• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tear seals - removable?

12 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Pantodude said:

Hi all.  An early SA book came back 2.0 restored, with the only restoration (per label and grader's notes) being "tear seals back cover C-1."  Are such tear seals generally removable to achieve a blue label? 

Generally, yes. Usually it is easy to loosen or remove the glue used to seal the tear. The disclaimer is that you should use a professional. 

3 hours ago, Pantodude said:

Hi all.  An early SA book came back 2.0 restored, with the only restoration (per label and grader's notes) being "tear seals back cover C-1."  Are such tear seals generally removable to achieve a blue label? 

Don't use CCS to remove a tear seal unless you like their "technique." I sent in an EC to have a tear seal removed and they removed it by cutting a V-shaped piece from the cover with a pair of scissors. Voila! Tear seal (and tear, and a 1/2" chunk of the cover) removed! And, of course, a shiny new Blue label to show the comic has been improved.   :facepalm:

1 minute ago, Black_Adam said:

Don't use CCS to remove a tear seal unless you like their "technique." I sent in an EC to have a tear seal removed and they removed it by cutting a V-shaped piece from the cover with a pair of scissors. Voila! Tear seal (and tear, and a 1/2" chunk of the cover) removed! And, of course, a shiny new Blue label to show the comic has been improved.   :facepalm:

:whatthe:  CCS would have been my default choice (I have never asked for this type of work before, so just assumed CCS).  Do I have other options?  

11 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

:whatthe:  CCS would have been my default choice (I have never asked for this type of work before, so just assumed CCS).  Do I have other options?  

yeah, a pro's pro was the first one to answer you.

Ah, good to know!   I'm still waiting to get the book back from CGC, so I'll wait to have the book in hand before I pester anyone for help (including you Joeypost!).  My first purple label, and with such minimal work done, maybe it will grow on me.  If I don't keep it purple, I will no longer have at least one of each of CGC's label types! 

1 hour ago, Pantodude said:

Ah, good to know!   I'm still waiting to get the book back from CGC, so I'll wait to have the book in hand before I pester anyone for help (including you Joeypost!).  My first purple label, and with such minimal work done, maybe it will grow on me.  If I don't keep it purple, I will no longer have at least one of each of CGC's label types! 

I would keep it purple. It is already a 2.0 so it will already be at the lower end of the value scale, and tear seals to the back cover are the least invasive form of resto (as opposed to trimmed which always hammers the value) and shouldn't greatly discourage any potential buyers should you choose to sell (and leaves them the choice to decide if they want to pay to have the tear seal removed). (thumbsu

Edited by Black_Adam

4 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

Good god! There aren't enough facepalms in the world

10 hours ago, Pantodude said:

Had originally posted that tear seals fall under Conserved Blue label but just noticed the C1 designation which probably accounts for the PLOD since Glue is included in the C Resto designation!

Edited by PovertyRow
Major correction

7 minutes ago, PovertyRow said:

Really confused here. CGC states that Conserved allows Tear Seals. Should this not be in a Blue Conserved label as opposed to the PLOD Restored? Possible mis-labeling?

My understanding is that the Conserved label is reserved for work that is professional AND slight, such that it presumably can be removed/reversed without any risk of harm to the book.  Structural support falls into this category easily.  I confirmed this when I obtained the grader notes for my conserved book...everything was "A-1" level.  

Edited by Pantodude

1 minute ago, Pantodude said:

My understanding is that the Conserved label is reserved for work that is professional AND slight, such that it can be removed/reversed without harming the book at all.  Structural support falls into this category easily.  I confirmed this when I obtained the grader notes for my conserved book...everything was "A-1" level.  

Dang you miusty have been typing that as I was correcting my post when I notced the C1 designation! At least GMTA!