• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dry cleaning is not considered restoration or conservation, but...

10 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

I'm not sure that dry cleaning can even be detected.

It can though. Poorly executed cleaning can leave eraser scuff, scuffed staples, obviously missed areas of the book. Those things can affect the grade obviously, but can they lead to a conserved or restored label is basically my question.

1 hour ago, GPCEE said:

If you're that worried then don't clean it  (shrug)

Cleaning and pressing are not mandatory lol

Im not worried. I just want to know. Its come up in discussion on other forums and I'm just trying to get a straight answer one way or the other. I did ask CGC too so maybe I will get my answer. 

1 hour ago, itcamefromthecopperage said:

Im not worried. I just want to know. Its come up in discussion on other forums and I'm just trying to get a straight answer one way or the other. I did ask CGC too so maybe I will get my answer. 

Bad dry cleaning will not result in a PLOD or conserved label. It WILL result in a lower grade if the person doing the cleaning has cement hands. 

Done right (and that includes a whole lot of variables) it should not immediately be visible to the naked eye.

6 hours ago, joeypost said:

Bad dry cleaning will not result in a PLOD or conserved label. It WILL result in a lower grade if the person doing the cleaning has cement hands. 

Done right (and that includes a whole lot of variables) it should not immediately be visible to the naked eye.

Yeah, that seems to be consensus. Some folks can be insistent though! I appreciate the insight. 

15 hours ago, itcamefromthecopperage said:

It can though. Poorly executed cleaning can leave eraser scuff, scuffed staples, obviously missed areas of the book. Those things can affect the grade obviously, but can they lead to a conserved or restored label is basically my question.

There are exceptions to every rule. Generally, it's undetected. That's why pressing isn't "restoration" by most grading standards.

On 5/31/2021 at 10:23 PM, Tony S said:

No. CGC determined the book was solvent cleaned.  

Late to the party, so who sees this I don't know. LoL You are correct Tony, but to be more precise, it almost always indicates inorganic solvents (water, peroxide, hypochlorite). Organic solvents won't get a purple/conserved label unless done wrong. My hypothesis is that is because while organic solvents can make a cover brighter, it doesn't seem to help the grade any. I mainly know this from tape removal (And a few solo solvent cleans on both sides of isle), as it requires organic cleaning follow up, or it's messy. Tape removal isn't considered restoration, and follow up it the right way to perform the removal.