• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Aussies out there with experience in submitting to CGC
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I don’t know the specifics, but if you’re a beginner submitting from Australia, then it’s not worth the cost IF the cost of shipping/customs is a factor in your decision making.  No room for tight margins for this type of endeavor. 

9 hours ago, revat said:

I don’t know the specifics, but if you’re a beginner submitting from Australia, then it’s not worth the cost IF the cost of shipping/customs is a factor in your decision making.  No room for tight margins for this type of endeavor. 

It's not so much the shipping but avoiding paying the GST (10%) on books that I already own. So if the raw book is $5k and I have purchased it within Australia previously then I have already paid the GST on the item. I want to ensure avoiding paying GST of $500 on it when it comes back through customs which is the normal process.

Same problem we have in Canada - you don't want to get dinged on books you already own.

In Canada there are government forms you can fill out that basically say they are your books being exported for evaluation to be returned to you.

Document every stage when you send the books out to CGC.

I would take pictures of them raw on a newspaper with today's date to prove you had them in Australia on so and so date. 

Keep the shipping information handy  - to and from CGC with the tracking numbers and have your CGC receipt also.

When the books come back to you and if they get stopped at customs you should be OK with all of this information.  This literally just happened to me last week in Canada and I had to drive to the US border this morning (40 minute drive) with all this "proof" to get my books back without paying duty on them.

I did have to pay duty on the CGC fees and @joeypost pressing fees but that was it since I had all of this documentation for Canada Customs.