• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lost in Space graphic novel-anyone know why its so valuable?
1 1

36 posts in this topic

My buddy just snagged this for $100-he's been trying to get one for a while.  Typically sells for $400-$500.  Anyone know what the deal is with this book?
Lost In Space : Voyage To The Bottom Of The Soul: Bill Mumy, Michal  Dutkiewicz, John Severin: 9780976543602: Amazon.com: Books

I haven't a clue, but I would venture to believe that it's due to scarcity since it's an obscure publisher (Bubblehead Publishing) for the TPB and for the comic (Innovation).  GCD states, "This book reprints the six issues that were done for Innovation, but then completes the story that Innovation was unable to finish. The book is copyright 2005; Amazon lists it as coming out on 2005-12-28 but it shipped to the direct market on 2006-03-29." 

You can get your copy from Amazon for a mere $1,449.98. https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Space-Voyage-Bottom-Soul/dp/0976543605/ref=sr_1_1?crid=33NV5B4N1YV3X&dchild=1&keywords=lost+in+space+voyage+to+the+bottom+of+the+soul&qid=1622610592&sprefix=lost+in+space+voya%2Caps%2C218&sr=8-1

1 minute ago, JazzMan said:

I haven't a clue, but I would venture to believe that it's due to scarcity since it's an obscure publisher (Bubblehead Publishing) for the TPB and for the comic (Innovation).  GCD states, "This book reprints the six issues that were done for Innovation, but then completes the story that Innovation was unable to finish. The book is copyright 2005; Amazon lists it as coming out on 2005-12-28 but it shipped to the direct market on 2006-03-29." 

You can get your copy from Amazon for a mere $1,449.98. https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Space-Voyage-Bottom-Soul/dp/0976543605/ref=sr_1_1?crid=33NV5B4N1YV3X&dchild=1&keywords=lost+in+space+voyage+to+the+bottom+of+the+soul&qid=1622610592&sprefix=lost+in+space+voya%2Caps%2C218&sr=8-1

Value is climbing on this book I can see it reaching $2000-$3000 - my buddy was shocked and stoked to snap up a copy so cheap.  Sometimes with a rare book not everyone is aware of it happens-but not often.  I've been trying to get a copy of Fast Times at Ridgemont High for many years-none of those slip thru the cracks cheap I can tell you that.  I also kick myself for not getting a copy when it was only $150.

5 minutes ago, greggy said:

That's what she said. 

I was thinking, "because greggy wants it"

1 minute ago, kav said:
10 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

"because greggy wants it"

Thats what she said.

That's what kav said

Just now, lizards2 said:

That's what kav said

It's a he said she said type deal I guess.

Just now, kav said:
1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

That's what kav said

It's a he said she said type deal I guess.

I'm interested to know what he said.

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

I'm interested to know what he said.

he said she said basicallly.

13 hours ago, kav said:

My buddy just snagged this for $100-he's been trying to get one for a while.  Typically sells for $400-$500.  Anyone know what the deal is with this book?
Lost In Space : Voyage To The Bottom Of The Soul: Bill Mumy, Michal  Dutkiewicz, John Severin: 9780976543602: Amazon.com: Books

Never known why it is this way, but can confirm. It's quite a chase item. Ironically, none of the Innovation comics are particularly valuable or hard to find (asking price for Annual 1 tends to be $10-20, but that's about the only one with any sort of price tag). But this TPB? Yikes.

I suspect that the print run was VERY small. Plus, crossover fans -- non-comic collectors interested in LiS stuff -- are always going to prefer a book to a stack of floppies. Add in that this compilation is the only way to actually read the whole story? Easy recipe to have demand outstrip supply.

From a collector standpoint, I've only ever seen a handful of these and almost all of them were just beat to heck. I don't know if Bubblehead hired random eBay sellers to pack their books for distribution, or if a lot of these have just been really well-loved since. Maybe both.

17 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

yep... Lost in Space stuff has a cult following

Billie Mummy PLUS Stan Lee? Fuggedaboutit.

48 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

Never known why it is this way, but can confirm. It's quite a chase item. Ironically, none of the Innovation comics are particularly valuable or hard to find (asking price for Annual 1 tends to be $10-20, but that's about the only one with any sort of price tag). But this TPB? Yikes.

I suspect that the print run was VERY small. Plus, crossover fans -- non-comic collectors interested in LiS stuff -- are always going to prefer a book to a stack of floppies. Add in that this compilation is the only way to actually read the whole story? Easy recipe to have demand outstrip supply.

From a collector standpoint, I've only ever seen a handful of these and almost all of them were just beat to heck. I don't know if Bubblehead hired random eBay sellers to pack their books for distribution, or if a lot of these have just been really well-loved since. Maybe both.

I've been on a search myself and when my buddy grabbed one for $100 I couldnt believe it.  Its not ragged or anything.

8 minutes ago, kav said:

I've been on a search myself and when my buddy grabbed one for $100 I couldnt believe it.  Its not ragged or anything.

That's what she said. 

1 minute ago, greggy said:

That's what she said. 

I'll squash you like a bug jackrabbit.

If I remember this correctly.  Innovation was doing a longer storyline that would essentially close out the original TV series.  Bankruptcy got in the way of that somewhere in the middle.  This TPB included the original published books, and I think also reunited Bill Mumy and the artist to finish it off.  Low print run, and never republished.  Be interesting to see what happens to the price if it's ever republished.  I don't think this is even available for download (at least not legally).