• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What does "willing to pay GPA" signal to you as a Seller?
3 3

What does "willing to pay GPA" signal to you as a seller?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. What does "willing to pay GPA" signal to you as a seller?

• Buyer is willing to pay FMV
    • Buyer will probably use selective GPA date to low-ball
    • GPA data is about as relevant as the Guide in today's market
    • Crack

66 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, kav said:

I'm not a seller, but I can give you my point of view on a buyers perspective.  I dont care what one asks for a book, if I like the book and its grade I will pay over FMV . I dont negotiate prices, just dont have time for that. So if you have that special book that matches all my criteria,  you know I will leave meat on the bone for you. If you give me some kind of outlandish price I will just tell you no. I'm sure there's another one around the corner.

2c

6 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

just dont have time for that.

Aint nobody got time for that!

6 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I'm sure there's another one around the corner.

That's what she said!

16 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I'm not a seller, but I can give you my point of view on a buyers perspective.  I dont care what one asks for a book, if I like the book and its grade I will pay over FMV . I dont negotiate prices, just dont have time for that. So if you have that special book that matches all my criteria,  you know I will leave meat on the bone for you. If you give me some kind of outlandish price I will just tell you no. I'm sure there's another one around the corner.

2c

Like many sales guys here like Bob, for instance . I know he has to pay business expenses,  so I would be more thoughtful towards someone like him than to an individual who is selling books at home on the side type of thing.

My assumption is someone saying they will pay GPA is looking for a deal on the book and likely still will pass unless it is below GPA.  I have quit responding to WTB although I try to use it from time to time (zero luck recently).

32 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

My assumption is someone saying they will pay GPA is looking for a deal on the book and likely still will pass unless it is below GPA.  I have quit responding to WTB although I try to use it from time to time (zero luck recently).

It has to be some motivation to get a book cheaper otherwise just pay the asking price.

11 minutes ago, kav said:

It has to be some motivation to get a book cheaper otherwise just pay the asking price.

That's what she said. 

14 hours ago, kav said:

If you are a serious buyer why not just quote some numbers

Looking for Amazing Spiderman 2 with white or off-white to white pages, no marvel chipping in the 6.0 to 7.0 range.  I can spend depending on eye appeal:

6.0 - up to $7500

6.5 - up to $8200

7.0 - up to $9500

Edited by batman_fan

8 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

If you are a serious buyer why not just quote some numbers

Looking for Amazing Spiderman 2 with white or off-white to white pages, no marvel chipping in the 6.0 to 7.0 range.  I can spend depending on eye appeal:

6.0 - up to $7500

6.5 - up to $8200

7.0 - up to $9500

This is what I’ve done in the WTB section.  For example:

WTB ASM 129. Cgc 9.8 white pages with good spine centering.  Paying $28K (or whatever one would have to pay now).

17 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

This is what I’ve done in the WTB section.  For example:

WTB ASM 129. Cgc 9.8 white pages with good spine centering.  Paying $28K (or whatever one would have to pay now).

I think posting a price you are willing to pay cuts down on wasting peoples time.

1 hour ago, KPR Comics said:

Posting a WTB for a Hulk 1, X1, AF15, Hulk 181 ... by saying PM what you got or paying GPA, means one thing to me:  I will low ball you

"PM what you got" s definitely a bad sign, I ignore people like that.

"Paying GPA" is not as much of a turn off for me ... I am inclined to give the benefit of the doubt that the person basically means "FMV" by some good-faith definition.  In other words, I interpret it to mean that if I as the seller can point to current market comps that are not captured in GPA, they will try to work with me to arrive at something reasonable.  Of course, if they prove otherwise I can always walk.

15 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

"PM what you got" s definitely a bad sign, I ignore people like that.

why is PM what you got bad?

16 minutes ago, kav said:

why is PM what you got bad?

At best, it's lazy and inconsiderate -- the buyer is asking sellers to guess at exactly what he wants, and there's a very good chance their time will be wasted.

At worst, it's an obvious negotiation tactic -- a clumsy attempt to make the seller feel like they're chasing the buyer's interest when in fact it's the buyer who is initiating the request and therefore in a weaker negotiating position.

From my experience as both buyer and seller, there are certain behaviors that I know are highly correlated with bad deals.  Lazy communication is very high on that list for me.

13 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

At best, it's lazy and inconsiderate -- the buyer is asking sellers to guess at exactly what he wants, and there's a very good chance their time will be wasted.

At worst, it's an obvious negotiation tactic -- a clumsy attempt to make the seller feel like they're chasing the buyer's interest when in fact it's the buyer who is initiating the request and therefore in a weaker negotiating position.

From my experience as both buyer and seller, there are certain behaviors that I know are highly correlated with bad deals.  Lazy communication is very high on that list for me.

smart