• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What does "willing to pay GPA" signal to you as a Seller?
3 3

What does "willing to pay GPA" signal to you as a seller?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. What does "willing to pay GPA" signal to you as a seller?

• Buyer is willing to pay FMV
    • Buyer will probably use selective GPA date to low-ball
    • GPA data is about as relevant as the Guide in today's market
    • Crack

66 posts in this topic

Nothing.

Most times that I've contacted a WTB through the boards I didn't make a sale. People don't want to buy what you have, they always want what you don't have. lol

3 hours ago, KPR Comics said:

No idea if I correctly did the poll

I suppose it would help if you clarified what FMV means:

Latest documented sale price

An avg of the last handful of sales

30 day avg

90 day avg

2 hours ago, KCOComics said:

I think it's a generalization that they will pay current market prices and not look for extreme discounts. 

I've made eBay offers on books where the seller has vastly overpriced a book compared to 90-day averages - I've offered fair market or sometimes even some percentage over depending on how much I want the book. It's been fairly received a couple of times, but usually it goes ignored or gets a counter for about $20 less than the asking. So as a buyer, I'm trying to signal that I want the book, but I don't want to overpay.

I’ve done exactly this recently. Book was listed for 600. 90 day GPA was 475. I offered 550 stating that I wasn’t trying to lowball - it’s a very desirable book - but was happy to offer 75 over GPA. The seller accepted. 

Edited by Arkham
Clarify GPA as 90 day not last sale. Last two sales were $493 and $456

9 hours ago, kav said:

Could also mean the book is heating up so they want the old price.

And similarly, I've seen this tactic used to specifically ignore surrounding sales. For example, if below indicates last sale or 90 day average, they will offer $400 for a 7.5.

8.0 $1K

7.5 $400 (older data)

7.0 $800

Edited by Callaway29

To me it means that GPA/FMV is confusing AF in today's market. Used to be sellers were specifically looking for buyers willing to pay GPA. Now it seems like a buyer willing to pay GPA is seen as some kind of trickster? 

I think this is a difficult time for both buyers and sellers.  Hard to know for example if last sale or an IG sale is now the FMV or just a case of crazy market FOMO resulting in overpaying. Buyers don't want to pay based on an unsubstantiated high sale and sellers don't want to use potentially outdated GPA data for the average. 

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

The other thing to consider when you are selling a book is do you want a museum piece or a sale.

Exactly - I was at an LCS where they had a raw book marked at $15 in the boxes. Took it up to pay, and they said, "oh, that's an old price - let me get you a new one." Came back and told me the new price was $75, so I walked. It's a $30 book, maybe $40 on a good day. I wasn't looking to rip off the shop, but they had it marked and out on the floor. Maybe they'll find a buyer eventually, but they lost out on future business from me.

1 hour ago, serling1978 said:

...Now it seems like a buyer willing to pay GPA is seen as some kind of trickster?

I wouldn't say that. It's an odd statement - to me - to say, "I'll pay GPA/FMV!" Well, no sheesh, if you don't then someone else will.

6 minutes ago, Jesse-Lee said:

Exactly - I was at an LCS where they had a raw book marked at $15 in the boxes. Took it up to pay, and they said, "oh, that's an old price - let me get you a new one." Came back and told me the new price was $75, so I walked. It's a $30 book, maybe $40 on a good day. I wasn't looking to rip off the shop, but they had it marked and out on the floor. Maybe they'll find a buyer eventually, but they lost out on future business from me.

Yeah, I’d walk too. If they have it priced to low, that’s on them and they should honor it. I’ve done it as a seller. Suks but nobody’s fault but mine. 

Now if I have it priced to low and a buyer offers me less, I take it away and tell them to leave. Have had some astonished people who then whine they will pay sticker. I just let them know they have learned an important life lesson. 

1 hour ago, Jesse-Lee said:

If it has a price sticker, they are legally required to sell at that price.

38 minutes ago, D84 said:

If it has a price sticker, they are legally required to sell at that price.

I agree with that sentiment, but it never works out in real-world situations. Well, maybe at the big box stores, but at an LCS there's not much recourse to make them stick to the price unfortunately.

5 hours ago, Arkham said:

I’ve done exactly this recently. Book was listed for 600. 90 day GPA was 475. I offered 550 stating that I wasn’t trying to lowball - it’s a very desirable book - but was happy to offer 75 over GPA. The seller accepted. 

No one should think offering $550 on a $600 book is lowballing. I routinely get offers on items at half or less of asking prices through eBay.