• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What size bag and boards do you use?
1 1

19 posts in this topic

So finally after ages I have finally finished organizing my collection.

Books are in the file cabinets and grouped. I sold off some books that don't fit in my collection.  Now to mount the OA on walls and get the action figures out of storage next.

I have to re bag and board a large part of the collection.

What size should I use. Modern for modern?

Some of the moderns are snug when I put them in the modern bags and can be a issue to remove

Should I move up a size? They might be looser but will be easier to remove.

Been using modern for a while, but just recently switched to Silver.

Moderns are fine for your everyday, run-of-the-mill Marvel and DC copies. Anything with better quality pages or thicker covers I frequently find is too tight though. Silver seems to be the best overall option. I don't find the books are loose at all as it's only like an extra quarter inch of space.

Edited by Tnexus

3 hours ago, mrc said:

My collection consists of Silver/Bronze & Modern. All my books go in Standard or Silver/Gold bags........no exceptions.

Same. I’ve found the Standard size accommodates almost everything very well. It leaves a little room on more modern books but I’m comfortable with that.

Whatever the previous owner had them in unless they are finished or not bagged. I don't like spending money on comic supplies or bagging comics all night. Modern is fine for modern drek. I like standard for anything the past 50 or so years. 

I'd probably go with the majority here as I'm sure they have good reasons for going Standard...by I bag my Silver in Silver Age bags and my moderns in modern. Just my preference. I do have some difficulty removing them...have to be careful. However, I rarely remove them. Most will stay that way until I decide to re-bag them in 10 - 15 years. I've got 18,000 to re-bag and I think to date I've done about 1400 only. But I don't mind...it is a hobby after all. Something to do in my spare time. 

6 hours ago, Ares said:

Books are in the file cabinets and grouped. I sold off some books that don't fit in my collection.  Now to mount the OA on walls and get the action figures out of storage next.

Some of the moderns are snug when I put them in the modern bags and can be a issue to remove

I use GA bags for everything.  

9 hours ago, Ares said:

I use 725 M2’s on FB’s for almost everything. Looks great. 

I think this thread is the one you want to help you make your choice: 

GA bag n boards for everything,  then put the higher dollar books in a magazine top loader. 

Same with my mags. Magazine bag n boards, with magazine top loader.

With magazine holders for ease of organizing the catalog,  and use

Works great for me.

20200207_185835.jpg

I put moderns in modern size, silver (or larger/thicker moderns) in silver size, etc.  I'd once heard a convincing argument that the extra space afforded by putting a modern in a silver-size bag/board is extra wiggle room for damage (from dropping, etc).  However, I must say I like the look and feel of a "snug" book.  

My biggest motivation for how I do things, though, is that I'm poor and modern bags/boards are generally a few bucks cheaper than silver size.  I have a large collection, and that savings adds up.  

I use the standard sized mylars with fullbacks for my silver age books and the silver/golden sized mylars with fullbacks for my golden age books.  I'd convert to all silver/golden mylars but they dont fit inside the BCW plastic storage bins I have.