• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEED EXPERT OPINIONS: With This Large Rip Would This Get A Blue Label?
1 1

19 posts in this topic

I have the option to buy an ASM 4 (which I've wanted for a while) at a great price, but not sure how CGC will value or grade this with the large rip through the whole book. Its sad to see it like this but in a slab I would assume it would present well. Since I'm not sure what color label I would get in return. If its anything other than blue I'm not interested... but wanted to ask the CGC gurus here! Thanks for your help

IMG_1736.JPG

IMG_1737.JPG

IMG_1742.JPG

IMG_1738.JPG

Edited by RoccoAJr

8 minutes ago, shadroch said:

It would look just as nice in a simple mylar. 

It's subjective, but a great price on this particular book would be well under $400. 

But would you estimate a blue label or would this come back as qualified?

6 hours ago, RoccoAJr said:

I have the option to buy an ASM 4 (which I've wanted for a while) at a great price, but not sure how CGC will value or grade this with the large rip through the whole book. Its sad to see it like this but in a slab I would assume it would present well. Since I'm not sure what color label I would get in return. If its anything other than blue I'm not interested... but wanted to ask the CGC gurus here! Thanks for your help

Pretty sure you can specifically request a blue label. It will just get a very low grade.

Others are saying blue label but this is exactly the situation the green label was invented for. Other than the big rip it looks fairly nice like around a 5.0 with the big flaw... this risks a green label.

But you can request that it get a blue label and they will instead dock the score accordingly. If you did that I'm thinking it gets a .5 rather than a 1.0 blue label but you can ask and it should then get a blue label no matter what

Just now, Scream For Me Long Beach! said:

Hmmmm I'm on the fence. The Green label is usually for a higher grade book with one major flaw, where it'd be a shame to give a nice looking book a low grade. I think this book is low grade enough without the giant rip that it wouldn't get a Green. It's not like it's missing a coupon or page, that's just regular damage to me.

Interesting. I never heard it explained as higher grade but with a flaw you might not otherwise notice I always heard that it was just a book that looks considerably higher grade than it is due to a major flaw that could be missed. To me, the difference between a 5.0 and a 1.0 or .5 would qualify for that - see what I did there :kidaround: - but I'm not expert. I don't think this tear would be anything close to invisible but if it was slabbed and compressed just so it might be easy to miss at a glance which to me is what they made the green label for but again, not an expert.

I could look at that splash page all day. One of Ditko's very best :cloud9:

Just now, Scream For Me Long Beach! said:

I guess it depends on CGC's cut-off point, which they will never tell us, of course. To me 5.0 is low grade enough to just call it all damage and give it a Blue. It's clear as mud!

Screenshot_20210607-182518.png

If we were talking the difference between a 5.0 and a 1.0 on a modern book I'd agree with you but that's ASM #4!

Like you said it's clear as mud but I wonder if the difference in value between grades is a factor in whether it gets a green label or not? Wouldn't be surprised if that were part of how CGC determined what was or wasn't a significant difference. We all know that CGC now spends 95% of their time researching your books to see if they can bump you up a grading tier :grin:

If any case if OP wants to be sure they'll get a blue label they just need to note it on their order. This isn't really one tear it's a tear large enough to count as multiple defects on every page and each cover so that would be considered somewhere in the realm of 64-96 flaws right there, depending on the grader. So I'd say 0.5. Could be the prettiest 0.5 on the census though, beautiful book otherwise but the tear is large

13 hours ago, BoogieWoogie said:

Others are saying blue label but this is exactly the situation the green label was invented for. Other than the big rip it looks fairly nice like around a 5.0 with the big flaw... this risks a green label.

But you can request that it get a blue label and they will instead dock the score accordingly. If you did that I'm thinking it gets a .5 rather than a 1.0 blue label but you can ask and it should then get a blue label no matter what

No.

1 minute ago, BoogieWoogie said:

Really helpful, this adds a lot to the conversation and is instructive for myself and other readers who are only here trying to share what knowledge they do have and learn more. 

Awesome contribution to the board and its culture:eyeroll:

Take your own advice.

I don't think people understand the green label...

Here is a list of 16 random CGC green label books and the reason they were green labelled

1) Hulk 181 CGC 5.5- qualified due to missing MVS

2) Strange Tales 135 CGC 7.5- qualified due to 2 center wraps being married from another issue to this copy

3)X-Men 1 CGC 5.0- qualified due to the first page wrap being married

4) Harbinger 1 CGC 9.8- qualified due to a coupon cut

5) FF 50 CGC 3.5- qualified due to pieces missing from two interior pages, story not affected

6) Batman 181 CGC 7.0- qualified due to poster page cut out

7) Spawn 4 CGC 9.0- qualified due to interior Image coupon cut

8) Batman 253 CGC 9.6- qualified due to cover being detached from bottom staple

9) Walking Dead 19 CGC 7.5- qualified due to unverified signatures

10) ASM 238 CGC 9.4- qualified due to Tatooz missing

11) ASM 121 CGC 9.4- qualified due to two interior pages missing that do not affect the story

12) FF 36 CGC 6.0- qualified due to page missing, story unaffected

13) She Hulk 1 CGC 8.5- qualified due to cover detached bottom staple

14) ASm 19 CGC 3.5- qualified due to missing non story page

15) Detective Comics 91 CGC 7.0- qualified due to 5 missing pages, story affected

16) ASM 131 CGC 7.5- qualified due to missing MVS

I could go on, but the green label seems to appear when

-you have an unwitnessed signature on a book

-you have a missing stamp/cutout/insert

-you have a missing page, whether it affects story or not

-you have pages from other copies married to create a complete copy

-you have a high grade book that is detached at a staple

So to answer the original question, I don't believe that rip makes it green. It will be seen as a defect and given the proper grade as a blue label and, as thought, will likely present very well. 

Edited by comicginger1789