• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Surfer #3

43 posts in this topic

On 6/14/2021 at 11:21 AM, Jeffro. said:

Maybe he will show up again

silversurferseller.jpg.223d1d1af0121f8cc9266f5b79fbc042.jpg

Maybe he’s made a mistake and asked for a bit of advise. He’s been told it’s not what he thought it was which was s cool. 

mistajes happen, when did we become so snobby to keep this lame joke going ?? 

55 minutes ago, BingBing said:

When Noobs don't do an ounce of research on their own, their overconfidence is amusing. A mild but stern dressing down is required.

Everybody was a noob once. Like I said, when as a bunch of collectors did we become so elitist and feel the need to mock people ? 

Nothing was overconfident, it was merely a post and mistake about about a comic buddy. 

39 minutes ago, The lips said:

Everybody was a noob once. Like I said, when as a bunch of collectors did we become so elitist and feel the need to mock people ? 

Nothing was overconfident, it was merely a post and mistake about about a comic buddy. 

I've noticed the same thing. These boards are a great community but could be even better if there was a little more humility. The IG comic community has a much closer knit "family" feel to it. Nothing wrong with a little joking around but some people just go overboard. Hope OP comes back.

7 minutes ago, Motor City Rob said:

I've noticed the same thing. These boards are a great community but could be even better if there was a little more humility. The IG comic community has a much closer knit "family" feel to it. Nothing wrong with a little joking around but some people just go overboard. Hope OP comes back.

I don't have IG, but I agree with your point. I never understood what people gain by 💩 on newby questions. 

Even if the answer is easily accessible with Google, it doesn't bother me to answer questions and offer advice.  Often, you have to know what to Google to find what your looking for and people totally new to the hobby wouldn't know where to start. 

Also, besides my kids, there is basically no one in my adult life who cares to listen to me talk about comic. I'm an encyclopedia of information few people care about... So why miss an opportunity to bore a stranger with my knowledge? 

2 hours ago, Fisionbomb said:

Mistaken comic identity aside, it was over for the OP as soon as they typed down "near mint"...

and chose that username. Their intentions are clear and not needed here (or anywhere, really).

But, as already pointed out, they have not even bothered to return, at least not while signed-in.

2 hours ago, Fisionbomb said:

Mistaken comic identity aside, it was over for the OP as soon as they typed down "near mint"...

People that don't know comics probably don't know what Near Mint means either. We might take it for granted since we deal with it every day of our lives. Not a reason to shun someone, IMO.

the OP knew some information: knew enough to buy a Silver Surfer #3. Now they know about reprints, grading, value, Ebay sold for valuation/pricing and so much more. These boards are great! And if you can't take a gentle ribbing an internet forum is no place for you.

8 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

These boards are great! And if you can't take a gentle ribbing an internet forum is no place for you.

Yup. In life you need a thicker skin and as far as mocking is concerned, this was extremely mild. 

17 hours ago, Motor City Rob said:

He won't....his dreams of cashing in on this ultra rare expensive comic have been dashed.....

OP said he was "new to comic books", obviously just came here to ask about selling this, and by the tone, "to someone who would appreciate it" didn't come off as thinking he had a goldmine and trying to get rich selling it.

Google probably led him here and he probably picked a username specific for this post. 

If he walked into an LCS with it to ask these questions, I hope he wouldn't get mocked publicly by owners or customers for not knowing what he had.

Edited by jcjames

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

If I go into a card shop with a Pikachu printed in 2010 that was bent in half and announced, "I have a near mint 1999 Pikachu to sell", I would accept the ridicule coming my way.

Yet if he said it was in "good condition" would he also be ridiculed for not knowing what "good" grade means?

54 minutes ago, jcjames said:

If he walked into an LCS with it to ask these questions, I hope he wouldn't get mocked publicly by owners or customers for not knowing what he had.

Based on some LCS owners and convention dealers I've encountered, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that happen.

Edited by Jeffro.

1 hour ago, jcjames said:

Yet if he said it was in "good condition" would he also be ridiculed for not knowing what "good" grade means?

Exactly. Damned if you do.....

I don't post nearly as often as others here, but I do read quite a few topics. I'll admit that I chuckle when I see some of the bashing that goes on. I also think having thick skin is VERY important to get through this life. But, I don't think newcomers are used to the behavior here on the boards, so it's a little bit of a culture shock when they get hit by some of the personalities here. I think it's good practice to ease people into the experience so that they feel invited to keep coming back. I agree, this OP may be gone forever. Depending on what their true intentions were, maybe that's a good thing. We want people who are going to contribute to the growth of the boards and willingness to learn.

3 minutes ago, Motor City Rob said:

I also think having thick skin is VERY important to get through this life.

You had me, here, but then...

3 minutes ago, Motor City Rob said:

I think it's good practice to ease people into the experience so that they feel invited to keep coming back.

Boo This Man GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

2 hours ago, jcjames said:

OP said he was "new to comic books", obviously just came here to ask about selling this, and by the tone, "to someone who would appreciate it" didn't come off as thinking he had a goldmine and trying to get rich selling it.

Google probably led him here and he probably picked a username specific for this post. 

Apparently your translator is broken.

"someone who would appreciate it" = "somebody with a large bank account who's willing to pay for it :flipbait::flipbait:"

If he walked into a comic shop and told them he wanted to sell his "Near Mint Silver Surfer 3" he would probably be mocked. If he walked into a comic shop and told them he wanted to sell the comic he had, he would probably get an explanation of what he had and why they didn't want it... after which, he would accuse them of trying to rip him off.