• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic four #5 vs Avengers #8
5 5

119 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Bo1983 said:

If u check the CGC submission for both books there almost even on the numbered submitted.I do not no the raw copy numbers there might be more raw of avengers 8?

You have to remember that people only send in books that are worth getting graded. So that tells us for a fact that there are way more Avengers 8 out there since no one is sending in their low grade copies (less than 10 sent in the lower grade segments). While we see many lower grade FF 5 being sent in, those are worthwhile. And remember, for every book from 1930-1968, there are way more mid to low grade copies out there than higher grade books.

So look at it this way, if both have the same amount sent in, but it is only worthwhile to send in low grade copies of FF 5, then that must mean there are a bunch of low grade Avengers 8 out there. 

And you can extend that rarity to the higher grades too. In terms of what is sent in, FF5 is rarer than Avengers 8 in the higher grade segments. There are only 34 graded as 8.0 while Avengers 8 has over 100 graded at 8.0. With how much an 8.0 FF 5 would get you, only the die hards with no intention of selling are keeping those raw.

All this points to FF 5 being far rarer despite as many graded copies out there. 

12 minutes ago, kav said:

someimes the market comes to its senses for years Conan 24 was first red sonja now its 23. maybe someday hulk 180 :wishluck:

Avengers 8 is like hulk 181 and xmen 266. Hard to beat the cover appearance with big bold letters saying "This is KANG the  Conqerer "  vs  Rama tut in a loincloth 

2 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

You have to remember that people only send in books that are worth getting graded. So that tells us for a fact that there are way more Avengers 8 out there since no one is sending in their low grade copies (less than 10 sent in the lower grade segments). While we see many lower grade FF 5 being sent in, those are worthwhile. And remember, for every book from 1930-1968, there are way more mid to low grade copies out there than higher grade books.

So look at it this way, if both have the same amount sent in, but it is only worthwhile to send in low grade copies of FF 5, then that must mean there are a bunch of low grade Avengers 8 out there. 

And you can extend that rarity to the higher grades too. In terms of what is sent in, FF5 is rarer than Avengers 8 in the higher grade segments. There are only 34 graded as 8.0 while Avengers 8 has over 100 graded at 8.0. With how much an 8.0 FF 5 would get you, only the die hards with no intention of selling are keeping those raw.

All this points to FF 5 being far rarer despite as many graded copies out there. 

Good point i figured that when I saw the ratio of the high grades.

1 minute ago, Wolverinex said:

Avengers 8 is like hulk 181 and xmen 266. Hard to beat the cover appearance with big bold letters saying "This is KANG the  Conqerer "  vs  Rama tut in a loincloth 

dont under estimate loin cloths.

Avengers 8 is going to see big gains, especially if the overall perception among collectors and moviegoers is positive. It's a great looking book, it's still somewhat attainable in most grades for many collectors and it has plenty of room to grow, which makes snagging a copy that much more appealing. Will it outprice FF5? Doubtful but then again, it probably shouldn't. Doom is up there with the Joker as far as I'm concerned, in terms of his accolades as a villain. If Marvel plays this right though, Kang could be a well know name just as Thanos is now. 

9 hours ago, kav said:

someimes the market comes to its senses for years Conan 24 was first red sonja now its 23. maybe someday hulk 180 :wishluck:

Hulk 180 is taking off now too I’m even seeing 182 getting steam 

12 minutes ago, Comics4All said:

I would take FF 5 all day, every day over  Avengers 8! 

Both covers are awesome I do have to give the edge the fantastic four cover both villains are great!I like both doom and Kang but Magneto is my Favorite villain!!!

Edited by Bo1983

As much as I love Avengers 8 and hopes it matches FF 5 in price, I highly doubt it ever will and I don't think it should.  I have high hopes for Avengers 8, but, if it did match FF5 in price at some point, I feel like most people, myself included, would trade theirs in a heartbeat for a FF 5, which there aren't enough of to go around.  I like Kang more than Doom personally, but I just didn't see that many FF 5s (in any grade) at cons years ago but would see quite a few Avengers 8 at each one (though mostly low-mid grade). That said, I think Kang has the potential for an awesome sci-fi epic across films and I'm looking forward to see anything they do with him in the MCU. 

252023067_IMG_2264(1).thumb.jpg.2256a993129e0b0b1e82fe162230c372.jpg

3 minutes ago, NEED MO DAKKA said:

As much as I love Avengers 8 and hopes it matches FF 5 in price, I highly doubt it ever will and I don't think it should.  I have high hopes for Avengers 8, but, if it did match FF5 in price at some point, I feel like most people, myself included, would trade theirs in a heartbeat for a FF 5, which there aren't enough of to go around.  I like Kang more than Doom personally, but I just didn't see that many FF 5s (in any grade) at cons years ago but would see quite a few Avengers 8 at each one (though mostly low-mid grade). That said, I think Kang has the potential for an awesome sci-fi epic across films and I'm looking forward to see anything they do with him in the MCU. 

252023067_IMG_2264(1).thumb.jpg.2256a993129e0b0b1e82fe162230c372.jpg

Fancy copy!

7 minutes ago, kav said:

For a guy with 30th century technology at his disposal he sure is useless.  A 10 year old with 30th century tech would defeat any current military force.

Are his purple thigh high boots in fashion in the 30th Century?