• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signature required really??? WTH!!!
2 2

50 posts in this topic

After waiting a week from the 1st delivery attempt for my ebay win. Knowing that because of the value I would need to sign for the parcel and having missed the first 2 attempts my wife stayed home all day on the 3rd and fed ex was a no show. But their web site said delivery attempt was made and there was no one home. 

calling customer service was pointless as the call center can do nothing but apologize and tell you that the attempt will be tried the next business day. 

I asked if parcel could be held at my local fed ex hub, I was told no the only one who could request a change of delivery address was the seller. 

I was notified via email that parcel would be attempted Monday 6/14. Around 12pm today Saturday 6/12  fed ex showed up with the parcel and I did not need to show ID or sign for the parcel.  I asked why she didn’t want a signature while the seller paid for it she said it’s a covid thing and signatures are not required.

anyone else have situations like this since covid began or has it always been like this???

Edited by anstettoman

Yes, this has happened to me multiple times during the pandemic. Shipping companies are happy to charge extra for the service without ever actually providing that service. It's a scam, in my opinion. They know they aren't going to collect the signature, so they shouldn't be offering it as an option. 

50 minutes ago, catman76 said:

I dont know about fedex but USPS hasn't required signatures since covid started. The carrier just has to make sure someone gets the package that is all. if they can't hand it off to someone or see someone get it then they can't leave it.

Although USPS doesn't require a signature as a condition of delivery with their standard $3 signature confirmation service, the carrier able to initial in the recipient's stead and release the parcel to anyone or leave anywhere the carrier wishes to, a signature by the recipient is still required upon delivery, as a condition of delivery for two types of signature service. Registered mail, at a cost of about $15, and the infrequently used Restricted signature service, which is a step up from the standard signature confirmation, at a cost of about $9. Although I imagine there  are lazy carriers who will still make unsecured deliveries of parcels with these services, the incidence of their doing so is far less the norm than when using the basic $3 signature confirmation service. 

Haven't signed for a package since cov. Sometimes they bring it to door and ring. Sometimes they just leave it sitting on driveway. I still prefer this over having to track packages down. 

44 minutes ago, I_Am_Not_A_Cat said:

Haven't signed for a package since cov. Sometimes they bring it to door and ring. Sometimes they just leave it sitting on driveway. I still prefer this over having to track packages down. 

If it's a high value package and I pay for signature confirmation, I expect the delivery person to at least wait to make sure the package is picked up instead of just leaving it there.

I haven't signed for anything since covid, I've always just been asked "what's your name?".  I'd like to think they're looking to hear that the name matches that of the recipient, but I don't know.  As far as I know, they're just acknowledging that someone at the residence accepted the package.

So I haven't had this problem, mostly because I've been home and in fact out in the front yard when FedEx arrives.  But the last FedEx guy, when I said, "Do I need to sign for that?" told me he could "fill out the paperwork as long as I see you're here."  

10 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

If it's a high value package and I pay for signature confirmation, I expect the delivery person to at least wait to make sure the package is picked up instead of just leaving it there.

I haven't signed for anything since covid, I've always just been asked "what's your name?".  I'd like to think they're looking to hear that the name matches that of the recipient, but I don't know.  As far as I know, they're just acknowledging that someone at the residence accepted the package.

Never been asked my name. Just today I went to the door and opened it, guy turned around as he was walking back to his truck I gave him a nod, but he just dropped the box, rang bell and bolted. I am surprised I haven't noticed a ton of post about ebay case nightmares. I guess maybe the shipping drivers must mark signature received. 

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

Although USPS doesn't require a signature as a condition of delivery with their standard $3 signature confirmation service, the carrier able to initial in the recipient's stead and release the parcel to anyone or leave anywhere the carrier wishes to, a signature by the recipient is still required upon delivery, as a condition of delivery for two types of signature service. Registered mail, at a cost of about $15, and the infrequently used Restricted signature service, which is a step up from the standard signature confirmation, at a cost of about $9. Although I imagine there  are lazy carriers who will still make unsecured deliveries of parcels with these services, the incidence of their doing so is far less the norm than when using the basic $3 signature confirmation service. 

I've had the USPS drop off several registered mail shipments without getting signature confirmation (or even seeing a human) over the last year. That is not at all compliant with USPS policy for registered mail, but since nothing bad happened as a result, I've opted not to make a fuss.

Picking an unnecessary fight with your mail carrier is almost as dumb as picking a fight with your office janitorial staff.

30 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

Picking an unnecessary fight with your mail carrier is almost as dumb as picking a fight with your office janitorial staff.

Yep or the fast food drive thru person.  Had a GF that was rude to drive thru girl-when GF asked me what I wanted I said "nothing".  She didnt believe me when i said they can spit on your food or do other things.  I just shrugged.  She was always being nasty to people-honked her horn at guy in crosswalk once and recieved nice huge dent in her new car.  
Read abt one guy who kept complaining abt mail carrier ended up on no delivery list-had to go to post office to pick up mail from then on.

28 minutes ago, kav said:

Had a GF that was rude to drive thru girl-when GF asked me what I wanted I said "nothing".  

Did you answer her question with just the one word, "nothing", or did you say what most usually do, "I don't want nothing"? Which taken literally would mean that you do want something? 

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Did you answer her question with just the one word, "nothing", or did you say what most usually do, "I don't want nothing"? Which taken literally would mean that you do want something? 

I just said "nothing".  with a look like "you insufficiently_thoughtful_person".

18 minutes ago, kav said:

I just said "nothing".  with a look like "you insufficiently_thoughtful_person".

Good. You didn't fall into a trap. I always catch people in double negatives. 

Like in Gangs of New York, when Bill the Butcher says, "Don't you never come in without nothing", which is actually a quadruple negative and that DiCaprio should always go in without anything, technically speaking! :facepalm:  

Ahhh.. Hollywood. Got to love it!! :banana:

Edited by James J Johnson

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Good. You didn't fall into a trap. I always catch people in double negatives. 

Like in Gangs of New York, when Bill the Butcher says, "Don't you never come in without nothing", which is actually a quadruple negative and that DiCaprio should always go in without anything, technically speaking! :facepalm:  

Ahhh.. Hollywood. Got to love it!! :banana:

In Spanish you can use double negatives!
No tengo Nada!

1 minute ago, kav said:

In Spanish you can use double negatives!
No tengo Nada!

Well, if it were me, the next time I visited Bill, I'd go brazenly empty handed. He'd menacingly yell, "I though I told you don't you never come in here empty handed?". I'd calmly and glibly explain to him that's exactly what I'm doing, as so ordered by him! I'm just doing what he asked, and if he meant, "Bring me something when you come in here", that he simply should have said that in plain English because that's not what he said! "Don't you never" means "always". Of course, he'd already have been advancing towards me with blade in hand, and he'd wipe the smirk from my face by gutting me like a fish, but at least hopefully, in the future, he'd work on his English language skills! 

3 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Well, if it were me, the next time I visited Bill, I'd go brazenly empty handed. He'd menacingly yell, "I though I told you don't you never come in here empty handed?". I'd calmly and glibly explain to him that's exactly what I'm doing, as so ordered by him! I'm just doing what he asked, and if he meant, "Bring me something when you come in here", that he simply should have said that in plain English because that's not what he said! "Don't you never" means "always". Of course, he'd already have been advancing towards me with blade in hand, and he'd wipe the smirk from my face by gutting me like a fish, but at least hopefully, in the future, he'd work on his English language skills! 

possibly he would stab in a double negative fashion and end up sticking himself!

Just now, James J Johnson said:

That's right. He could double negative stab and slash to his heart's content and there wouldn't be a mark on me!  ^^

bingo