• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars #1 Signature Series Pricing Question

15 posts in this topic

I have a Star Wars #1 (1977) CGC signed by Roy Thomas & Howard Chaykin.

If I went to a convention where the Star Wars cast are going and I go to the CGC booth to break to capsule and have them witness 10 new signatures on it and have it re-cgc'd, how much would all of that cost?

I think it may vary, but to ballpark it

$5 crack the slab

$135 express grading fee, assuming your comic is worth less than $3k (this fee covers the first new signature as well) 

$5-$8 invoice fee (not per book, this will cover other books you submit other books in same tier)

$5-$10 per additional sig (I can’t remember the pricing, but it’s $5-$10, and they may not charge for all of them).

So that’s about $200-$250

so that’s the submission fees, and it assumes you’re using a Cgc witness from the booth and carrying the book around yourself (as opposed to using a contracted CGC facilitator).

but also you would need to consider fees that go to the signer.  And Return shipping fees and insurance (if applicable).

and if it’s a special Cgc signing they might have more or less fees.  

What convention has 10+ Star Wars guys in the future?

Doubt CGC will be present the way their focus is on other matters. Then you would need to hook up with a CGC witness that was present.

You can save 5 bucks cracking it out yourself at the booth if they are present.

Not sure of value, but I never paid for express grading and usually around 40 bucks if it fits the correct tier. Witness may have up charges as well. 

16 minutes ago, Yoda Master said:

How do they crack the slab?

You can check on youtube

you can do it yourself in their presence to save $5 if you want. And sometimes (no guarantees) they don’t even charge you.  

18 minutes ago, Yoda Master said:

@revatWould modern be a good decision instead of express, it's cheaper. Could I still do that?

You should check the Cgc website, but the tier is tied to the value of the comic, generally for insurance purposes.  I think you could conceivably make the case the book is worth less than $1000 and choose “standard”, but unless the grade is painfully low I don’t think CGC will believe your book is worth less than $400 after all those signatures and fees.  But either way this is stuff you can go over with the people at the Cgc booth.

you should NOT fill out the paperwork work ahead of time (but get your membership online ahead of time).

so go early to the Cgc booth to help create a game plan.

good luck 

10 minutes ago, revat said:

@Yoda Master You probably already know so this advice may be DUH DUH, but I wanted to add to revat's info so that anyone reading this doesn't get confused-

If you are going to crack your slab yourself, DO NOT CRACK IT OPEN UNTIL YOU ARE ACTUALLY IN FRONT OF CGC AT THEIR BOOTH. 

If you crack your yellow label book beforehand, you will lose your yellow label status. 

Edited by eee91

On 6/20/2021 at 6:22 PM, Yoda Master said:

I did it! It didn't work out the way I completely wanted it to go but I got 6 new signatures and it's off getting re-graded and encapsulated. Thanks for the help everyone!

I take it CGC wasn't set up. So.you were able to locate a facilitator so you can continue to get that yellow label?