• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neal Adams turns 80
2 2

57 posts in this topic

Glad to see he didn't survived.  It didn't look to good for him for awhile.  But gets right out of the hospital and gets back online to sell stuff.  :)

He did say that his convention days will be few and far between going forward.

Happy Birthday Mr. Adams!

So many great books and an instantly recognizable, intricate style with characters always appearing to be in fluid motion.  One of my favorites I think about often is Avengers #93:  A double-dose of Neal Adams (as the book was priced at .25), a "fantastic voyage" for Hank Pym journeying into the Vision's surreal body systems and an illustrated character tour de force where he not only gets to draw all the Avengers but (by plot necessity) the Fantastic Four, Skrulls and Captain Marvel.  Really detailed line work, especially when Ant Man continually encounters and evades Vision's defense organisms as he makes his way through a very alien (but plausible) physiology.

On 6/16/2021 at 9:29 PM, VintageComics said:

I remember seeing Carmine Infantino at a Motor City show sitting all by himself. Nobody wanted to talk to him. Literally one of the God Fathers of the Silver Age. I chatted with him for a good 20 mins all by myself and bought an autographed book for one of my best friends.

The creator of Barry Allen and Deadman? Sitting alone at a convention?  :whatthe:

I wish I had the opportunity to meet certain creators but I at least I’ve had the opportunity to meet Neal Adams. He’s still going strong at 80 years old and I don’t see him slowing down. 

On 6/17/2021 at 2:29 AM, VintageComics said:

I remember seeing Carmine Infantino at a Motor City show sitting all by himself. Nobody wanted to talk to him. Literally one of the God Fathers of the Silver Age. I chatted with him for a good 20 mins all by myself and bought an autographed book for one of my best friends.

It is sad. I met him at a convention, just as solitary. I bought Flash Archives 1 and 2 and had him sign them for me.  Nice guy to chat with.

2 hours ago, Terry_JSA said:

The creator of Barry Allen and Deadman? Sitting alone at a convention?  

Just those two alone would have been quite the achievement but he was so much more than that. He was in some ways one of the main architects of the Silver Age.

Carmine just didn't have Stan Lee pumping him the way Lee did to his own creators at Marvel!

Edited by VintageComics

43 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

It is sad. I met him at a convention, just as solitary. I bought Flash Archives 1 and 2 and had him sign them for me.  Nice guy to chat with.

Literally a giant among those sitting around him in Artist's Alley just sitting alone, convention after convention.

15 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Just those two alone would have been quite the achievement but he was so much more than that. He was in some ways one of the main architects of the Silver Age.

Carmine just didn't have Stan Lee pumping him the way Lee did to his own creators at Marvel!

Considering the amount of work he’s done, he’s literally a pioneer! He’s done work in the Golden Age of Comics and made a huge impact during the Silver Age of Comics as well like you mentioned. There’s not many artists from that era that are still around. 

Edited by Terry_JSA

4 minutes ago, Terry_JSA said:

Considering the amount of work he’s done, he’s literally a pioneer! He’s done work in the Golden Age of Comics and made a huge impact during the Silver Age of Comics as well like you mentioned. There’s not many artists from that era that are still around. 

Hence my Jack Kirby reference.

He changed Batman into the darker Batman we now know which was ground breaking and drew some of the biggest characters of the SA. He did so much.

40 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Hence my Jack Kirby reference.

He changed Batman into the darker Batman we now know which was ground breaking and drew some of the biggest characters of the SA. He did so much.

I 100% agree with you on that, I’m just saying his work and contributions went unnoticed and no one truly appreciated it. 

Edited by Terry_JSA

21 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Literally a giant among those sitting around him in Artist's Alley just sitting alone, convention after convention.

I remember seeing him sitting alone in Artist's Alley at SDCC, probably back in 2007 or 2008...I asked him if he would do a Flash head sketch for me in my sketchbook.

He then proceeded to draw a Flash head in the quintessential Infantino style using a ballpoint pen...it's one of the highlights of the convention sketches I've gotten over the years.

I do remember him being a bit tired (I think it was toward the end of the day), but I had a great time chatting with him...

Back on topic, happy 80th birthday Neal Adams!

On 6/16/2021 at 8:40 PM, VintageComics said:

I bump into him and Marilyn all the time and we are just cordial but a few times when there was nothing going on I just sat at his table and we chatted.

He's still very energetic when he speaks and he likes to talk about his work and history in comics. Often he'll come up with back stories to how or why he did 'this or that'.

I've never been a customer to them so I'm not sure which side of NA I've seen now. lol

Yeah, if you ask him a question about his time in comics he will definitely give you a full answer! 

22 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

A few years before he died I ran into Earl Norem at Heroes Con in Charlotte. I had no idea he was there - sitting in artists alley with no one around. No one! I talked to him for over an hour and maybe even embarrassed him, as here was one guy (me) at the whole con who was just so excited to see him.