• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scuffing on Interior of slabs
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I recently received 77 slabs back from grading. Virtually all of them have noticeable scuffing on the interior side of both the front and back. I have tried my plastic polish that works wonders on scuffs on a number of them only to realize it is all on the interior. Is this an issue that CGC is aware of? If so, is it being addressed ?

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thanks for your message. We work closely with our manufacturer to ensure that we receive only the highest quality holders, and we take great care to protect these holders during our grading process. The significant size and extreme clarity of these holders, however, makes it virtually impossible to prevent small scratches and scuffs that may occur during careful handling and in transit. As a result, minor scratches and scuffs that do not distract from the encapsulated book are considered to be acceptable.

If you feel that the scuffs you are seeing fall outside of this acceptable range, please email a few pictures to our office and we can review and advise you on how to proceed.  You can email us at: submissions@cgccomics.com.

Thank you!

All scuffs are on the inside of the case, therefore they did not occur during transit or handling after being slabbed. The damage either was present from the manufacturer, occured during whatever storage CGC employs, or during the slabbing process. This is a new problem. Previous submissions had little interior scuffing, while exterior scuffing was common. It is easily fixable with a good plastic polish on the outside, but the interior not so much. Personally I don't care beacuse I do not display my slabs, and recognize it does not affect the books grade. However, some of the people I sell to may display and may care, and understandably when paying big bucks should be able to expect as appealing a presentation as possible. I was hoping for a better response than that. Obviously shipping back 75 books for reholdering is probably not in the cards. An almost 100% occurrence of damage in the same general locations indicates a problem somewhere in the chain of custody, and may warrant some investigation. May have to look at an alternative for the next batch.

9 hours ago, Jennifer F. said:

Good morning,

Thanks for your message. We work closely with our manufacturer to ensure that we receive only the highest quality holders, and we take great care to protect these holders during our grading process. The significant size and extreme clarity of these holders, however, makes it virtually impossible to prevent small scratches and scuffs that may occur during careful handling and in transit. As a result, minor scratches and scuffs that do not distract from the encapsulated book are considered to be acceptable.

If you feel that the scuffs you are seeing fall outside of this acceptable range, please email a few pictures to our office and we can review and advise you on how to proceed.  You can email us at: submissions@cgccomics.com.

Thank you!

Are these scuff marks intentional to get rid of newton rings?