• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A discussion about comic conventions, post pandemic.
2 2

55 posts in this topic

Well, it's been a while.

How do you folks feel about going back to shows?

I think most people know by now that with the schedule crammed and many people trying to put on shows at the same time that Chicago / Motor City (Detroit) and Indianapolis are on the same weekends. For weekends like this, if you live in the area of these shows, how do you decide which show you want to go to since they're all within driving distance of each other?

As dealers, how do you decide which shows you plan on doing?

Will you avoid shows until things are fully in the clear?

Are you done with shows because you realize you can buy everything online?

Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Edited by VintageComics

16 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Define “post pandemic”.....

Such a negative Nancy. lol

Regional differences noted. :foryou:

2 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

You're getting old! Like me. ;)

Very true, pal. :smile:

Undeniable.

Edited by Ken Aldred

6 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Such a negative Nancy. lol

Regional differences noted. :foryou:

I’m genuinely curious what this post pandemic landscape looks like.  Are we talking about crowded conventions where masks are no longer required, and social distancing abandoned?

9 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m genuinely curious what this post pandemic landscape looks like.  Are we talking about crowded conventions where masks are no longer required, and social distancing abandoned?

Many parts of North America are more or less 'back to normal' with places crowded and no masks, but personally, I'm not really interested in discussing anything about Covid (and actually, moderation has forbidden it because it was so problematic in the watercooler).

I was more asking how people felt about going to conventions now that people have been accustomed to shopping from home and also how they will decide which shows they plan to go to and how they make those decisions now that many shows are crammed into a short period of time to make up for no shows for over a year.

Edited by VintageComics

I'd have no hesitation attending a convention.   I agree that there are still plenty of questions about how large gatherings are going to work, and whether people will just return to their previous behavior patterns or some significant percentage will just stop attending conventions, concerts, movies, sporting events, festivals, and etc to the point where these just become economically impossible.  On-line works for many things, but there will be areas where it can't help or provide the same experience.

23 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

The idea of social distancing at a major comic book convention is virtually impossible.

And I agree with @Ken Aldred. The last show I went to was C2E2 in February, 2020. The number of people there on Saturday and Sunday is overwhelming. And that's not including having to be on constant watch so you don't get poked in the eye by someone big into cos-play. And the phase of collecting that I am in, I'm not going to any con looking to buy an FF #1 or an AF #15 or an IH #181. So many of the books that I am looking for are just not brought to shows. At C2E2, I was looking for reader copies of BatB #1 - #24. If it wasn't for Harley Yee, I would have went home empty-handed. And I have seen little evidence that you can get really great deals on important books. I rarely, if ever, pay the original asking price for a book, regardless if I am buying at a con, from an online dealer, or from Ebay. But I may save $25 - $100 on a book; I am certainly not getting it for half-price.

I can buy a lot of the comics that I want when I am sitting in front of my computer in my underwear. Sorry, I know you will NEVER get that picture out of your mind tonight. lol I don't have to drive eight hours to get to Chicago and another eight hours to come back home. I don't have to make motel reservations for three nights, and I don't have to pay for food at fast food/restaurants. In the future, I may continue to attend Planet Comic Con in Kansas City, as it is less than a six-hour round trip. And I will be only attending one or maybe two days.

My convention-attending will be greatly diminished for the foreseeable future.

18 minutes ago, wombat said:

I'm going to Baltimore. The only show I always do. We make a weekend out of it. But I have my doubts how much I will actually buy. With prices going insane I have a feeling I'm going to walk out without buying very much. But I always like looking to see what's out there. 

I would like to go to Baltimore also.

I think one thing I've noticed locally is that there may to many shows within a short time period of one another, add to that the amount of things to do outside of comics, and smaller conventions or newer shows may have missed their window as the bigger shows start to come in.

I did a small show a couple of weeks ago and attendance was down. Many thought it was because of the promotion of the show but I think it's more the landscape has changed. The bigger shows will always do well however the smaller shows can't compete with being outdoors, going to the beach etc. People are trying to make up for lost time. People are traveling catching up on vacations/friends/relatives and small shows may take a 2nd seat to that.

1 minute ago, jsilverjanet said:

outside of comic people, I don't think the general public has missed comic shows. I think some have moved on. Should be interesting to see.

I'd never thought of it that way but you may be right.

40 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

This pandemic?  I think it put another nail in the coffin of overinflated expensive shows.   Smaller shows may thrive but I think people will gravitate more to doing their thing online.  Online business, as predicted increased during the pandemic but it has not fallen back to the levels that it once was.  It has retained part of the market share.  People were forced to accommodate themselves to it and now have discovered the convenience for certain things. 

this is the exact opposite of my thoughts. interesting, are you the Ryu to my Ken

@HarveySwick @ItsJustRyan

5 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

The idea of social distancing at a major comic book convention is virtually impossible.

And I agree with @Ken Aldred. The last show I went to was C2E2 in February, 2020. The number of people there on Saturday and Sunday is overwhelming. And that's not including having to be on constant watch so you don't get poked in the eye by someone big into cos-play. And the phase of collecting that I am in, I'm not going to any con looking to buy an FF #1 or an AF #15 or an IH #181. So many of the books that I am looking for are just not brought to shows. At C2E2, I was looking for reader copies of BatB #1 - #24. If it wasn't for Harley Yee, I would have went home empty-handed. And I have seen little evidence that you can get really great deals on important books. I rarely, if ever, pay the original asking price for a book, regardless if I am buying at a con, from an online dealer, or from Ebay. But I may save $25 - $100 on a book; I am certainly not getting it for half-price.

I can buy a lot of the comics that I want when I am sitting in front of my computer in my underwear. Sorry, I know you will NEVER get that picture out of your mind tonight. lol I don't have to drive eight hours to get to Chicago and another eight hours to come back home. I don't have to make motel reservations for three nights, and I don't have to pay for food at fast food/restaurants. In the future, I may continue to attend Planet Comic Con in Kansas City, as it is less than a six-hour round trip. And I will be only attending one or maybe two days.

My convention-attending will be greatly diminished for the foreseeable future.

What you don't get in your underwear at home is the social interaction. lol

Some of the best times I've ever had were because of comic shows and the people they brought together. Our parties were legendary for a time (those involved who knew, knew).

Also, I do it nude. :gossip:

For those who have increased their online footprint either through their own website, ebay, FB/Instagram, are shows as essential to your business today as they were before?

I'd love to hear from the big guns

Blazingbob, Dale Roberts or Greg Reece to name a few