• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fear of Sellers Remorse?

25 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone else had thought of this.

But after a Great Deal that you won on eBay,

Do you stop and think hey this guy might be so bummed that I snaked this book for so low

he might not deliver.

If so, do you do anything to help the seller over this perceived pain?

The reason why I am asking, is I ace'd a sweet deal on this book for $40 under Raw

over street value.

asm51.JPG

Link

I felt like this could be one of those situations where remorse may arise

So I tipped the seller to ease the transaction.

I mean hey, you tip a doorman, bellboy, cab driver etc. why not a comic seller...

I had book value as my final bid anyhoo, it isn't like I lost anything.

Opinions?

confused-smiley-013.gif

The seller is a board member, why don't you ask him? poke2.gif

When I get a good deal, I just send the money. As a seller, I have given out plenty of good deals myself. Just the way it works I guess.

I start 99% of my auctions at $.01 and I've never not sold to someone because the ending price was to low. Needless to say, I don't feel one bit bad when I get a good deal (like you got) and it's never even entered my mind how the seller may feel about the deal. I couldn't care less.

The seller is a board member, why don't you ask him? poke2.gif

When I get a good deal, I just send the money. As a seller, I have given out plenty of good deals myself. Just the way it works I guess.

Well as you see, I did get the book and I am thrilled with it.

I just don't know everbody's seller handle on these boards maybe I should look

for my infamous "e-bay pimp handle thread" more often.

tonofbricks.gif

I start 99% of my auctions at $.01 and I've never not sold to someone because the ending price was to low. Needless to say, I don't feel one bit bad when I get a good deal (like you got) and it's never even entered my mind how the seller may feel about the deal. I couldn't care less.

I'd have to agree. Either set a reserve, or take the hit if the bid is low. Welching on a low sale is b.s.

Yea, I hear you.

I've just had some deals that when south for some odd reasons.

Maybe that was just the way it was meant to be...

But I can't stop trying because I absolutely hate to waste time on an auction,

win it, pay for it, then whola! the seller get a case of the p.m.s. cramps and

don't deliver for some reason.

Some how - magically this happens when I win an auction for a lot lower that book value...

tongue.gif

Welching on a low sale is b.s.

I HATE that term (my last name is Welch). foreheadslap.gif

To the original question by Nerf:

What is the deal on these boards? Have people been taking estrogen pills?

If somebody sells a book on ebay, and you get it at a good price, pay the price and be happy!! What are you going to do, send the seller an extra 5 bucks because you feel you got a better deal than you should? confused-smiley-013.gif Are you going to give money back to the Gap when you buy a pair of pants at half off but you think they should only be 30% off? 27_laughing.gif

As a seller, you run the risk of a low sale if you go with no reserve. That's part of the deal. If they reneg on the sale, then you file a complaint with ebay. But if you go giving them extra money, they're gonna be thinking "gee, maybe I am really screwing myself here". I'm sure they know you got it low, but that's life -- sometimes it rocks and sometimes it sucks.

If somebody sells a book on ebay, and you get it at a good price, pay the price and be happy!! What are you going to do, send the seller an extra 5 bucks because you feel you got a better deal than you should? Are you going to give money back to the Gap when you buy a pair of pants at half off but you think they should only be 30% off?

me...finally someone with a bit of sense!!!

A good deal is a good deal....if it goes for less than it *should* then all the better!!! Enjoy it!!

The reason why I am asking, is I ace'd a sweet deal on this book for $40 under Raw Over street value.

Yeah, but it's got the BLOU (Blue Label of Uncertainty). If the seller wanted to get Overstreet prices, he should have cracked it out of the slab. tongue.gif

If somebody sells a book on ebay, and you get it at a good price, pay the price and be happy!! What are you going to do, send the seller an extra 5 bucks because you feel you got a better deal than you should? confused-smiley-013.gif Are you going to give money back to the Gap when you buy a pair of pants at half off but you think they should only be 30% off? 27_laughing.gif

As a seller, you run the risk of a low sale if you go with no reserve. That's part of the deal. If they reneg on the sale, then you file a complaint with ebay. But if you go giving them extra money, they're gonna be thinking "gee, maybe I am really screwing myself here". I'm sure they know you got it low, but that's life -- sometimes it rocks and sometimes it sucks.

dont sweat it. The correct term is welshing, not like the grape juice. Probably a British term slandering their northern cousins.

yeah, it's $40 below OPG, but we're still talking over $200 for a nice, but not perfecto, copy of that book. which is a nice, semi-almost-barely keyish book, but we're barely talking a 20% discount. if the seller has held it for 10-15 years, maybe he only paid $15-20 for it way back when? if he didn't pay too much for the book he should have made some money.

having it in a slab doesn't guarantee guide. granted, i don't go after HG too often, but out of the golden age and silver age slabs I own that I've paid $300-$500 for (which are mainly low and mid-grade books, but does include a 9.2 from 1945), I don't think I've ever paid more than 75-80% of guide. granted, the market has changed some since I bought these in 2001-2003, but that's the way i pursued these things then.

That happened to me one time a few years back. I won a pile of auctions of a guy for literally peanuts (there was some West Coast 'Net outage or something) and I was very worried that he would not come through. The auctions were so low, that I was prepared to let him keep the books if he wanted, but he sent the invoice total so I paid.

But I was worried he'd change his mind later on....

Sure enough a few weeks pass with no package, so I email him back. He replies that it may have been lost, and I pour on the sob story about needing these books for my collection, not having a lot of money to spare, and expressing my hope that the books will arrive eventually. *sniff*

Bingo, a week later the package arrives dated the same day as out email. 893applaud-thumb.gif

dont sweat it. The correct term is welshing, not like the grape juice. Probably a British term slandering their northern cousins.

From what I have read, the term actually did begin in England, but referred to English bookies who got burned big on losses and fled to Wales to avoid having to pay.

That happened to me one time a few years back. I won a pile of auctions of a guy for literally peanuts (there was some West Coast 'Net outage or something) and I was very worried that he would not come through. The auctions were so low, that I was prepared to let him keep the books if he wanted, but he sent the invoice total so I paid.

But I was worried he'd change his mind later on....

Sure enough a few weeks pass with no package, so I email him back. He replies that it may have been lost, and I pour on the sob story about needing these books for my collection, not having a lot of money to spare, and expressing my hope that the books will arrive eventually. *sniff*

Bingo, a week later the package arrives dated the same day as out email. 893applaud-thumb.gif

So the forums biggest welcher is a self confessed liar,as well. Way to go, vinnie.A true example of integrity in action. thumbsup2.gif

I'm very thankful when someone buys something of mine through Heritage or eBay.

If the price turns out to be low, that's the risk I took when I decided to sell at auction. There are steps I could have taken to guard against a too-low price, but if I declined to use those steps then I'm not entitled to b*itch and moan about the result.

So I just say, "Thank you for the business. It's greatly appreciated," whether it's a great price or not.

It's how I maintain my sanity.

I've had it happen... one a FF #112 in VF/NM (from the look of the big scan) for $20 from a new seller. He never delivered... and eventually was banned for not delivering others that apparently didn't meet his bidding requirements. Oh... and his threatening me in e-mail probably had something to do with it as well... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

There have been several other lots that I've suspected this were the case (eg. were damaged prior to shipment... Would you take a refund? OR sent a book so obviously not the one in the auction that the only thing I could do is send it back and hope for a refund), tho' nothing conclusive.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I won a Surfer #1in CGC VF+ for $295, paid immediately and sat waiting for delivery. Which although he claims he mailed it, it never arrived.

After e-mails back and forth for three months, the guy finally tells me he'll refund just to shut me up, that he's doing this out of the goodness of his heart, that he's way out of pocket.

I take the refund and two weeks later, he's auctioning the friggin' book at a much higher opening bid.

I won a Surfer #1in CGC VF+ for $295, paid immediately and sat waiting for delivery. Which although he claims he mailed it, it never arrived.

After e-mails back and forth for three months, the guy finally tells me he'll refund just to shut me up, that he's doing this out of the goodness of his heart, that he's way out of pocket.

I take the refund and two weeks later, he's auctioning the friggin' book at a much higher opening bid.

What a jerk. makepoint.gif