• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UNIVERSAL BLUE VS. SIGNATURE SERIES YELLOW?

29 posts in this topic

When it comes to adding to my collection(buying books): blue universal or raw unsigned all day every day. I can't imagine a scenario in which I would buy an existing SS label book. As for enhancing my collection(submitting myself): I do enjoy selecting a book and commissioning an artist for an SS label.

Thanks for the comments. I only started buying slabs last spring to try and replace some key issues from my stolen collection. I have been focusing on Blue Labels but if a Yellow Label is within my budget I try to get it but most  are not.

The only thing I really knew about signed books was from a The Big Bang Theory episode where Sheldon wanted Stan Lee to sign a Batman so that he could have a “Unique but confusing collectible.”  Having signatures on a book from someone who had nothing to do with the issue seems strange but now that Stan has passed and will never be signing anything again I can understand the desirability…

Edited by Greatwhite

35 minutes ago, Greatwhite said:

Thanks for the comments. I only started buying slabs last spring to try and replace some key issues from my stolen collection. I have been focusing on Blue Labels but if a Yellow Label is within my budget I try to get it but most  are not.

The only thing I really knew about signed books was the episode of The Big Bang Theory where Sheldon wanted Stan Lee to sign a Batman so the he could have a “Unique but confusing collectible.”  Having signatures on a book from someone who had nothing to do with the issue seems strange but now that Stan has passed and will never be signing anything again I can understand the desirability…

What i bolded is exactly how I collect and also why I had asked about the price. I did recently buy a yellow label book since I didn't have that cover and it was low price with a nice sig.

As for odd Stan Lee sigs, there is one I like quite a bit (though would never have done it myself). Someone got an Stan Lee SS series label on the Mister Miracle comic, all done by Kirby, where he introduces the Funky Flash man which was supposed to be a insult to Stan Lee. Now that's a book he had nothing to do with that is still very much linked to him. So a Stan Lee sig on a DC book that makes sense.

On 6/21/2021 at 5:08 PM, Math Teacher said:

For the life of me, I don't know why anyone would get Stan Lee to autograph a copy of IH #181 or ASM #300. Stan had absolutely nothing to do with those issues.

Stan wrote an exclusive full page Soapbox talking about his history with Spider-Man on the last page of ASM300.

Anyway to answer the original question, I like getting first appearances SS’d by the creators of the character. That’s it, tho. To each their own but the really annoying thing to me is how much people jack up SS books on Fleabay. Like even Stan’s, the man did how many cons for how many years? Obviously there won’t be any more but his signature is in no way rare. 

6 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Someone got an Stan Lee SS series label on the Mister Miracle comic, all done by Kirby, where he introduces the Funky Flash man which was supposed to be a insult to Stan Lee. Now that's a book he had nothing to do with that is still very much linked to him. So a Stan Lee sig on a DC book that makes sense.

That does make sense.

6 hours ago, William-James88 said:

What i bolded is exactly how I collect and also why I had asked about the price. I did recently buy a yellow label book since I didn't have that cover and it was low price with a nice sig.

As for odd Stan Lee sigs, there is one I like quite a bit (though would never have done it myself). Someone got an Stan Lee SS series label on the Mister Miracle comic, all done by Kirby, where he introduces the Funky Flash man which was supposed to be a insult to Stan Lee. Now that's a book he had nothing to do with that is still very much linked to him. So a Stan Lee sig on a DC book that makes sense.

I'm shocked Stan signed that!  He must have known Mister Miracle featured Funky Flashman. 

I totally agree. That would be a cool book to own. 

If the signer has some significance to that book then absolutely it will not only affect value but desirability as time goes by. 

ASM 298 signed by Todd Mcfarlane or someone like Starlin who does not sign anymore on one of his keys. Definitely a cool factor on that. Or like someone else said ASM 50 signed by Stan and romita........GOLD!