• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Full Public Disclosure?

5 posts in this topic

Has CGC issued a press release, public apology or anything of that nature in regards to the Jason Ewert scandal? I was looking at the news and press release section on the CGC web site and didn’t see anything there.

I mention it because this scandal has certainly been beaten to death in this forum, but meanwhile the unwashed masses (or is that us??) that don't participate in this forum are no doubt blissfully unaware of this situation and continuing to submit books to CGC and buy CGC-graded books under the erroneous assumption that CGC is this infallible gold standard of comic grading.

My sense is that CGC has a moral - if not legal - obligation to make this scandal public to the broader market that traffics in CGC-graded books and take their medicine like any other company that screws up to this degree. Any thoughts from other forum members on this topic?

For what it is worth, Steve released this statement:

While sad and unfortunate, this experience will ultimately be of benefit to the hobby. It is proving that certification works in assuring that books are accurately represented in the marketplace. This also shows us that the boards work. We can share our collective knowledge and experiences to improve the hobby. CGC is very proud to provide essential services to the hobby.

Over a month ago, when this situation first came to light, CGC began an extensive review process of all books in-house. Furthermore, Jason Ewert has been banned from submitting. He is only the second person CGC has banned. Anyone knowingly submitting books on his behalf will also be banned.

We are not releasing barcode information. We do have an obligation to all our submitters to observe our policy of confidentiality, and we cannot simply violate this at will. However, I will review any CGC certified book bought from Jason Ewert. We have every reason to believe that trimming of this type began within the last six to seven months. We will also monitor for any suspect books in the marketplace, and ask that they be returned to us for review.

This experience is a necessary step in guaranteeing our ability to detect sophisticated deceptive restoration. New safety measures have been put in place to reduce the likelihood of a similar situation arising. We are also consulting with Chris Friesen, who is the best restoration detection expert in our hobby. I must reiterate that Chris Friesen has never trimmed a comic book. Any insinuation otherwise is extremely offensive to me, especially since he and I worked together for many years to try to remove this element from our hobby.

We also realize how the help of board members and hobbyists assures the quality of our product, and we would like board member efforts to continue. We will be assembling a CGC Advisory Board to organize these efforts going forward. Please PM if you have an interest in participating.

-Steve