• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Age with tan colored back cover.

12 posts in this topic

I know that no stains of any kind are allowed  but does CGC count a lightly tanned background on the back cover enough of a flaw to make a 8.0 impossible? Asking because I have an X-Men 50 with that problem. Just not sure if CGC considers tanning a stain. Comic has a minor color breaking crease 1/2 down the right edge on the front. 

Edited by ninanina
comic not described accurately in original post

4 hours ago, ninanina said:

I know that no stains of any kind are allowed in a 9.8 but does CGC count a lightly tanned background on the back cover enough of a flaw to make a 9.8 impossible? Asking, because I have a flawless X-Men 50 with that problem. Just not sure if CGC considers tanning a stain. Comic has no other flaws.

Probably best to post pictures either here or the spare a grade section. 

Hard to speculate without seeing the book. 

On 6/20/2021 at 7:52 PM, KCOComics said:

Probably best to post pictures either here or the spare a grade section. 

Hard to speculate without seeing the book. 

Got help from a boardie to show me how to drop in a scan. I'll get it on tomorrow. Thanks very much for the recommendation.

Foxing or tanning has to do with how the comic was stored and / or the impact of the surrounding environment on the paper over time.  A book can have a 9.6 appearance on the surface but as most collectors seem to forget tanning or foxing is a justifiable knock on the overall grade even if innocuous looking.  A 9.8 really has to be close to how the book possibly looked when it rolled off the printing press.  The whole game if you can call it in this hobby is to find the book that escaped all or most of the ravages of time.  If we ignored or were ignorant of foxing / tanning (like lots of collectors conveniently do when grading their raw books  zzz) you would suddenly have a huge influx of higher grade books on the top of the census.  My lousy 2 cents. :preach:  

After seeing you copy, it is hard to answer since it wasn't flawless to begin with due to that colour breaking crease. That already takes a hit, removing it from the upwards of 9.0. Not sure if the tanning is additive at that point since the colour break is the bigger flaw.

Okay, I fixed it. Thanks very much for the response. I purchased the book privately from a long time collector that did not bag and board his comics. They basically just sat there, hence the tanned back cover. Anyway, I paid accordingly about 18 years ago. That color breaking crease wasn't there when I bought it so I was genuinely surprised when it was pointed out. Personally after all this, I'm thinking somewhere between an 8.0 and an 8.5 if I can take advantage of the fact it's Silver Age. I know if it were copper or bronze, this wouldn't be any better than an 8.0 because of the crease. I don't know how much my causing the damage effected the grade, considering the back, but if any one would care to weigh in, it would be appreciated. For the record, there are no other defects on the comic.