• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Considering pieces from your collection because of Heritage crazy final hammers....
1 1

80 posts in this topic

With the super crazy prices that sellers are getting at Heritage for their artwork. Has anyone gone into their collections and thought about what pieces they would consign to Heritage auctions?

The X-Factor #67 page by Portacio which went for $10K got me to dig out the two pages from the next issue I own of Scott giving baby Nathan to the woman from the future seen on that page from issue #67.

I also pulled out the portfolio which has X-Men #98 page with the first appearance of Logan's face without the mask and looked at it. Thought about what it would fetch then put the portfolio back.

Anyone else get the itch?

Edited by Brian Peck

31 minutes ago, Brian Peck said:

With the super crazy prices that sellers are getting at Heritage for their artwork. Has anyone gone into their collections and thought about what pieces they would consign to Heritage auctions?

The X-Factor #67 page by Portacio which went for $10K got me to dig out the two pages from the next issue I own of Scott giving baby Nathan to the woman from the future seen on that page from issue #67.

I also pulled out the portfolio which has X-Men #98 page with the first appearance of Logan's face without the mask and looked at it. Thought about what it would fetch then put the portfolio back.

Problem is, prices have been going up year after year.  If you were to sell you’d likely regret selling down the road.  What would you do with the money?

1 hour ago, Brian Peck said:

Brian overall I’m holding my inventory.

Theres no doubt you’d make a killing on those pages. I guess it’s just a matter of (do you want to let them go?)

2 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Problem is, prices have been going up year after year.  If you were to sell you’d likely regret selling down the road.  What would you do with the money?

If I lived in the SW, I'd be saving it to buy water later this summer   :cry:  

The thought had crossed my mind that I might try to sell a few things while the market was hot to make a run at a grail piece... but that was tempered by the realization that if all art is going up ludicrously, I'm no better off selling-to-buy now than when/if things calm down. 

3 hours ago, rlextherobot said:

The thought had crossed my mind that I might try to sell a few things while the market was hot to make a run at a grail piece... but that was tempered by the realization that if all art is going up ludicrously, I'm no better off selling-to-buy now than when/if things calm down. 

Not sure that is true. When everything’s going up, regardless of the quality, that’s usually the time to sell. But not necessarily a time to sell, quality pieces. More than likely they will go down less than non-quality material, and they will absolutely rebound much quicker. Works that way with everything, not just art. 

Not trying to say prices are going to go down but there sure seems to be a lot of supply out there nowadays, and ultimately supply and demand is still the most tried and true concept. 

1 hour ago, vodou said:

That's where it always falls apart for me. I'd just buy more art, but it wouldn't be as good as what I gave up, so...why? lol 

But, if you can sell a slower moving subject with less upside, for one likely to have more curb appeal to newer fans, and if you like to play the market like that..

which I don’t. 

4 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

But, if you can sell a slower moving subject with less upside, for one likely to have more curb appeal to newer fans, and if you like to play the market like that..

which I don’t. 

Uh huh. You know all those so-called "dealers" constantly scrambling to grab new inventory? Yeah. Because they're dumb as rocks. Sold too much, too early (thus: too low, most especially their own collections lol )  and have been behind the eight ball ever since - chasing this market higher. And doing a relatively poor job of it too. Why do you think they have to partner up with deep inventory folks and attempt to double already nostalgic prices? Dumb as rocks.

So no...not me either :) 

What I’ve been noticing is the work from those who are not the superstars of the hobby are fetching prices too close to the greats.

If I had pieces by those guys, I would unload it ALL right now and take that money and buy the all star artists’ work. Two or three vintage pages from Mr. Third Tier will fetch enough to get a nice representative page from Mr Rockstar.