• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Apple TV's TED LASSO starring Jason Sudeikis (2021)
2 2

48 posts in this topic

Ted Lasso scored 20 Emmy nominations on Tuesday, becoming the most-nominated freshman comedy series in TV history.

The Apple TV+ series surpassed the record held by Fox musical-comedy Glee, which claimed 19 nominations back in 2010.

On the acting side, the show earned a nom for Lead Actor in a Comedy Series (Jason Sudeikis), as well as two nominations for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series (Hannah Waddingham and Juno Temple) and four for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series (Brett Goldstein, Jeremy Swift, Nick Mohammed and co-creator Brendan Hunt).

I'm going though this series now. Just finished episode 3. It grows on you. The show almost feels like the coach himself. Like normally I think a show like this wouldn't work or should work, but Jason Sudeikis is so likable. The series with its likable cast is great.

It's like Chicken Soup for the soul that needs to be fed to as many people as possible.

Edited by Rip

5 hours ago, Rip said:

I'm going though this series now. Just finished episode 3. It grows on you. The show almost feels like the coach himself. Like normally I think a show like this wouldn't work or should work, but Jason Sudeikis is so likable. The series with its likable cast is great.

It's like Chicken Soup for the soul that needs to be fed to as many people as possible.

Hear, hear!

:applause:

I've only got 2 episodes left and this show is at times dead serious and emotional as any drama out there.

Spoiler

The episodes with his wife, his panic attack, and moodyness when Nate gave him the suggestion letter hit like a ton of bricks.

This show deserves all the record amount of nominations its getting and Jason Sudeikis should just be handed the Emmy now.

Edited by Rip

Finished this series. Amazing emotional show. I don't want say much more so I don't spoil it. But there isn't a bad episode in this series and the final 5-10 minutes hits you like a ton of bricks.

A/A+ One of the very best shows on TV.

On 7/19/2021 at 9:19 AM, Rip said:

Finished this series. Amazing emotional show. I don't want say much more so I don't spoil it. But there isn't a bad episode in this series and the final 5-10 minutes hits you like a ton of bricks.

A/A+ One of the very best shows on TV.

I also love this show.  Can't wait for season 2.

Yes, the second season is as good as the first
But here's the thing. The second season's episodes are just as good — if not better — than the first. The show's cast of characters — an eccentric assembly of players, coaches and administrators running a hapless soccer (sorry again, "football") team in England — have become something of an onscreen family.

And the best aspect of this new season is the way these supporting characters have gotten more space to shine. Brett Goldstein's retired footballer Roy Kent is an f-bomb spewing Socrates — gruffly blunt and uncompromising, but also insightful and caring, even as he struggles with his relationship to the sport to which he has devoted his life, but isn't playing anymore.

Sudeikis shines as Ted Lasso
And then there's Jason Sudeikis' Ted Lasso. In lesser hands, this folksy, relentlessly optimistic fountain of encouragement and odd sayings ("There's two buttons I never like to hit," he tells a journalist after a disappointing match. "That's 'panic' and 'snooze.'") could come across as something of a creep.

Instead, his earnest good intentions shine through, even as we learn that Coach Lasso's attitude is partly a coping mechanism hiding a struggle with much more serious issues. Just when Lasso's breezy approach is about to seem impossibly effective or too cutesy ("He's a wigwam and a teepee," the coach says of one player. "Too tense.") Sudeikis and his writers come up with a jolt of emotionalism that gets things back on track.

Season two of Apple's hit comedy "Ted Lasso" debuted as one of the most in-demand TV shows in the U.S. and globally over the weekend, according to data from Parrot Analytics provided exclusively to Axios.

Why it matters: The comedy is Apple's first major hit since introducing Apple TV+ in 2019. Unlike many of the popular series taking off on other streaming services, it isn't a super hero show.

The big picture: Parrot's data shows that Ted Lasso has been a huge driver of Apple TV+’s "demand share" growth in the U.S. and worldwide over the last year.

• That matters because "demand" for original TV content is often often a leading indicator of subscriber growth.
  • Demand is a proprietary metric used by Parrot to measure an audience's appetite for TV content.

By the numbers: When Apple initially debuted the first season of Ted Lasso last year, Apple TV+ had a 3.5% "demand share" globally amongst all streaming services. Since debuting Ted Lasso, it's increased its demand share by 54%.

Season 2 is just as fantastic and inspiring as the first. Now about 3 episodes in and loving it.

Whoever convinced WB Studios to produce this show deserves all of the awards. Which I guess tonight we will find out how the Emmys appreciate this show.

:popcorn:

On 9/19/2021 at 7:36 AM, Bosco685 said:

Season 2 is just as fantastic and inspiring as the first. Now about 3 episodes in and loving it.

Whoever convinced WB Studios to produce this show deserves all of the awards. Which I guess tonight we will find out how the Emmys appreciate this show.

:popcorn:

Agreed,  i binged on it this past week.  Now on episode 4 of the second season...