• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Purple or Blue?
2 2

11 posts in this topic

A beat up old copy of Daredevil #1 gets well loved in the sixties and seventies. At some point the cover falls off but the kid restaples it back on. 

If that book goes to CGC will it be a purple label or a blue label?

Edited by comicginger1789

If the book is a 1.0/1.5/1.8 even if the original staples were hanging on (or the book was left cover detached), does adding the staples change anything? Maybe bumps from a 1.8 to a 1.0

I sent this in as part of my first submission excitement but did not take time to garner feedback...I'll be kinda bummed if it returns purple. I pegged it as a 1.0 book which I am hoping for, with a blue label.

30 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

If the book is a 1.0/1.5/1.8 even if the original staples were hanging on (or the book was left cover detached), does adding the staples change anything? Maybe bumps from a 1.8 to a 1.0

I sent this in as part of my first submission excitement but did not take time to garner feedback...I'll be kinda bummed if it returns purple. I pegged it as a 1.0 book which I am hoping for, with a blue label.

Should come back as a low grade blue label as long as there isn't any resto... 

3 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

I can't say for sure, but my guess is, the difference in grade will be negligible.

The book will be evaluated for the condition it's in. If it has a split spine / detached cover and is 1.5 without staples, it will remain a 1.5 with staples.  Others can correct me if I'm wrong. 

2 minutes ago, K.P.D. said:

Why didn't you remove the staples before submitting?

I actually had them removed a few years ago by CCS and the book remained the same grade. 

When I initially submitted it, I was a novice to grading and CGC.  I probably should have carefully removed them myself, but this was before there was industry built on maximizing books. Pressing books and resto removal was really in it's infancy and not widely used practices.

Today, everyone is much more concerned with that type of thing (myself included). 

Collecting funny books is much more complicated than it use to be. 

Thanks everyone....

The spine is NOT split on the book. The original staples simply pulled through and the cover came off long ago. Sometime, again long ago, the original owner restapled it so the book was together. He did not do a terrible job and because the spine is somewhat rolled on the book, you kind of can't tell until you open the book. At any rate, as mentioned above, even if he did not do this, the book is at BEST a 1.5-1.8. It would never in a million years get 2.0 or better. 

I am more than happy with anything 1.0/1.5/1.8 with added staples in a blue label. I will share upon its return :)

On 6/22/2021 at 9:21 AM, vheflin said:

I guess real low-grade blue with 'extra staples added' or 'cover reattached' notation.

On 6/22/2021 at 11:25 AM, The Lions Den said:

Should come back as a low grade blue label as long as there isn't any resto... 

+1, or is it +2?

I would call it unrestored but grade it no higher than 3.0 before consideration of the book's other flaws. VG- and lower books can have staples replaced, right?

21 hours ago, grendelbo said:

+1, or is it +2?

I would call it unrestored but grade it no higher than 3.0 before consideration of the book's other flaws. VG- and lower books can have staples replaced, right?

No doubt...