• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CCS Restoration Removal- does it include extra staple removal?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hi, I am considering purchasing a raw book, but I know there are added staples. The original staples are present and still hold the book together. The added staples are just for reinforcement. This looks to be the only 'restoration'. Does CCS Restoration Removal include removing these extra staples?

Thanks

Hi KPD, thanks for the response, I currently do not have book in hand and have only seen pictures. I am unsure of if the extra staples are ie. rusted/can cause issues to the book itself if I attempted removal myself. I already plan to submit to CCS for a clean/press, and it looks that restoration removal is 20$ so I dont mind having them do that as I think if there is any other restoration they can do that removal for me as well. Mainly looking for that blue label without doing anything to damage the book myself.

Yes, they will remove extra staples. 

I did pay more than $20 to have it done. I can't remember exactly what, but it was closer to $200 then $20. 

If your careful and gentle, you can try to do it yourself. You figure with a lower grade book, the risk of lowering the grade is minimal, but only do what feels comfortable for you. 

There are also alternatives to CCS. Conservationist you can actually get on the phone and talk to, to figure out a price and what needs to be done.

Removing the staples on a comic isn't so bad.  It's much easier than you probably imagine.  It involves a Dremel tool with the extra fine cutting wheel carefully applied at full speed to each side of the staple.  Once that's done, you'll need a needle to push the embedded tines of the staple through the book and out the centerfold.  Then you can set the Dremel down.  Using a magnet, hover within a hair's breadth of the book and pick up all traces of metal debris.  Make sure the needle and the magnet do not, at any time, touch.  Finally, remove needle(s) from the book.

Done.

The real deal is there is little reason to remove the staples.  Because the extra holes from the staples are still there. The extra holes are at least as big a defect as far as grading goes as the staples themselves. 

If you suspect restoration - say added glue or color - CCS makes sense. Otherwise for goodness sakes, it is not hard to remove staples. Get yourself a thin butter knife, pry up the prongs and pull the staple out. 

But again - you won't be any better off for removing the extra staples as far as grading goes. Now you have two holes through the book where each staple was at.