• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New ComicLink Buyer Policy Affirms Confidence in CGC Graded Books

160 posts in this topic

Dear ComicLink Clients and Other Forum Members,

As owner of ComicLink, I have been thinking a great deal about what more I can do from a policy standpoint, to alleviate the uncertainty that has crept into the marketplace in recent weeks in relation to Jason Ewert's CGC submissions. I have come up with something that I think will alleviate any fear or hesitation that buyers have about CGC Graded comic books that they have purchased from ComicLink in the past or will purchase from ComicLink in the future.

I am certain that there is only a very small pool of books that have gone through Jason's hands (or anyone else's) that have been trimmed and not detected by CGC. Right now, ComicLink has nearly 800 CGC Graded books up for auction and nearly 6000 CGC Graded books in the For Sale/Bid section. I guarantee every one of them. If, after being purchased from ComicLink, a book is later found out to have been trimmed, ComicLink will refund the buyer's money (including shipping and any transit costs associated with having the book checked). I am making this policy RETROACTIVE. This means that it applies to any book that anyone has EVER purchased on ComicLink or ever WILL purchase on ComicLink. Thus, no one that has ever purchased a CGC Graded book on ComicLink or ever will needs to be afraid that he will lose money in the rare case that CGC has failed to detect trimming.

Though it has been disappointing that CGC has missed a few, I am doing this because I still have a great deal of confidence in CGC. It is remarkable to me that out of the 600 thousand books that CGC has graded to date, only a handful have ever become suspect. Approximately 1 out of 100 thousand has ever been suspect. That demonstrates an incredible degree of competence. Over the past 5 years, CGC has decreased the percentage of uncertainty in this market to a bare minimum, a tiny fraction of what it used to be. Buyers, including myself, have become more confident because of CGC and justifiably so. I'm so sure that undetected trimming is a rare problem that I am willing to bet my company on it.

I trust that this policy will have further practical implications for bidders - it is not necessary to worry before placing a bid or buy order on ComicLink items. I have received a phone call from a buyer asking if any book in the current Focused Auction ending this Wednesday and Thursday were previously owned and originally submitted to CGC by Jason Ewert. It has come to light that there is one such item (ASM 129 CGC 9.6). Like any other book on ComicLink now, in the past, or in the future, buyers can feel confident that they will never be left "holding the bag" on a rare CGC mistake. When bidding in an auction or snapping up a newly listed book before another buyer, time is sometimes of the essence. With this policy in place, buyers and bidders never have to second guess or hesitate to bid on any book listed on ComicLink for fear of being stuck with a trimmed item.

Sincerely,

Josh Nathanson. President

www.comiclink.com

Email - buysell@comiclink.com

I am certain that there is only a very small pool of books that have gone through Jason's hands (or anyone else's) that have been trimmed and not detected by CGC. Right now, ComicLink has nearly 800 CGC Graded books up for auction and nearly 6000 CGC Graded books in the For Sale/Bid section. I guarantee every one of them. If, after being purchased from ComicLink, a book is later found out to have been trimmed, ComicLink will refund the buyer's money (including shipping and any transit costs associated with having the book checked). I am making this policy RETROACTIVE. This means that it applies to any book that anyone has EVER purchased on ComicLink or ever WILL purchase on ComicLink. Thus, no one that has ever purchased a CGC Graded book on ComicLink or ever will needs to be afraid that he will lose money in the rare case that CGC has failed to detect trimming.

Can't get much better then that. hail.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Can't get much better then that.

No you certainly cannot. That is truly professional approach. CGC should stand up for their service as much as Josh just stood up for them.

CGC should guarantee their restoration detection unconditionally. Period. If they really want calm people down and take the truly professional approach, this is the only way to go. Steve, I hope you are reading this and I am sure it has been brought up before. Perhaps the no nonsense approach Josh has taken is the best option at this point.

I commend Josh for his response. thumbsup2.gif

The only question I have, is what if someone has already taken the book out of the slab. Can they still have the book checked by a third party and if it's found to be trimmed, then Comiclink would still refund the money? I think that it's a slippery slope proposition if the book has already been deslabbed by the new owner.

First Bob, then Doug, now Josh 893applaud-thumb.gif Ok Steve - the pressure's on! grin.gif

Admittedly the stance needs to be different, as these guys are retailers/consignors . . . but I think the lawyers can work it out. sumo.gif

Let's do a little more than dance around the issue . . . tongue.gif

Josh, Josh, Josh....

I admire your stance and I think this guarantee brings confidence to your buyers. But c'mon -- you know the numbers as well as I do in terms of what's been missed.

It isn't only 6 books out of 100,000 -- is that what you're claiming has been missed?

Because I can tell you now that's not correct. At least not if you go by what CGC has in house from Ewert now. I don't think there's a hard and fast percentage, but it's more than 6 books dude.

And if you're looking retroactively, it means there's a helluva lot more books that could be coming back.

It is a good policy you've enacted -- and it's a good protective measure, but to say this problem only affects a scant few books is probably off. I know this is the band aid measure taken, but I don't think it's good to tell people that there's that few books that CGC has missed.

I know this is an effort to restore confidence, and I think it helps Comiclink.

Josh, Josh, Josh....

I admire your stance and I think this guarantee brings confidence to your buyers. But c'mon -- you know the numbers as well as I do in terms of what's been missed.

It isn't only 6 books out of 100,000 -- is that what you're claiming has been missed?

Because I can tell you now that's not correct. At least not if you go by what CGC has in house from Ewert now. I don't think there's a hard and fast percentage, but it's more than 6 books dude.

And if you're looking retroactively, it means there's a helluva lot more books that could be coming back.

It is a good policy you've enacted -- and it's a good protective measure, but to say this problem only affects a scant few books is probably off. I know this is the band aid measure taken, but I don't think it's good to tell people that there's that few books that CGC has missed.

I know this is an effort to restore confidence, and I think it helps Comiclink.

I believe Josh was working from the total graded number (about 600K), and may have been alluding to the 1% in relation to the 6 books which have been reported/found.

This situation reminds me so much of the comic-keys fiasco, because as soon as a few books were caught with trimming, then it was assumed that all the books comic-keys was selling were trimmed/restored. In stark contrast, it appears that CGC was a little more vocal in publicly vilifying comic-keys than they appear to be with JE.

I have never purchased from Comiclink, and have been recently thinking about using their site to sell some books. This announcement by Josh has done a great deal to instill confidence in the Comiclink product, but also has given me an opportunity to gain a greater sense of admiration for the man behind the operation. I think it takes a considerable amount of guts to take the stand CL/Josh has with the degree of uncertainty still looming over JE and the amount of trimmed books which still remain to be reported or discovered.

Way to go Josh 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

As someone who has bought comics and art through ComicLink, as well as selling my own comics through ComicLink, I applaud Josh for this. It's a fair policy, since the purpose of creating ComicLink as a third party intermediary was to take the risk out of the transaction for both the buyer and the seller.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Joseph:

What I think is interesting, and what I am simply holding up here, is that this policy, while admirable, is done to stem the tide of any possible negative impact this may have on ComicLink's business.

Now, if you are dealing with the books that have been officially outed by the boards or by scans and are known to be trimmed, then yes, those percentages are correct.

But we haven't looked at all the books. We don't have scans for all of them. CGC is going to have to inspect a number of other books before the exact numbers are going to be known.

If you base it on the fact that Jason tried to pass a number of other books in his last current submission to CGC which they are now catching, you have to presume that a lot of the books previously might have been missed. Compound that with the fact that obviously it's also others aside from Ewert (Bats 11) who have gotten resto by CGC.

While the policy is admirable, and I applaud the response, I am in disagreement as to the numbers used to bolster that stance.