• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Replica" don't mean what it used to (don't mind me, I'm just venting)

13 posts in this topic

So, a couple months ago, I won just one or two things in a Comic Connect auction, and as I often do when that happens, I look thru the non-auction offerings to see if I can get some more things to spread the shipping costs out on. There's a copy of the "Toy's R Us Special Replica Edition" of Batman #121 (first Mr. Zero aka Freeze) for a reasonable price. Since Batman #121 is on my wantlist, but also priced beyond what I'm likely to ever afford, I think, hey, I'll get this and put it in my collection as a placeholder in case I never win the lottery/find out I had a rich uncle I never knew.

To make a long story short (too late), when I get it I am dismayed to find that this "replica" is only the 8 page Mr. Zero story! Man oh man, what a ripoff!

That is all.

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

I've seen it with price tags of $50-$100  for HG copies. 

Well I paid 4 bucks for this one, listed as 8.0, which is High Grade in this house. lol

it was a toys r us giveaway comic what do you expect? i got these when they were giving them away in the mid 90s. I think there was a Detective 38 too and the first 60s batgirl issue whatever Detective issue that was. They were printed on newsprint too thats why i kept them

It’s nice to have a complete reprint, such as DC’s Millennium Editions or Famous First Editions, but that also leads to reprinting a lot of material that might be seen as irrelevant or boring or insignificant. For example, their Detective Comics 27 was a great, complete reprint from my perspective, but most of the anthology book might be seen as pointless to others.

There’s the diametrical conflict.

Edited by Ken Aldred

17 hours ago, catman76 said:

it was a toys r us giveaway comic what do you expect?

I expect a "replica edition" to be, well, a replica edition. lol

12 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

It’s nice to have a complete reprint, such as DC’s Millennium Editions or Famous First Editions, but that also leads to reprinting a lot of material that might be seen as irrelevant or boring or insignificant. For example, their Detective Comics 27 was a great, complete reprint from my perspective, but most of the anthology book might be seen as pointless to others.

There’s the diametrical conflict.

True, but in this case they left out 2 other Batman stories from the issue, unlike the anthology book.

3 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Most Action Comics #1 reprint/replicas do not contain the entire issue, rather just the Superman story.

So, yeah, I would agree that the term "replica" (and "reprint", for that matter) is abused.

That's true, when you think about it Superman #1 is just reprints of the Superman stories from Action Comics, making it more like graphic novel. :grin:

Edited by valiantman

On 6/26/2021 at 11:00 PM, ttfitz said:

True, but in this case they left out 2 other Batman stories from the issue, unlike the anthology book.

That falls into the ‘seen by some as irrelevant’ category. As completists, we’d disagree.

Edited by Ken Aldred