• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worth it to grade X-men #266 newsstand with creases?

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

This is my first post, totally new to this.  I pulled down my old comics from attic and I’m looking to sell them.  I have a X-men #266 newsstand that has 2 creases one on the bottom right and one on top right.  The top right one created a bend you can see through entire book.

I know this wouldn’t get a good grade.  Is it worth it to send a comic like this in for a cgc grade or better to just list it on eBay and let people bid on it and just see what i can get?

I do have other comics in great condition with no creases or marks and never read (spawn, venom, others) and I’m researching to see if it’s worth it to have those graded too.

Thanks to anyone that responds.  

- Gino Purple the Purple Boy -

5C5A20CD-90BB-4256-973F-38DEC0A9A69F.jpeg

1 hour ago, Gino Purple the Purple Boy said:

Bump

I would say to read the sticky in the "Brother can you spare a grade" forum, and put up some pics/scans as the details in the sticky notes. You want the pics to show the faults clearly.  Various members then can give you their  ideas on a poss grade as well whether a clean and press could improve the grade. Pressing won't remove a color breaking crease, though.

From there you could look at gocollect.com and ebay sold prices for copies at and around the same grade and make your decision. 

Gocollect lists  grades in the 6-7 range around $150.  At those grades I would sell it raw.

Edited by csaag
Add info

5 hours ago, csaag said:

I would say to read the sticky in the "Brother can you spare a grade" forum, and put up some pics/scans as the details in the sticky notes. You want the pics to show the faults clearly.  Various members then can give you their  ideas on a poss grade as well whether a clean and press could improve the grade. Pressing won't remove a color breaking crease, though.

From there you could look at gocollect.com and ebay sold prices for copies at and around the same grade and make your decision. 

Gocollect lists  grades in the 6-7 range around $150.  At those grades I would sell it raw.

This all makes sense.

BUT everyone has their own subjective criteria for risk or preferred profit margins, or ‘worth it’.  But I don’t think it’s a no brainer that MUST be graded, but their are circumstances where grading might net you SOME profit, but that’s really up to your situation and preferences. 

for example, would you be willing to invest $60 and six months of tying up your money to profit $30? $50? $100?  Do you already have a buyer or established selling venue?  What are the fees for that like?  How risk averse are you, are you paying the highest insurance rates when shipping?  How much is your personal time worth?  How much time are you willing to put in to maximize your profit?  Are there tax implications that factor into your decision making? Or geographical ones?j

if you want to lay out more specifics about your situation, you’ll get a more specific answer

Edited by revat

I would sell it on ebay, there's no need to have it slabbed. I think with all those creases and spine ticks it will probably fall within the 5.0-6.0 range.  It's a newsstand copy, which sells for more than the direct edition. I'd list it for $200 obo and I would take multiple pictures of the front, back covers and interior but not post a specific grade. I wouldn't sell for less than $100 though. 

Edited by Flanders82

On 7/5/2021 at 12:25 AM, Flanders82 said:

I would sell it on ebay, there's no need to have it slabbed. I think with all those creases and spine ticks it will probably fall within the 5.0-6.0 range.  It's a newsstand copy, which sells for more than the direct edition. I'd list it for $200 obo and I would take multiple pictures of the front, back covers and interior but not post a specific grade. I wouldn't sell for less than $100 though. 

This makes sense

With lower or mid grade 80s keys, I always sell them and save up to get a better copy. Because really they are out there and I’d rather use the money and spend a little extra for a 8.0+ book than keep a 4.0-6.0 book