• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where does CGC get first appearance information from?

69 posts in this topic

I bought a copy of Pictures News 2 this morning from MCS.

1st Sinatra in Comics... I actually would like to get that designated on a CGC slab lol 

I also wound up buying the 1st cover appearance of Sinatra in comics in Pictures News 3. 

Pictures News 2a.jpeg

image.thumb.png.a3b5acda166db54d6415f06a87fcb751.png

Edited by Buzzetta

On 6/27/2021 at 12:51 PM, Sky1 said:

Title & can they make mistakes?  No, I am not talking about debatable first appearances, like Wolverine.  There is this one character that CGC got wrong from what I can gather.  The book they labeled as the first appearance came out months after the real first appearance.  On top of that, all of google & any Wiki page will disagree with CGC.  What can be done here to get this corrected?

I rather not say who the character is because I do not want to add to the speculation market.

Yeah, they make mistakes. There is a mistake on Batman 357 for instance. I just posted about it in the ask CGC thread. Not sure anything will change but at least I know they looked at what I wrote. Honestly, while some people buy the label over the book, I am assuming most fans aren't dumb. the market will eventually find it's way. With 357, it's a key regardless due to another characters first appearance so that won't change the value. Could change the value for other books though.

22 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I bought a copy of Pictures News 2 this morning from MCS.

1st Sinatra in Comics... I actually would like to get that designated on a CGC slab lol 

I also wound up buying the 1st cover appearance of Sinatra in comics in Pictures News 3. 

Pictures News 2a.jpeg

image.thumb.png.a3b5acda166db54d6415f06a87fcb751.png

WHAT?!? @Buzzetta You just ruined everything for @Sky1 ThEsE BoOkS JuSt WeNT insAnE bEcAUse THeY weRe MeNtIonEd oN tHe BoarDs!! The FiRsT appEarAnCE!!  THE SPECULATION MARKET!! 🤯

22 minutes ago, Fisionbomb said:

WHAT?!? @Buzzetta You just ruined everything for @Sky1 ThEsE BoOkS JuSt WeNT insAnE bEcAUse THeY weRe MeNtIonEd oN tHe BoarDs!! The FiRsT appEarAnCE!!  THE SPECULATION MARKET!! 🤯

One day this Sinatra guy is going to make something of himself and these books are going to blow up. 

"Einstein & Hitler cameo"

Something I never would have expected to read on a CGC label lol  Thanks for sharing.

22 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Honestly, while some people buy the label over the book

What does this mean exactly and why do people hate that so much here?  Does it include people who care about the grade & color of the label as well?

16 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

One day this Sinatra guy is going to make something of himself and these books are going to blow up. 

I like you Buzzetta, you buy with your heart, like I do. Have you ever thought of getting the Mile High pedigree for Picture News 3? It's one of the more affordable Mile Highs out there.

Edited by William-James88

1 hour ago, Sky1 said:

"Einstein & Hitler cameo"

Something I never would have expected to read on a CGC label lol  Thanks for sharing.

What does this mean exactly and why do people hate that so much here?  Does it include people who care about the grade & color of the label as well?

Many hate it because it means the person who bought the slab just bought it as a "hot" collectible, void of any love for the actual comic they are buying. The slab and what is written on it is all that matters, the comic book within is almost of secondary importance. 

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

Many hate it because it means the person who bought the slab just bought it as a "hot" collectible, void of any love for the actual comic they are buying. The slab and what is written on it is all that matters, the comic book within is almost of secondary importance. 

Can there be people who love the book but also want the absolute best available?  Unfortunately the label factors into that.

I can see why people might hate on what you described though.  They got to be one of many reasons why prices are so high.  Take a look at these, keep in mind I am a modern collector, so just showing what's going on with "first appearances" over there.

Prices all based on 9.8 & if possible the most in demand variant cover...

Miles Morales - 15k

Kamala Kahn - 10k

Spidergwen - 10k

America Chavez - 4k

Riri Williams - 3k

Young Avengers - 2k

Moongirl - 2k

Amadeus Cho - 1.5k

Viv Vision - 1k

Silk - 1k

You know what, any character you can think of in modern era, you can expect to pay 1k (variant or otherwise).  Prices like above is why I am so paranoid & being "secretive."  Anything seems to raise prices here.  I mean I'm just a fan, I don't want to flip this!  I doubt it's even possible.  Unfortunately I am getting priced out if I want any 9.8's.

I don't know, I guess I'll go buy some Sinatra books lol