• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where does CGC get first appearance information from?

69 posts in this topic

Title & can they make mistakes?  No, I am not talking about debatable first appearances, like Wolverine.  There is this one character that CGC got wrong from what I can gather.  The book they labeled as the first appearance came out months after the real first appearance.  On top of that, all of google & any Wiki page will disagree with CGC.  What can be done here to get this corrected?

I rather not say who the character is because I do not want to add to the speculation market.

18 minutes ago, K.P.D. said:

Label donkeys :facepalm:

15 minutes ago, K.P.D. said:

lol no debate on that one, it's Hulk #180.

I'm confused with you, so getting the correct first appearance on the label matters or no? lol

14 minutes ago, K.P.D. said:

I'll guess Gambit :wishluck:

Not even close, but thanks for raising the price of his 1st appearance now :cry:

Edited by Sky1

Just now, ExNihilo said:

Why not go straight to the horse's mouth?  Write to CGC for an explanation or provide evidence.

I would but didn't think they would listen to us mortals.  Thought they contact the publishers or have their own sanctioned investigative team to determine 1st appearances, lol

Just now, Sky1 said:

I would but didn't think they would listen to us mortals.  Thought they contact the publishers or have their own sanctioned investigative team to determine 1st appearances, lol

I once emailed for clarity on the 1st appearance of The Batman Who Laughs, and CGC was able to provide an explanation.

1 hour ago, Sky1 said:

Title & can they make mistakes?  No, I am not talking about debatable first appearances, like Wolverine.  There is this one character that CGC got wrong from what I can gather.  The book they labeled as the first appearance came out months after the real first appearance.  On top of that, all of google & any Wiki page will disagree with CGC.  What can be done here to get this corrected?

I rather not say who the character is because I do not want to add to the speculation market.

I do not think anything you say here is going to "add to the speculation market."   I personally would rather just know who you are talking about.  

But if you are bound and determined to keep the information secret, you probably just contact CGC directly, right?  Someone is in charge of those labels.  

1 hour ago, Fisionbomb said:

This thread pisses me off.

You're just cranky, go take a nap or ask your mom for a juice box.  Then you can come back & provide some details to your feelings so we can have grown up discussions lol

7 hours ago, Sky1 said:

can they make mistakes?

Yes, they can and do. They've even replaced accurate notes with incorrect garbage. :facepalm:

Regardless, their notes are irrelevant.

7 hours ago, Sky1 said:

On top of that, all of google & any Wiki page will disagree with CGC.

Which also doesn't necessarily mean much, as there is and has been lots of misinformation that has been spread far and wide.

7 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:
14 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

I recommend a foray into the Water Cooler. It'll do wonders for you.

There isn't even any water.  Ripoff

Lots of crying though

18 hours ago, Sky1 said:

Sarcastic Ok GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I went to a local show yesterday and bought a couple first apps that I'm speculating on. Not gunna tell anyone. nuh-uh, nope.

2caZzaobEg6Qr6CfM1IHTWDn3Z-LZ8VTBeMJX33B

Edited by Jeffro.