• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grader notes meanings?
2 2

9 posts in this topic

I've been collecting comics for 40 years, I've always been relatively good at examining/grading.   I usually submit my books through a local comic store, however I decided to ship directly on a few books recently.   I have a bronze age book that, to the eye appears mint.  I can not find a flaw on the book.  However it was graded by CGC and the result was a 9.4.  The grader notes state, "Light bend in cover"   The book laid completely flat when shipped.  Now that's not to say that something couldn't have occurred in transit, but it was shipped as recommended.   With that, what exactly is "light bend in cover"   that would knock it down to a 9.4?  I have books with full creases that are 9.4.   So I can't seem to make sense of this one.  Thanks for any insight. 

Got pics? My first impression is overhang bend and on all 3 edges that could land it at NM.

Thanks.

13 hours ago, comicquant said:

Light bend typically ends up being a larger non color breaking crease…. Because of this they are difficult to see in the slab.  My guess is you didn’t have the book pressed.  That’s not a bad thing but will remove the “bends”.

(thumbsu

Yeah, I'm at the point where every book I submit, I get it pressed.

It really is a shame to press all these books that have survived decades without restoration just so CGC doesn't slap me in the face with non stop light finger bends and light creasing.

I remember way back in 2020 I'd get umpressed books back graded 9.8s regularly.