• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phoenix ComiCon tomorrow!

5 posts in this topic

I didn't go to the first one last year, so I'm afraid I'm getting excited about the 2nd Annual Phoenix ComiCon for nothing. There will probably be 10-12 dealers with low-grade bronze selling for 100%+ guide. I'll let you know how it went. I was hoping we could have another Pittsburgh-like ComiCon on our hands here soon.

Well, I have to give a mixed review. It wasn't bad for it's 2nd year. Last year they held it in a conference room at a Best Western, and this year they had to rent out the Glendale, AZ Civic Center. Probably 50 vendors or so (I'm a bad estimator). The bad news is that there wasn't anything good to buy. Mostly 25¢-$1 boxes of [!@#%^&^]. Some silver age, but mainly Spidey, X-Men, and Hulk. Nothing like cashing in on movie trends. Whoever decided to keep their Batman's at the shop lost out on some good business from me.

One highlight was a Hulk 181 CGC 5.0 for $650. I guess some people think the CGC holder itself adds value to the comic. (Or maybe I'm behind on the value of Hulk 181.) So needless to say, I didn't buy a thing. They're claiming to be bigger, with a big-name guest next year. So my fingers are crossed. Luckily, Phoenix is only 5 hours from San Diego.

I was there...

Yeah - there wasn't a lot of great stuff to buy if you compare it to San Diego comicon or anything, but did you check out All About Book and COmics? They had some nice stuff priced pretty fairly.

THe Fantasy Comics guys from Tucson are the nicest guys on the planet and they had some really nice stuff as well. There was another booth that had HUlk #1, X-Men #1, Huly 181, some golden age stuff cgc graded, etc. - it was all over priced, though.

It was much better than last year, though. Did you see the dude that entered the costume constest as the Hulk? He was real sloppy fat, had a tank top on, and only painted the front of himself green? That was sooooo funny!

I saw All About's booth. They had some decent stuff, but it was all Marvel. I'm a DC guy. I'll use their 20% off coupon at their store.

I did see the Hulk guy! My brother and I were laughing at him too. I commented to my bro about his front-half painting only. I guess what he couldn't see didn't exist. I didn't think the Hulk had boobies.

My favorite valley dealer is Greg of Greg's Comics in Mesa. But he told me he wasn't wasting his day off. smile.gif Oh well, the money I painstakingly saved for this show now goes towards eBay.