• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Challenge - Who did this Dr. Strange tryout page?
2 2

13 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I was scanning some new acquisitions - will post some to CAF soon - when I thought, heck, I should scan this page I picked up off ebay maybe 20 years ago and see if anyone recognizes the artist.

So please take a gander and reply in line - certainly, may not be a future professional at all...

Mark

Mystery Dr. Strange Page.jpg

Neil Vokes? The art reminds me a bit of Eagle, a comic he worked on in the 80s with Rich Rankin, and Neil did work on Dr Strange, according to The Internet. Looking at his older work, I think it could be a possibility. I found this image on eBay of an older work of his. Good luck with the search!

004104AF-0A56-41E0-8662-B082E2A28E4E.jpeg.eda460a165cb6bbb6ef438f995e8b957.jpeg

Edited by Latverian Tourism Board

Are you sure it’s a tryout, and not a published piece? It’s very familiar; especially that fourth panel where the white temples look like horns at a quick glance. Don’t get me wrong, I like the page very much. But that one quirk jumped out at me immediately with the “Waitaminit I’ve seen this before” reaction. This one will haunt me ‘til we (the boards) solve it.

some of it reminds me of Tom Sutton, not that I think it is him but someone trying to do his Doc. This looks like someone with talent who is aping Doc artists' style throughout the page.

On 7/4/2021 at 2:02 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

I’d say that sure looks a lot like Timothy Truman. When was that art created? 

Based on the Truman work I've seen going all the way back to his earliest stuff with TSR and DC comics, that doesn't look anything like Tim Truman art.

1 hour ago, Jeffro. said:

Based on the Truman work I've seen going all the way back to his earliest stuff with TSR and DC comics, that doesn't look anything like Tim Truman art.

It's less polished but does have some Trumanesque features to it. I thought it might be an early Tryout page, or something. But, I'll bow to people who are more familiar with his art

Edited by PhilipB2k17