• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 (2nd Print) 1984
4 4

14 posts in this topic

Hello, I am hoping for some help with an estimate grading of my comic if possible please. I am considering selling my comic but wonder what it may grade as and also wonder if it would be worth having it slabbed? I think it is in great shape overall but there is some score marks on the front cover (doesn't break color but can be seen as a dark line inside front cover). The score marks on the front cover can be seen in the light. There is also some sort of smears/stains around the top staple on the cover. Not sure what this is? I have tried to capture the condition as best possible. Any grading/condition feedback very gladly received. I would like to know if it is worth having it slabbed because of the score mark/smears?

Thank you for any suggestions and guidance.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

2 minutes ago, Zegeroth said:

5.0 with the front crease.  That’s one that might could help from a press.  It is not breaking color on the front, but maybe does on the back.

8.5 to 5.0 crease.  $3000 crease.  Pay someone like hero to fix it.

Ah so if it wasn’t for the crease it could be an 8.5? Is that the clean and press option that might can help heal the front crease?

These scores are deep enough that a press will not eliminate them. They'll lessen but still be apparent. (IMO, but I did have a HOS 92 with similar marks and a press only helped a little.)

Tough to grade. It's not a crease or a tear but almost an amalgamation of both. VG/F cusp - 5.5.

Slab it and the flaws will likely look not as bad.

Thanks for posting. This is something we can learn from. I'll be watching for other opinions.

2 hours ago, grendelbo said:

These scores are deep enough that a press will not eliminate them. They'll lessen but still be apparent. (IMO, but I did have a HOS 92 with similar marks and a press only helped a little.)

Tough to grade. It's not a crease or a tear but almost an amalgamation of both. VG/F cusp - 5.5.

Slab it and the flaws will likely look not as bad.

Thanks for posting. This is something we can learn from. I'll be watching for other opinions.

Many thanks for your feedback. That’s very helpful. I’m thinking it won’t be worth it to slab it unless the demand for it goes the way of the 1st print. Other than the scoring it is in really great shape overall. It’s currently stored in a magazine toploader. I’m really clueless as what to sell this for/what it’s worth or potential is

20 minutes ago, Finhead said:

IMO that crease will not fully come out with a press, could be wrong but my $ is on partial.  6.0 max IMO with a press. At that grade slabbed your looking at anywhere from $1600-1900 ish  in the current market.

Thank you. That’s very helpful

I think it’s definitely worth slabbing. 2nd prints are and will be on the rise in the future, IMO. That, and with this book in particular, due to potential counterfeits/printing confusion, etc, having it slabbed will only help the value and sales potential. 

4 hours ago, TheAvenger80 said:

I think it’s definitely worth slabbing. 2nd prints are and will be on the rise in the future, IMO. That, and with this book in particular, due to potential counterfeits/printing confusion, etc, having it slabbed will only help the value and sales potential. 

Thanks. That gives me something to think about. 

24 minutes ago, Galen130 said:

Thanks for all your suggestions/insight. I’m guessing I will hold on to this then and perhaps sell it if the demand for it ever gets as such that somebody will just want to own it regardless of the scoring

2 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

book appears 5.0/5.5

Without those major cover creases, I think the book still only grades in the 7.0/7.5 range with that spine...add the cover creases and the book falls a couple of full grades

Amazing insight thanksalot!