• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Low census numbers on Atlas war comics

9 posts in this topic

Just a quick question. 

Are the census numbers on Atlas war comics low due to lack of interest in these books or are they actually a bit hard to find?

Thanks for any replies.

10 minutes ago, alecholland said:

Just a quick question. 

Are the census numbers on Atlas war comics low due to lack of interest in these books or are they actually a bit hard to find?

Thanks for any replies.

People grade for money far more than any other reason. Most of the Atlas war titles are not valued like super-hero books.

Thanks for the replies. I was just checking the census on a few books I have and saw there were only 1 or 2 graded copies of each of them. 
My thought was that there probably was not enough interest in them to get them graded as PeterPark suggested. Grading might cost more than the book was worth in some cases. 
But, I also thought perhaps there are some that may be a little scarce as well. 
Mine are all lower grade Good to Very Good. 
Thanks again for the responses!

Most issues aren't hard to find, but in grade they're extremely difficult.  In VG they generally don't bring more than $10-30.  But in true VF can break 4 figures depending on the issue.  Most people who collect them do so for the interiors at least as much as the covers, so it's not only often not worth it to get them slabbed, but often contrary to what the buyer is looking for.  

But in honesty, if all the HG copies were graded the census wouldn't look all that different.  They're near impossible in grade.

Thanks again for the replies. I bought a few from my LCS several years ago, all lower grade but still nice - no major defects. I pulled them out to read the other day and was starting to regret not buying every one of them that she had for sale.

Her husband grades the books and is really tough. Most books he grades as G are usually closer to VG. For example, at the same time I bought the war books, I bought a Black Knight 1 that he graded G+. I sold it last year as G/VG (kicking myself a bit) and the person I sold it to got it graded by CGC and it came back 4.5.

At any rate, my original question was really just because I felt like I probably should have bought the whole stack of Atlas war books when I saw them. With prices going up on so many books lately, I'm beginning worry I may not be able to afford or even find some of the books I want anymore.

Thanks again. :foryou:

Edited by alecholland