• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's REBEL MOON PART ONE: A CHILD OF FIRE direct by Zack Snyder (2023)
4 4

241 posts in this topic

Now that I don't really have much of a reason to see CBMs in theaters, this movie (and Oppenheimer) are among my most-anticipated for 2023.

This will also be a make-or-break movie as far as content written by Zack Snyder. Sucker Punch is meh, and I didn't care for Army of the Dead. 3 strikes and you're out! (He's still great at directing.)

Most recently Stoll, who also appeared in Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, spoke with Collider about his work on Snyder’s upcoming sci-fi epic. Suggesting that both the film’s cast and crew “would go to the ends of the earth for him”, he was full of praise for the director’s work ethic, enthusiasm, and approachability. This latest testimonial comes on the heels of similar comments made by Stoll’s fellow Rebel Moon co-star Cleopatra Coleman.

"He is there in the trenches with everybody. As soon as you walk onto his set, you get a sense that everybody, the cast and the crew, would go to the ends of the earth for him because he's there covered in dust, 110 degrees in the desert, working these crazy hours with a smile on his face and so it really is a joy to see something on that scale, working on that scale, but with this sense of playfulness and enthusiasm that he has."

Netflix’s Approach Shifts, Pushing Content That Can ‘Pop’

Netflix’s marketing tactics are indicative of an evolving strategy for a company that is facing a much more competitive streaming marketplace — and trying to serve an increasingly fickle audience. The new tactics also come as Netflix has introduced an advertising tier and is cracking down on password sharing as it contends with a maturing U.S. market. It has also essentially replaced its original creative team, opting for executives with broader tastes to serve a global marketplace. To sell this evolution of the world’s largest streaming service, the company is relying on Marian Lee, its third chief marketing officer in three years.

“I’m trying to enable creativity, because I want to bring all of this content to more people around the world,” Ms. Lee said in an interview at Netflix’s headquarters in Los Angeles. “I also want the rest of Netflix to understand what the marketing strategy is: We support the content organization.”

Ms. Lee was the global co-head of music at Spotify when she was hired by Ms. Saint John in July 2021. She was promoted to chief marketing officer in March 2022 after Ms. Saint John left. In contrast with her predecessor, Ms. Lee’s Instagram account is private, and when she was offered Ms. Saint John’s office, she declined, opting to remain in the one she occupied that was closer to her staff.

Netflix’s marketing budget has remained fairly consistent, increasing to $2.5 billion in 2022 from $2.2 billion in 2020. But Ms. Lee’s 400-plus global team has enacted a subtle change in strategy, in which many of those dollars have been shifted to focus on individual titles as opposed to the branding of the streaming service itself.

Filmmakers, though, have noticed a difference with Ms. Lee.

“Right when she arrived, she came down to see what we were doing and visited the set often,” said Debbie Snyder, a producer of the $80 million sci-fi spectacle “Rebel Moon,” which is directed by her husband, Zack Snyder. The plan is for the film, scheduled to debut on Dec. 22, to be the first in a trilogy.

Did Ms. Snyder receive the same personalized attention when the film “Army of the Dead” debuted in 2021? “No,” she said. “Not really at all.”