• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's REBEL MOON PART ONE: A CHILD OF FIRE direct by Zack Snyder (2023)
4 4

241 posts in this topic

Cary Elwes and Corey Stoll have joined the galaxy-spanning cast of Zack Snyder’s epic sci-fi fantasy, Rebel Moon.

Dutch actor Michiel Huisman and Mexican thespian Alfonso Herrera are also on board the Netflix mega-project that begins production later this month.

Sofia Boutella is leading the ensemble cast for the film that also has Charlie Hunnam, Djimon Hounsou, Doona Bae, Ray Fisher, Rupert Friend and Stuart Martin on the call sheet.

The story tells of a peaceful colony on the edge of the galaxy that is threatened by the armies of a tyrannical regent named Belisarius. Desperate, the colonists dispatch a young woman (Boutella) with a mysterious past to seek out warriors from neighboring planets to help them make a stand.

Fresh off a fan-favorite Oscar win for Army of the Dead, Zack Snyder is adding new cast members to his upcoming film Rebel Moon. Joining the sci-fi epic’s already formidable cast are Cary Elwes (The Princess Bride, Saw), Michiel Huisman (The Haunting of Hill House, Game of Thrones), Alfonso Herrera (Sense8, Ozark) and Corey Stoll (West Side Story, Billions). The film begins production this year.

Rebel Moon began as a potential Star Wars spin-off project before Snyder decided to take it in its own direction. Snyder’s new film follows a group of colonists on the edge of the galaxy who enlist warriors to help them fight back against the invading forces of an intergalactic dictator. If that sounds a little familiar, don’t worry, you’re not going space-mad: Snyder is taking hefty inspiration from Akira Kurosawa’s Seven Samurai. “This is me growing up as an Akira Kurosawa fan, a Star Wars fan,” Snyder told The Hollywood Reporter when Rebel Moon was announced. “It’s my love of sci-fi and a giant adventure.”

On 4/9/2022 at 8:06 AM, ▫️ said:

I’m trying not to write this off in my mind as the biggest piece of Star Wars fan fiction ever created. It could be awesome right? Or it could be..

if you mentally convince yourself of a thing, it becomes that thing.

Don't allow the negative gnats to chew at your gray matter.

On 4/9/2022 at 3:38 PM, Bosco685 said:

if you mentally convince yourself of a thing, it becomes that thing.

Don't allow the negative gnats to chew at your gray matter.

I’m not sure who the negative gnats are besides a couple here on the boards and they are easy to dismiss. Two of my most anticipated projects last year were ZSJL and Army of the Dead. One was spectacular and one sucked. For me. So I hope Rebel Moon turns out to have more originality than I’m giving it credit for and can distance itself from the Star Wars project it was pitched as. 

On 4/9/2022 at 9:01 AM, ▫️ said:

I’m not sure who the negative gnats are besides a couple here on the boards and they are easy to dismiss. Two of my most anticipated projects last year were ZSJL and Army of the Dead. One was spectacular and one sucked. For me. So I hope Rebel Moon turns out to have more originality than I’m giving it credit for and can distance itself from the Star Wars project it was pitched as. 

I think because people have gotten so used to straightforward storytelling they were extra harsh on Army of the Dead.

It's clear the story involves something to do with time travel, space aliens and a building attack on humanity. Army of Thieves definitely provided more of the breadcrumbs, and I think Planet of the Dead is going to reveal much more.

On 4/9/2022 at 4:31 PM, Bosco685 said:

I think because people have gotten so used to straightforward storytelling they were extra harsh on Army of the Dead.

It's clear the story involves something to do with time travel, space aliens and a building attack on humanity. Army of Thieves definitely provided more of the breadcrumbs, and I think Planet of the Dead is going to reveal much more.

I must have missed the time travel part then. I’ll watch it again. It IS very watchable, just not what I wanted. I think I wanted Dawn of the Dead part II.

Edited by ▫️

Casting (Call) a Wide Net

The ensemble cast of Rebel Moon features Oscars, Emmys, BAFTAs, and a few other awards that will cause a fireplace mantle to cave. Hopkins is the latest to join the geeky club, which recently welcomed Cary Elwes (The Princess Bride, Saw) and Corey Stoll (House of Cards, Billions). The film’s center revolves around Sofia Boutella, and say what you will about The Mummy, but that girl can build tension in a sci-fi flick.

Along with them, we have read news about Charlie Hunnam (King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, Sons of Anarchy), Doona Bae (Jupiter Ascending, Cloud Atlas), Ray Fisher (The guy was effin’ Cyborg!), Rupert Friend (Infinite and he is the Grand Inquisitor in Obi-Wan Kenobi), Stuart Martin (Army of Thieves, Medici), Jena Malone (The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, Sucker Punch), Ed Skrein (Deadpool…he was Ajax/Alita: Battle Angel), Michiel Huisman (The Age of Adaline, The Flight Attendant), and Alfonso Herrera (The Exorcist TV series, Queen of the South).

And the teasers of the Rebel Moon ensemble all began with Djimon Hounsou (Gladiator, Amistad) and a grim visage of what looks like death, or at least a nasty snarl of whoop @$$.