• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have a Star Spangled War Stories Question

117 posts in this topic

Looking over the covers to the DC War Big Five for the late 50's, I came across the series of covers for the Mademoiselle Marie stories in issue numbers around mid- to high-80s for Star Spangled War Stories. Anyone can comment on the quality of these stories or of the book in general around that time period. Bigfiver, AdamStrange, anyone else ?? Any info / comment would be appreciated.

That cover (# 88) by the way is very Modesty Blaise-ish. Was that the driver behind the series of stories - A Modesty in World War II occupied Europe?

945_4_0088.jpg

I don't what you mean exactly by "that time period", but the Enemy Ace stories in 138-150 are some of the best comics I have ever read. thumbsup2.gif

I mean late fifties book, basically anything before 1960 for no other reason that it is another decade. Don't ask me to make sense please.

The MARIE stories were more about war stuff. Like smuggling soldiers from behind enemy lines and getting the scoop on what the enemy was up too. No cops and robbers stuff like MODESY stories. The Mille. Marie stories were pretty good.

I did a thread on the characters of SSWS. I'll bump it up for you. You might find it interesting.

Looking over the covers to the DC War Big Five for the late 50's, I came across the series of covers for the Mademoiselle Marie stories in issue numbers around mid- to high-80s for Star Spangled War Stories. Anyone can comment on the quality of these stories or of the book in general around that time period. Bigfiver, AdamStrange, anyone else ?? Any info / comment would be appreciated.

That cover (# 88) by the way is very Modesty Blaise-ish. Was that the driver behind the series of stories - A Modesty in World War II occupied Europe?

945_4_0088.jpg

Drucker. Marie. cloud9.gif

There are 8 Marie's in the initial sequence of stories, 4 of which are by Mort Drucker and are fabulous. Firing Mort was the only mistake that Bob Kanigher ever admitted making, and for my money, it was doozy. His comic work is not well known because much of it was imitating "house style" in humor/mystery books or it's in his own style, but in the midst of Kanigher's war books. They war stories are all well worth seeking out.

I'm a big fan of the DC Big 5 War Comics, but I generally buy only those issues with the artists I particularly like: Kubert, Heath, Drucker, and Severin. There are others -- Murphy Anderson, Infantino, Curt Swan etc that can be quite enjoyable. Chris Pedrin's Big 5 Guide lists all of the credits for all of the titles so that you can know which ones to pick up.

A friend of mine got Drucker to do a head-shot of Marie. Mort doesn't do many sketches, but I think he was touched/intrigued that somebody thought so highly of his work from so long ago. He was devasted at being fired, though it turned out for the best for him.

Hope that helps.

There are 8 Marie's in the initial sequence of stories, 4 of which are by Mort Drucker and are fabulous. Firing Mort was the only mistake that Bob Kanigher ever admitted making, and for my money, it was doozy. His comic work is not well known because much of it was imitating "house style" in humor/mystery books or it's in his own style, but in the midst of Kanigher's war books. They war stories are all well worth seeking out.

I'm a big fan of the DC Big 5 War Comics, but I generally buy only those issues with the artists I particularly like: Kubert, Heath, Drucker, and Severin. There are others -- Murphy Anderson, Infantino, Curt Swan etc that can be quite enjoyable. Chris Pedrin's Big 5 Guide lists all of the credits for all of the titles so that you can know which ones to pick up.

A friend of mine got Drucker to do a head-shot of Marie. Mort doesn't do many sketches, but I think he was touched/intrigued that somebody thought so highly of his work from so long ago. He was devasted at being fired, though it turned out for the best for him.

Hope that helps.

Adam, as usual it does. Lately I have been expanding the range of books I will consider for my collection and have gone and looked at a lot of books from both Atlas and DC (because they have good online resources / galleries available).

Aside - Atlas got DC beat when it comes to cover work (apart from the funny human characters but this is because DC had long running titles such as Bob Hope and Jerry Lewis).

The Mademoiselle Marie books stood out for me (probably because of the connection to the home country). I also went through the complete checklist of John Severin's comic work in Squa Tront 11 and realized that he did very little work in the 10 centers DC War Book (probably 10 or less stories) so I'll be sure to hunt those down.

As a rule, can I pick these in my usual grades (VG and below) at a discount to guide?

Hope that helps.

Adam, as usual it does. Lately I have been expanding the range of books I will consider for my collection and have gone and looked at a lot of books from both Atlas and DC (because they have good online resources / galleries available).

Aside - Atlas got DC beat when it comes to cover work (apart from the funny human characters but this is because DC had long running titles such as Bob Hope and Jerry Lewis).

The Mademoiselle Marie books stood out for me (probably because of the connection to the home country). I also went through the complete checklist of John Severin's comic work in Squa Tront 11 and realized that he did very little work in the 10 centers DC War Book (probably 10 or less stories) so I'll be sure to hunt those down.

As a rule, can I pick these in my usual grades (VG and below) at a discount to guide?

Ah, now I understood. You were looking for the French Connection. insane.gif

On second thought, maybe that's your next collecting theme? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Here's one that one would fit:

Stange Mys 4

(gossip.gif It's an excellent example of the bizarre stories from Superior. It features rat men who live in the catacombs wearing short-sleeved shirts, neck scarves, and berets.) screwy.gif

Re: I recall Severin's output as 8 so we're in the same ballpark. I've seen original art from 3 of the stories -- which defintely surprised me when I looked up how few there were. If you want a really short wantlist look for Everett's work in DC War.

If you want to know a bit more about Kanigher (and a little about Drucker) pick up Comics Journal 85 & 86.

On second thought, maybe that's your next collecting theme? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Interesting idea. Have there been any French heroes or villains in American comics? Even when the New X-Men launched with an international mutant theme, I don't remember any references to a French mutant (which you'd think there would be, with all that nuclear power). I'm only coming up with Batroc zee Lee-pair, master of savate, one of the goofiest villains of all. Otherwise, lots of brave and noble French resistance fighters in all of the war books, Marvel and DC.

im dreaming its a grease gun...... ooooh more grease Mlle Marie!!! cest bien! cest tres bien!!

I think it's supposed to be a grease gun, but the artist did a lousy job of drawing it. Not exactly Russ Heath precision.

Interesting idea. Have there been any French heroes or villains in American comics? Even when the New X-Men launched with an international mutant theme, I don't remember any references to a French mutant (which you'd think there would be, with all that nuclear power). I'm only coming up with Batroc zee Lee-pair, master of savate, one of the goofiest villains of all. Otherwise, lots of brave and noble French resistance fighters in all of the war books, Marvel and DC.

not too familair with the early Blackhawks (ie., "war" books"?), but Andre was one of the Blackhawks!!!!!

"Sacre Bleu"!!!! "Mon Dieu"!!!!!!!......................... grin.gif

Even when the New X-Men launched with an international mutant theme, I don't remember any references to a French mutant (which you'd think there would be, with all that nuclear power).

27_laughing.gif You'd think and yes there is truly a dearth of French super-heroes / heroes. Batroc is the one people will remember and he is a super-villain and André is not a super-hero per se (at least in the Blackhawks that count). But that's also true of Italian, Spanish and German nationals. Well, there are plenty(?) of German super-villains / villains. I don't know if this is a valid explanation but what would a kid (as the early creators were) who grew up in New York (Bronx, Queens, East Side, ...) know about French culture / folklore or at least enough to come up with a character? I would trace this bias a little bit back to that fact. It all means we missed out on a Scarlet Mousquetaire or a Capitaine Corsaire or Jean Valjean type character (ex-con turned rich crime fighter) or a MonteChristo character (ex-conned turned rich crime fighter).

The closest I ever came to include a French theme to my comic book collecting was to focus on covers that feature the Eiffel Tower. There are enough out there to build a small collection (nowhere near as large as the Scuba covers but enough). Some are actually well known ...

The closest I ever came to include a French theme to my comic book collecting was to focus on covers that feature the Eiffel Tower. There are enough out there to build a small collection (nowhere near as large as the Scuba covers but enough). Some are actually well known ...

It would make a great thread popcorn.gif

Really? I only know of two.

140_2_57.jpg1571_2_071.jpg

What are the others? confused-smiley-013.gif

Then, there's the L'Arc De Triumph in Invaders Annual...

2395_4_1.jpg

EDIT: Apparently Elektra #4 is also an Eiffel cover.

%5CAUTOIMAGES%5CCCG15529lg.jpg

Nice books.

I'm pretty sure there an Action and a Detective cover. Let's get Scrooge to start a thread...