• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Lucky Scores, Finds and Comic Book Stories!

68 posts in this topic

I've never scored like you have, Bob!  I've always had to pay dealer or auction prices when I got back into collecting.  I guess the closest to that was when I subbed and bought all of the East Coast Comix reprints in the early '70's for a buck apiece.  Of course that was also when I could go into places like your old haunt, Cherokee Books in Hollywood, and pick up some pre-code horror comic books for the princely sum of two dollars each.

Was at a local comic shop in Northeast OH and talking to the owner. A guy walked in and said he had some comics in his trunk. Would the shop be interested in looking? The shop owner passed. I got the OK from the owner to take a look. I walked out to the car and the guy had 11 books in the trunk. He wanted $12. In the middle of the pile was a Hulk 181. This was quite a while ago, but it was still a find. I didn't haggle. 

EDIT: We're in the golden age forum...I'll think of another one. 

Edited by Shrevvy

More than half my comics I found at garage sales, junks shops, flea markets, but nothing to make anyone here drool over at all.

I almost always find one or two at a time. Only a few times did I score a bunch of comics. One of the first times I bought old comics in the late 80s was at a flea market some person had a box of unused store stock of 50s Weather Bird Shoes giveaway comics. The remaindered ones they put a new cover on. Most were westerns, but I got a Hot Stuff #1 in there and a couple other cool Harveys too.

Another flea market I bought a stack of comics from a old guy mostly selling old 16mm films. For a buck a piece I got Batman 126 and 127,  Honeymooners 4 and 5, A couple Date with Judys, A few Fox and Crows and a few others I forget. I bought like 20 cartoon films from him too.

A great find I stupidly passed up was about 25 early issues of Archie, probably every issue from about #8 or so to early #30s. I stupidly passed them up because I only had like ten bucks to my name and had all day of searching junk shops ahead of me and didnt want to blow all my money right away in case I found something later. But of course I didnt and when I went back to buy some of those Archies they were gone. One of the many things i stupidly passed up and still think about 30 years later, like the huge box full of mint big little books for next to nothing I decided to not buy for some reason.

Here is one more Golden age centric. Somehow I was given pictures of a comic lot for sale. I don't remember where or how those pictures came to me. It was a box of golden age stuff that the guy acquired through a house clean out or something similar. There were some good stuff in the pics - the cover to Detective #40 and some early Batmans. The stuff was pretty rough. He wanted a nominal amount - $500 or so. It was pretty sketchy. I thought it was a scam. I ended up talking to the guy on the phone several times. No paypal, no check. He wanted Western Union money wired to him. I spoke with a local comic store and asked if they would broker the deal for a fee. They were honest (but a bit slimey) and said if they guy brought the books in (he was known for selling random finds) and they were good, he would keep them for himself instead of brokering the deal for me. Against my better judgement, I wired him the money and was on the phone when he mailed the books. I received a box of pieces and parts and several complete books. In the pieces and parts were the rest of the Detective #40 minus a few non-Batman pages and Batman 2, 4 ,8 ,16 and some others I can't remember. This was 6-8 years ago. Last year, I sent a few of the books to CGC. I'll dig them out and post pics.

There is more to the story. They guy contacted me a few weeks later saying he had more books. He sent me pics of some early World's Finest. We struck another deal. This was similar to the first in which I didn't really know what was in the lot besides the few I could see. Money was about the same. I wired him the money and then...crickets. Didn't answer the phone. Didn't respond to emails. Maybe that was his long game? To set me up and scam me on deal #2. So, all in I am in for $1000 or so on the books. Still a deal.

1 hour ago, Hap Hazard said:

Love these kind of stories, what comic collectors dreams are made of,

My only read comic find happened in 1992 while I was living in Hawaii. Every Sunday I would hit the

Aloha Bowl swap meet and usually find nothing but one time I was making my rounds and a spotted a young man

selling comics off a small table mostly newer super hero comics. I asked him if he had any older comics and he said yes

in a box under the table. I took a look and saw a Crypt of Terror 18 on the top stack of comics nothing bagged just a pile of EC's. I asked

how much for the box, I'm thinking at least several hundred, he looked down at them and said these were his Uncle's book. That no one

wanted them and said Forty bucks for the box. I said OK, and ran home with my treasures, 110 EC's mostly G/VG from the later days of EC 1954-1955.

Almost a full run of the New Directions. My best score ever, I used the best books to fill my EC collection and sold the dupes.

I would have wet my pants. You know how much I love ECs. I have found a few stray issues in small groups of old comics but never that many all st once. 

I know you know Jamie Newbold. He and I and a guy named Ski Mark Ford used to hit the Rose Bowl every month in the mid 1970’s. We used to score a lot of old comics there. We often had to share our finds. 

There was a guy named Loren Mark who set up with his mom who always had the best books. I remember getting an All Star 4 from him. One day, I fished out a book called Reform School Girl out of one of his unbagged stacks. We all laughed at it and I bought it for a couple of bucks. They all thought I was crazy. 

There was also another weird older guy that usually had lots of comics, pulps and odd paper. Eventully, he let me come over to his house. But that is a story for another time...

Back when I was a wee little lad, I lived in San Francisco’s North Beach just a few blacks from the late Lawrence Ferlingetti’s City Lights bookstore.

I used to buy old comic books at a nickel a piece or three comics for a dime at Ben’s Bargains on Grant Ave.  The store bought old comic books for a penny each.  My late older brother and I had our first taste of early silver age Marvels, finding ASM Annual 2, FF Annual 3, and Marvel Tales Annual 2.  The oldest book we found was a beaten up copy of ASM 9.

I remember getting jumped by three kids on my way to school outside the store and fighting them off.  I didn’t back down from anybody.

Edited by BitterOldMan

11 minutes ago, szav said:

So....modern day hunting story, got tired of not finding a particular book I was hunting on ebay or any comic site ever, so I just googled the book.  Somewhere on page 8 of the search results was a link to a defunct looking collectors website.  One guy had a list of a lot of nice books, I emailed him.  Took 4 weeks to get a response.  He told me he had listed those books 10 years ago but wasnt motivated to sell at the time, and had forgotten he'd ever listed them on that site.  Kinda seemed too good to be true, but I bought 4 books, after he took a few weeks to find time to take pictures and set up pay pal...got them in hand and was amazed.  His story was that he was a hoarder and estate hunter and that he'd gotten them 20 years ago and they'd been sitting in the basement.  There were sadly only 100 books or so, but they all graded out 6.5 - 8.5.  These must have been stored loosely because they all had plump sexy spines with a little thigh gap...Best find I've ever had...thanks google.  Here's a few, with the original group pictures sent to me, and a few I took after receiving.  

Fight35fine.jpg

Round4front.jpg

Jojo11Finefront.jpg

wings90finefront.jpg

Jungle85.jpg

wings88vfmin.jpg

Rangers39.jpg

Wings91fineminus.jpg

Wow, to me that would be right there with 100 ECs, probably better. 

Fight #35 might be my favorite FH book.