• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Lucky Scores, Finds and Comic Book Stories!

68 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

My favorite old time score was in the summer of 1974 down in Point Pleasant Beach, NJ (home of Jersey Mikes for those who go there). I was at my Aunt's house with the extended family and was probably bored and was reading the classified in the local paper for some reason. I saw an ad for a collection of comics for sale for $5. I convinced my Dad to take me there on the way home and in exchange for a five spot got five full shopping bags of comics. Pretty much every DC, Archie and Mad from 1960-1962 was there!! What a score and what an amazing summer of reading comics.

The guy I bought them from was a real DC nut as there was only one Marvel in the stack; Fantastic Four #4 that was unread. I foolishly traded that that summer; I regret that badly!!

I still have my favorite runs of the DC's in the bunch including JLA (starting with issue 1), Superman, Flash and some great Giant Annuals. I sold all the Archies and Mads years ago and some runs of the DC's including Batman and Detective were sold off too. The Green Lanterns disappeared and became a running joke with my brother who I accused of absconding with them!! Below is the Superman run; condition wasn't great on this collection but there were some great stories in this pile with Jerry Siegel returning to write some of his classic tales <choke>!

Probably the best $5 on comics I ever spent!

Supes1.thumb.jpg.13272b86681042ed675916e07690905f.jpg

Oh and a couple of the Flash issues from this collection as well.

Flash129.thumb.jpg.59b0cae232c6793031b168fa1d941ba8.jpgFlash139.thumb.jpg.8cab02121710970266752b01ae4dadc7.jpg

What a great score 50! Hard to imagine going through those shopping bags. Such a prime era for DCs. Right when I was buying them new. Your parents were probably overjoyed that you stayed out of their hair. 

One of my favorite scores was also a $5. find. I think I have told it before. A story for later. 

I also picked up a nice Flash #123 along with a bunch of other stuff a few years ago. 

DFB10EF8-169B-4635-8777-B77861EE81E7.jpeg

A82EC08B-2985-4BF2-88D4-7D7637B8C77A.jpeg

81AD41D8-D669-41E0-B712-BFB571E4865C.jpeg

There were also countless church sales and auctions where you could pick up old Dells and Gold Keys for pennies back in the seventies. My brother put together a sweet run of Turoks for almost nothing. We would love to find the issues with the painted covers from the fifties. Those were great books with great stories. Dell Giants were also plentiful but always seemed more beat up than smaller books. I still have a pile and they are train wrecks of books but so much fun!

On 7/10/2021 at 9:20 PM, october said:

A few years ago I was up in Wisconsin for training at Epic in Madison. While on the shuttle bus to their headquarters, I checked eBay and saw a pawn shop had listed a variety of golden age comics with grades ranging from G/VG to VG. I was on my phone, so couldn't see much, but they all looked MUCH better than the grades given. All had BIN numbers that were far to cheap for their apparent grades, but I was a little apprehensive since I couldn't see much on my phone screen. I made a few offers (which I came to shortly regret as others hit the full BINs), but did snag these after frantic refreshes. Some got sold, but kept the three Supermans. The Superman 8 was $500, the 14 was $2500 and the 21 was $375. All are in the F/VF to VF range. The 14 is one of my favorite comics. 

unnamed.jpg

001 (58).jpg

001 (63).jpg

001 (65).jpg

I goofed around a bit too long on these as well. I did get 2 Actions out of the listings though on my way out the door to work.

1 hour ago, Monsters-n-heroes said:

I goofed around a bit too long on these as well. I did get 2 Actions out of the listings though on my way out the door to work.

Some other board member got the Batman 11 that I (foolishly) only made an offer on. It was criminally undergraded as well.