• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 Drastically Different 2.5s - AF 15 & FF 52
1 1

26 posts in this topic

On 7/7/2021 at 4:19 PM, Buzzetta said:

Ehhh... not necessarily. They do not treat all defects equally.   Here is my 3.5 and I am leaving well enough alone at a 3.5.  

The big knocks on the book are the 3/4" spine split and the tape pull tab missing out of the back.  Visually it looks much better than a 3.5.

I am leaving well enough alone because as I was told years ago it could be a gamble of a .5 bump up OR DOWN.    I am leaving well enough alone.  CGC seems to really hit hard with certain defects no matter the appearance of the book otherwise.   

AF15cgc35a.thumb.jpg.e3cd0982ae825fc35fc6066c4066aa82.jpg

AF15cgc35b.thumb.jpg.76445e94cb95eca7145c41433062b1ad.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 7.15.10 PM.png

The graders were so bothered by the piece out that they mentioned it twice! lol First time I think I've seen something like this in their grader notes...

That's a sweet-looking 3.5...the front cover looks fantastic.

1 hour ago, silverseeker said:

The graders were so bothered by the piece out that they mentioned it twice! lol First time I think I've seen something like this in their grader notes...

That's a sweet-looking 3.5...the front cover looks fantastic.

I was wondering when someone would pick up on that. I have a shot at saying it's the best 3.5 out there lol  That's what makes me think that sometimes it might grade higher... then there are times that I think, leave it be. 

They also mentioned a medium and a large crease (not sure what actual sizes those are) but I have trouble seeing them through the slab, but medium and large size creases are not nothing either when compounded with all that other stuff.  Maybe it's one of those good from far, far from good deals and those creases show more up close.  With all that said I do think it looks better than almost every 3.5 I've ever seen.

On 7/7/2021 at 2:50 PM, Giovanni Molina said:

The AF5 has chipping, and a stain along left hand side and throughout the book. I estimated 4.0 at minimum.

I think you just were unaware of how damaging staining could be to a grade. Staining throughout the book can't ever get 4.0. The max grade for staining throughout the book (like if someone dropped some coffee on the book) is a 3.5 and that's if the book looks great regardless, which isn't the case with the AF 15. I might have expected a 3.0 instead but we are just a half grade off.

The FF book though feels like a gift grade. That book looks atrociaous. I have 1.8s that look muuuuch better.

Edited by William-James88