• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who else collects EC original artwork?

78 posts in this topic

Amazing stuff. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Don't suppose you've seen the original cover art to VoH #26 have you?

I've seen a recreation painting Johnny Craig did, but the car wasn't purple! makepoint.gif

Sorry, no, I've never heard of the cover re-surfacing since being auctioned-off by Cochran during the 1980s. Here's the painted version you mention (which doesn't belong to me, I hasten to add) . . .

i74fw8.jpg

I saw the original cover to VOH 26 at a AACC dinner in San Diego around 1998. Awesome piece.

It's a good example, but I don't think it's up there with Craig's best VOH covers. Funnily enough, I think the painting re-creation is far more superior to the original cover image . . .

Again, on the ARCHANGELS web-site, a 'Ghastly' Graham Ingels HAUNT OF FEAR cover priced at $28,000. Although expensive, it's $7k cheaper than the Craig VOH cover (personally, I'm of the belief that 'Ghastly' HOF covers are now as scarce as hen's teeth and more desirable to EC artwork collectors) - go figure!!! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

* Please note, the art has slipped in its matt and is minus stats of the 'three ghoulunatics' that appeared along the left edge (you can detect the paste-stains where the stats originally appeared).

iyn2ia.jpg

Fred; one of my all-time favorites. You must have been taking advantage of that weak dollar! Congrats! Dan

Of course weak dollar helped a little bit, but this time I had to get that cover, it was one of my 4 goals in collecting comics. Back in 81-82 ? it sold for over $1700.00, I went up to $1400.00 but that was 20 years ago and paying over a thousand five undred for a cover was insane, like now paying over 50K insane.gif

Fred; one of my all-time favorites. You must have been taking advantage of that weak dollar! Congrats! Dan

Of course weak dollar helped a little bit, but this time I had to get that cover, it was one of my 4 goals in collecting comics. Back in 81-82 ? it sold for over $1700.00, I went up to $1400.00 but that was 20 years ago and paying over a thousand five undred for a cover was insane, like now paying over 50K insane.gif

Well, at least it's nice to know there are others out there willing to grow with the hobby and take the plunge even when the same piece has grown in value exponentially... I have done it myself and occasionally question my sanity. Dan

Question . . . on a title by title basis, what are your favourite EC covers (one choice per title, and you can list any Pre-Trend, New-Trend, New-Direction and Picto-fiction material you want)?

It'll be interesting to see what fellow-EC fans like best.

In no particular order, here's my list of favourite EC covers . . .

GUNFIGHTER # 11 - Ingels

SADDLE JUSTICE # 7 - Ingels

SADDLE ROMANCES # 10 - Feldstein

CRIME PATROL # 8 - Craig

WAR AGAINST CRIME # 6 - Craig

MOON GIRL # 4 - Moldoff

A MOON, A GIRL . . . ROMANCE # 10 - Feldstein

MODERN LOVE # 5 - Feldstein

VAULT OF HORROR # 33 - Craig

TALES FROM THE CRYPT # 23 - Feldstein

HAUNT OF FEAR # 12 - Ingels

WEIRD SCIENCE # 20 - Wood

WEIRD FANTASY # 14 (1952 version) - Feldstein

WEIRD SCIENCE-FANTASY # 29 - Frazetta

INCREDIBLE SCIENCE-FICTION # 33 - Wood

TWO-FISTED TALES # 28 - Kurtzman

FRONTLINE COMBAT # 5 - Kurtzman

CRIME SUSPENSTORIES # 23 - Evans

SHOCK SUSPENSTORIES # 4 - Wood

MAD # 7 - Kurtzman

PANIC # 2 - Feldstein

PIRACY # 3 - Crandall

IMPACT # 1 - Davis

VALOR # 2 - Williamson

ACES HIGH # 2 - Evans

EXTRA # 3 - Craig

PSYCHOANALYSIS # 3 - Kamen

MD # 1 - Craig

SHOCK ILLUSTRATED # 1 - Kamen

CRIME ILLUSTRATED # 1 - Orlando

TERROR ILLUSTRATED # 1 - Crandall

CONFESSIONS ILLUSTRATED # 2 - Nappi

A lot of these cover illustrations might not rate too highly with others, but most have emotional impact for me - going back to the time I first became aware of EC, during the late 1970s. For example, Craig's cover to VAULT OF HORROR # 33 is dwarfed by its more famous brothers (such as the # 32 cover), but to me, I have fond memories of that cover singing out to me amidst an array of EC comics displayed on a dealer's wall space, back in 1978 - and I'm delighted to (now) own the original art for it.

Same goes for things like the CRIME PATROL and WAR AGAINST CRIME cover examples I cite. In essence, those books were about Gangsters, Murderers (and other assorted scum!), so I'm less inclined to opt for the later covers which leaned towards Horror (even if the originals for those covers would be worth significantly more).

Similarly, whilst I recognize that the Williamson and Frazetta cover to WEIRD FANTASY # 21 would be worth a lot of money, it's the Feldstein cover to # 14, with its astronauts repairing their spaceship that does it for me!

So what are your favourites . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif