• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Are Your Top Five Favourite Artists(Any And All Eras)?
1 1

113 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Bird said:

I am surprised at a few of the choices. No judgement, just surprised. No names though. Like I have criticized Eisner as not having a seminal work but I get his name being on many many lists. He was a giant and he had IT. To me there needs to be a WOW factor...it can be story related (Perez Crisis cover) or the WOW can be in the artistry itself. But I myself have never been WOW'ed by some of the names mentioned. You can be WOW'ed by technique such as simplicity of form as some of the artists named do so well but it isn't the only thing they do so well, so I get those even if they are not my pick. But some of the names seem more...sentimental, perhaps...than based on merit. (I said SEEM, I can't know for sure.)

I do like looking at people's picks and seeing if they are all in the same "vein" or if they vary widely. Some you can see what the person like (okay, this person likes realism...this person likes cartoony forms, this one likes abstraction and pushed anatomy...here's someone with varied likes, etc.)

How about an example of what "WOWS" you.I understand your statement but curious.Some of Kirby's full page cosmic scenes had that WOW factor and a few by Starlin come to mind but even a WOW shot may not be by one of my favorites.

3 hours ago, Toz said:

How about an example of what "WOWS" you.I understand your statement but curious.Some of Kirby's full page cosmic scenes had that WOW factor and a few by Starlin come to mind but even a WOW shot may not be by one of my favorites.

I get you.

Krigstein wowed me; more than once, but he doesn't make my list due to his small output.

Edited by KirbyJack

7 hours ago, KickHimPedro said:

Am I the first to say Frank Quitely?

Also

Jim Lee

John Byrne

Bryan Hitch

Todd Macfarlane (I’ll never get tired of his ASM covers)

Pretty sure you are, yeah. 

4 hours ago, Toz said:

Almost any Wrightson or Dave Stevens. Brushwork like that makes me go WOW. 

92Y3RbVjK0oQGIV0pCe5BwNPuIVfYVIeVCWCMnds

Moebius makes me go WOW.

SS4 makes me go WOW! WOWWYWOWWOW!

background.jpg

I have tried to have artists duplicate this but they cannot get the power in the figures. The WOW often is missing.

Hitch isn't on my list, but the foldout of destruction in Ultimates, so I get him being on some lists..

CerebusChurchAndStateVolumeOneCollection

Sim & Gerhard often WOWed me. 

Not that these images are the ones that WOWed me, just examples off the interwebs.

I am explicitly trying NOT to mention any that have never WOWed me. 

Maybe Scott Pilgrim WOWed you with a great moment. It doesn't have to be graphics alone.

4 hours ago, Toz said:

I think I am coming from the opposite angle, that I have NEVER been wowed by some of the people's work mentioned. So I don't get what drives the love for their work if a fill in artist could have elicited the same general storytelling. No one WOWs every time of course.

7 hours ago, Bird said:

I think I am coming from the opposite angle, that I have NEVER been wowed by some of the people's work mentioned. So I don't get what drives the love for their work if a fill in artist could have elicited the same general storytelling. No one WOWs every time of course.

I see where you are coming from & couldn't agree more.No one does WOW every time.As I have gotten older I haver come to appreciate artist like Charles Vess & Mike Kaluta more than I did when they were in their hayday.I guess I just like their style.

Strenko had some WOW moments but I don't actively collect him.

On 7/14/2021 at 8:54 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Am I the first to say Frank Quitely?

If he didn't have a tendency to draw characters with duck lips and look like they might be constipated, more people might list him as a favorite 

5454104-new-x-men-book-1-digest-cover-re

Granted, he doesn't do it all the time but it's enough to be more than noticeable.

Edited by Jeffro.

You've misquoted me @Jeffro.. I never listed Quitely. That was KickHimPedro. (shrug)