• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do???

8 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I was recently asked if I wanted to buy out some back issues from the late 80's - early 90's. Someone I know with a store has about 50+ boxes. I went through them and saw some decent stuff...

What I am wondering is:

What books from that time are ones to look for?

He has every publisher with almost every title! I don't have to buy the lot and I'm not looking to flip for large profit. I am thinking of buying a few thousand to populate my store on eBay with current stuff... maybe throw it into a .50 cent bin!

I have been out of the game for a lot of years and that was the period I missed out on...

Help would be welcomed!!!

Thanks for reading thumbsup2.gif

JG

I'll send you some information on the better modern comics to buy (interest that I've seen locally and abroad). Also, take a look at my want list. I have a ton of moderns that I need on there. If you can find those in the condition I've specified, we could work some deal out. I have another seller in Rhode Island that does a similar deal for me.

Thanks

Pat

I'll send you some information on the better modern comics to buy (interest that I've seen locally and abroad). Also, take a look at my want list. I have a ton of moderns that I need on there. If you can find those in the condition I've specified, we could work some deal out. I have another seller in Rhode Island that does a similar deal for me.

Thanks

Pat

Sounds great! I'll be back there on Monday and would love to have a list of "hotties" wink.gif

I'll let you know if I can scoop any on your want list...

Thanks thumbsup2.gif

JG

As you probably know, most of the stuff from the 80's and 90's are overproduced. So, I wouldn't recommend too many of the major publishers (DC & Marvel). The independent issues are really where it is at.

As far as major publishers, Amazing Spider-man is an obvious and definite hit. This was around the time of MacFarlane. I wouldn't worry too much after his stuff (but Larsen's is not bad either). Anything before MacFarlane is worth grabbing too. So, that's pretty much Amazing Spider-man 325 and down.

Some of the Uncanny X-men stuff would sell well (though hit & miss). I'd imagine that Jim Lee's run (and the stuff prior) would be a good seller too. Lee just did a Batman run that made him popular again. Pretty much Uncanny X-men 275 and down.

The Wolverine Frank Miller Mini-Series is a definite plus (only 4 issues).

The second volume of Swamp Thing with issues by Moore would be a good pick up. He did issues #20 through #65.

Anything by Frank Miller is pretty much golden. The Sin City stuff found in Dark Horse Presents is good. That's like DHP #52 to 62. Miller did a mini-series for DC called Ronin. That's probably good too. Even the early Sin City titled books are really popular due to the movie.

Any of the popular Batman mini-series stuff is good. The Killing Joke is huge. Dark Knight is a four issue mini that would sell great. Batman 404 through 407 inspired the new movie and are good.

Any Hellboy early appearances are great. His first appearance (I think in color) is Next Men #21. Mignola, in general, has become popular. I know he did some random Batman covers in the main series too.

There was a book called Albedo. It's the first appearance of Usagi Yojimbo. That one is going for a few hundred right now (#2 specifically).

I'd really stay away from Image. Those books are SUPER overproduced in the early years and nothing has really come out of the woodwork yet.

I here that very early Valiants are making some big bucks again. I don't have as much direction in that avenue as I'm not a big Valiant fan. I think there is another user on this site that can tell you exactly what's worth the $$$$.

Crisis on Infinite Earths was the 12 parter in the 80's. It would be a great book to sell now with the Identity Crisis spanning the whole DC universe right now. I wouldn't hang on to them for too long. After the Identity Crisis wraps up early next year, I bet they'll fall.

Cry for Dawn by Joe Linsner would be a great one to pick up in good shape. Cult like followings make his books sell well.

Some of the very early Vertigo books would be worth it. Books like early Sandman, Hellblazer, Preacher, and so on.

Miracleman has picked up a lot of steam the last couple years. Both Gaimen and Moore's runs are worth getting (whole run).

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, most specifically, the very early issues, are very expensive. Similar to the Albedo issue mentioned above.

Oddly, the last 5 to 10 issues of Transformers, G.I. Joe, and Star Wars had very low print runs. They go for a lot more money than even the first few issues.

V for Vendetta is the new movie by Portman and was written by Moore in the 80's for DC. It will definitely jump in value as it approaches in the theatre. Additionally, Watchmen is a good one. Kind of overproduced though. If you can get them cheap and good condition, someone will buy them.

Hope this helps. If you need specifics, drop me an e-mail.

Pat

just remember, it will take a LONG time to unload this stuff unless you plan on selling it off by the long box.

50 boxes of bagged and boarded comics is about 225-250 comics a box, so about 11,000 - 12,500 comics.

Listing thousands of comics individually is a monumentally tedious task when most are 50 cents a pop.

You need to ask yourself how much of this is going to be worthless.

5,000 comics in an ebay store will cost $100/mo + $15.95 monthly rent.

If a 50 cent comic sits in your store for a year that costs you 24 cents.

Your profit is going up in smoke!

Buy them all -- no more than $2000 -- pick out the 3-4 boxes of better books that you want for your ebay store and then hit a couple shows with the remainder -@ $1 for a couple shows then .50 for another show or two - then sell the remaining boxes off in another deal to someone else -- done that multiple times never failed for me -- should at least double your money and have the better books you pulled out --

"ALL" great advice/info...

Thanks for helping out hail.gif

I will more than likely grab them all and let you know what happens thumbsup2.gif

Stay tuned!

JG

PS: First dibs to the board members before I do anything with them takeit.gif