• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does CGC really give priority by tiers? Doesn't look that way to me.
2 2

235 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, wiparker824 said:

What are you all talking about? Economy isn’t a higher tier than Modern. It’s very simple, say I have a New Mutants 98 Id like to send in. Can I pay more to send it on the “higher” tier of economy? No I can’t because it came out after 1975. If you want Economy to be treated as a higher tier you have to allow it to handle all books regardless of the age. Otherwise it’s not a “higher” tier than Modern it is just a completely different category of books.

I'd like to dispute the statement I bolded above. Are you saying that if you send in an ASM #300 that you expect will grade a 9.8, CGC will still only charge you $22 to grade it? The FMV of ASM #300 9.8 is $6,000+. You can submit as a modern, but you better expect that CGC will bump it up to a far higher tier.

And what happens if you ASM #300 9.8 if it is damaged? If you supposition is correct, CGC will only pay you $400 for a $6,000+ book. Is that what you really want?

6 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

If 10 people submit for Modern and 25 people submit for Economy, how would you expect them to have the same TAT...? :facepalm:

Based on what I see on Ebay, I might suggest that more Moderns are being submitted than Economy.

41 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I love the city. The people not so much. Big City, Small people. 
winters have gotten harder as I’ve gotten older. 

For some reason I think you are always like 28, and  dont know why lol 

4 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

I don't see how a submission moratorium solves anything.  Unless they staff dramatically up, they'll just face a tsunami of submissions after the moratorium ends and their customers will be pissed for the three month period that they could not submit, likely choosing alternatives if they are desperate to submit.  The only solution is to dramatically staff up, and at least if they keep taking submissions they get a sense of how much staff they really need.

Your point was previously made in my original post.

2) Put a 3-month moratorium on new submissions. If there are so many submissions that it takes CGC almost a month just to open your box, then I find it hard to believe that CGC's income would crater during this moratorium. Granted, people will complain about this moratorium, but they are currently complaining about TATs. It sounds like it would be six of one, half a dozen of the other. On the other hand, there would be another huge crush when the moratorium was lifted.

15 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

I'd like to dispute the statement I bolded above. Are you saying that if you send in an ASM #300 that you expect will grade a 9.8, CGC will still only charge you $22 to grade it? The FMV of ASM #300 9.8 is $6,000+. You can submit as a modern, but you better expect that CGC will bump it up to a far higher tier.

And what happens if you ASM #300 9.8 if it is damaged? If you supposition is correct, CGC will only pay you $400 for a $6,000+ book. Is that what you really want?

This is quite confusing. I didn’t say anything about a ASM 300 or a 9.8. Yet you’re quoting me… 

But that’s a great distinction,  the value of the comic supersedes it’s published date.  I wondered about how you’d submit a modern book that’s worth 5K.  It would have to be Walkthrough, if only to protect yourself if damage caused you to seek a settlement. Submitting the value of 400 means CGC can settle for 400 tops 

1 minute ago, wiparker824 said:

This is quite confusing. I didn’t say anything about a ASM 300 or a 9.8. Yet you’re quoting me… 

OK. Bad Example.

Let's say you have a New Mutants #98. If you expect the grade to be CGC 9.0 or higher, the FMV of the book will be over $400. According to CGC, it should be submitted at a higher tier. For example, if you expect your NM #98 to grade at CGC 9.8, its current FMV is $1,990+. There is NO way that CGC will grade that book for $22. They will bump it up to at least Standard, if not Express.

Here are your exact words: Can I pay more to send it on the “higher” tier of economy? No I can’t because it came out after 1975.

And I am saying that you certainly can (and should) send a high-value modern book in a higher tier than Modern. When I sent my ASM #300 in, I submitted it in the Standard tier, because, at that time, its FMV was close to $1,000.

17 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:
9 hours ago, wiparker824 said:

What are you all talking about? Economy isn’t a higher tier than Modern. It’s very simple, say I have a New Mutants 98 Id like to send in. Can I pay more to send it on the “higher” tier of economy? No I can’t because it came out after 1975. If you want Economy to be treated as a higher tier you have to allow it to handle all books regardless of the age. Otherwise it’s not a “higher” tier than Modern it is just a completely different category of books.

Books like NM98 and ASM300 aren't likely eligible for either. They would need to be submitted under one of the actual higher tiers.

The point was that you can't submit even a junky New Mutants 98 under Economy, even if you're dumb enough that you would want to.

Just now, Math Teacher said:

OK. Bad Example.

Let's say you have a New Mutants #98. If you expect the grade to be CGC 9.0 or higher, the FMV of the book will be over $400. According to CGC, it should be submitted at a higher tier. For example, if you expect your NM #98 to grade at CGC 9.8, its current FMV is $1,990+. There is NO way that CGC will grade that book for $22. They will bump it up to at least Standard, if not Express.

Here are your exact words: Can I pay more to send it on the “higher” tier of economy? No I can’t because it came out after 1975.

And I am saying that you certainly can (and should) send a high-value modern book in a higher tier than Modern. When I sent my ASM #300 in, I submitted it in the Standard tier, because, at that time, its FMV was close to $1,000.

Well, that’s not the point I was making at all. But in any case no that’s not how it works. You should never assume a graded value when you send in a book, the value you declare is used for replacement value if something happens to the book. You can buy a NM copy of New Mutants 98 for around $400 right now, so if you send it in, mark it as $400 value and CGC accidentally puts in their shredder you can get a check from them for $400 and buy a replacement copy of your book. 

28 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

The point was that you can't submit even a junky New Mutants 98 under Economy, even if you're dumb enough that you would want to.

You can submit a NM 98 under economy if you want.  

31 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

A swing and a miss!

Indeed, your intended point with this thread is, "A swing and a miss!".  To be clear and restate yet again: Economy is not, and has never been, considered a "higher" tier. Your efforts to get your older books graded more quickly under economy has failed, and will continue to fail. You will wait while moderns fly by, and CGC will not refund you. It is.

Edited by Fisionbomb
Yup

2 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

CGC should open up offices in different parts of the country/world

One central location doesn't make a lot of business sense

If they do that let's send in the same set of books to multiple locations to see who has the softest grades and then send in all future submissions to that location.  Then we don't tell anyone and it's ka-ching time $$$$ !!!!!

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

Books like NM98 and ASM300 aren't likely eligible for either. They would need to be submitted under one of the actual higher tiers.