• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does CGC really give priority by tiers? Doesn't look that way to me.
2 2

235 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, sfcityduck said:

Care to explain what you are saying "no" to?  

The two questions and the first statement. Also the idea that the difference between Economy and Modern is a "problem" that we need be concerned about. If CGC didn't have other, much larger, problems then in that alternate reality I may agree with you.

10 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

The two questions and the first statement. Also the idea that the difference between Economy and Modern is a "problem" that we need be concerned about. If CGC didn't have other, much larger, problems then in that alternate reality I may agree with you.

So you agree Standard is a higher tier.  And you agree that we don't mark Standard on the boxes.  So, therefore, you agree that marking a tier on a box is not the test it is a higher tier.  Thanks for the agreements.

But you disagree the massive difference between the TATs for Economy and Modern are a problem.  This is why you are wrong:  The difference renders statements made about CGC regarding TATs false.  That causes frustration for Economy and Standard tier submitters, which is bad for CGC's business.  If you think it is not a problem for a business to make inaccurate statements and alienate customers, we will have to agree to disagree.

I have no idea what CGC's "other, much larger, problems" might be.  Nothing is a larger problem for a business than customer relations.  (Adding new lines of business is not a problem, it is an opportunity, unless it impacts existing customers.)  If you want to elaborate on what the "other, much larger, problems" are, feel free.

Edited by sfcityduck

2 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

So you agree Standard is a higher tier.  And you agree that we don't mark Standard on the boxes.  So, therefore, you agree that marking a tier on a box is not the test it is a higher tier.  Thanks for the agreements.

But you disagree the massive difference between the TATs for Economy and Modern are a problem.  This is why you are wrong:  The difference renders statements made about CGC regarding TATs false.  That causes frustration for Economy and Standard tier submitters, which is bad for CGC's business.  If you think it is not a problem for a business to make inaccurate statements and alienate customers, we will have to agree to disagree.

I have no idea what CGC's "other, much larger, problems" might be.  Nothing is a larger problem for a business than customer relations.  (Adding new lines of business is not a problem, it is an opportunity, unless it impacts existing customers.)  If you want to elaborate on what the "other, much larger, problems" are, feel free.

Um, no.

17 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

What I collect is awesome

what you collect is garbage 

"What I collect makes sense, what you collect is garbage."

Fixed that for you. :tink:

14 hours ago, reptilekingdie said:

Or move your business to CBCS. Steve Borock period! 

CBCS is like getting a divorced.  Where is the line to loose half your stuff? (but in their case $)

7 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:
14 hours ago, reptilekingdie said:

Or move your business to CBCS. Steve Borock period! 

CBCS is like getting a divorced.  Where is the line to loose half your stuff? (but in their case $)

Yeah, this   ....... :flipbait:...... is a big consideration that many (seems that way to me) CBCS fans (many of whom are also rabid CGC haters) fail to consider. Personally, I don't care what company anyone uses  and for whatever reasons but it seems pretty clear that CGC slabs, in general, realize a higher return. That's not important to some but for those that it is, you simply can't say "submit to CBCS instead." That won't work for them.

Edited by Jeffro.

4 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Begging the question:  Why is CGC charging a higher price for lesser service?  As I said before, that is messed up.  Especially since the higher price implies a higher tier (as did the higher Value limit prior to April 21, 2021 which was after the date of submission for books still at CGC).  

#1 Reason for higher economy pricing because they can.

#2 Reason for slow TaT for economy vs faster TaT for Moderns, they have more modern graders than vintage.  Common Knowledge

#3 Reason for slower vintage economy grading is moderns are usually faster and easier

#4 :news: People submit moderns in the non-modern tiers :idea: 

#5 I am more concerned with the TaT on Californias homeless than my books right now.  LA and SF have turned in 3rd world trash

Here is how you can resolve your problems.....

Go submit elsewhere, stop submitting, or spend a couple million dollars and open up your own grading company and show them how it is done.  

Edited by NewWorldOrder

Just now, jsilverjanet said:

i guess we can say cbcs but not since both are the same 

is this considered masking @moderation?

Edited by jsilverjanet

4 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I mean, the average time that it takes to grade Silver Age and earlier is not a matter of opinion. "Harder" is the wrong term. Time is money, and if on average more time is taken to examine a comic book printed prior to 1975, then what conclusion can we come to?

No Harder is correct the term.  

19 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

Put a 3-month moratorium on new submissions. If there are so many submissions that it takes CGC almost a month just to open your box

I know this wasn’t your point, but it’s at  9+ weeks. 

18 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

#2 Reason for slow TaT for economy vs faster TaT for Moderns, they have more modern graders than vintage.  Common Knowledge

Which is why the solution is easy.  Shift graders from Moderns to Economy or allocate the newly hired graders to Economy until the TATs even out.  The short term problem is evening out the TATS as, on the longer term, CGC staff up to meet demand.

Like any concerned customer of a company I like, I am interested in helping CGC improve, not in abandoning it.  If I was so extremely pissed off by what I viewed as misleading business practices that I reached the point of wanting to leave CGC, I would not just leave CGC, I'd sue it.  I'm nowhere near that point.  CGC has fixable problems and I think Matt, with Blackrock's support and "encouragement," will do so.

The notion that it is the status quo or hit the highway is a childish view that no smart business would ever take.  Blackrock will understand that the key to their investment is increasing customers, not turning them away due to easily solvable problems.  CGC's single biggest problem right now is TATs, and the only solution is to get more graders and allocate those graders appropriately, making the supply equal the demand.  That's how you get a sustainable business that satisfies its customers.  If too many graders are allocated to moderns, not a hard solution to shift some to Economy to lower the Economy TAT so it balances out and conforms practices to your representations to the customer base.

The notion it is "disloyal" to say anything critical of CGC is a fan-boy mentality left over from the "Make Mine Marvel (only)" days.  I'd hope we'd all be mature enough to have outgrown that faulty thinking and instead think like people who care about the hobby and its central businesses such as CGC.  

30 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

#5 I am more concerned with the TaT on Californias homeless than my books right now.  LA and SF have turned in 3rd world trash

Take it to a political board.  

11 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Which is why the solution is easy.  Shift graders from Moderns to Economy or allocate the newly hired graders to Economy until the TATs even out.  The short term problem is evening out the TATS as, on the longer term, CGC staff up to meet demand.

Like any concerned customer of a company I like, I am interested in helping CGC improve, not in abandoning it.  If I was so extremely pissed off by what I viewed as misleading business practices that I reached the point of wanting to leave CGC, I would not just leave CGC, I'd sue it.  I'm nowhere near that point.  CGC has fixable problems and I think Matt, with Blackrock's support and "encouragement," will do so.

The notion that it is the status quo or hit the highway is a childish view that no smart business would ever take.  Blackrock will understand that the key to their investment is increasing customers, not turning them away due to easily solvable problems.  CGC's single biggest problem right now is TATs, and the only solution is to get more graders and allocate those graders appropriately, making the supply equal the demand.  That's how you get a sustainable business that satisfies its customers.  If too many graders are allocated to moderns, not a hard solution to shift some to Economy to lower the Economy TAT so it balances out and conforms practices to your representations to the customer base.

The notion it is "disloyal" to say anything critical of CGC is a fan-boy mentality left over from the "Make Mine Marvel (only)" days.  I'd hope we'd all be mature enough to have outgrown that faulty thinking and instead think like people who care about the hobby and its central businesses such as CGC.  

It's not that easy.

Easier to hire modern graders than vintage.

Vintage is much harder and ones that are qualified make 100k-1 million a year submitting to CGC.  So its tough to just hire in the vintage tier.  Cross training is harder than it looks as well.

Also its is very short list of people who can grade all comics in general.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

25 minutes ago, Msgarmar said:

I know this wasn’t your point, but it’s at  9+ weeks. 

I don't see how a submission moratorium solves anything.  Unless they staff dramatically up, they'll just face a tsunami of submissions after the moratorium ends and their customers will be pissed for the three month period that they could not submit, likely choosing alternatives if they are desperate to submit.  The only solution is to dramatically staff up, and at least if they keep taking submissions they get a sense of how much staff they really need.

1 minute ago, NewWorldOrder said:

It's not that easy.

Easier to hire modern graders than vintage.

Vintage is much harder and ones that are qualified make 100k-1 million a year submitting to CGC.  So its tough to just hire in the vintage tier.  Cross training is harder than it looks as well.

Blackrock will laugh at that excuse.  They will say that employees can always be trained.  And they would be right.  CGC is going to have to train up staff to conform to its standards.