• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Are Your Top Five Favourite WRITERS (Any And All Eras)?
1 1

45 posts in this topic

My Completely Subjective Top 20, Bubble Sorted
Criterion: If I had to read a trade from the writer, chosen at random, who would I choose.

1. Dave Sim
2. Marv Wolfman
3. Bill Mantlo
4. Grant Morrison
5. Cary Bates
6. Mike Grell
7. Alan Moore
8. Stan & Jack
9. Paul Levitz
10. Peter Milligan
11. Chris Claremont
12. Howard Chaykin
13. Frank Miller
14. Gerry Conway
15. BiIl Willingham
16. Otto Binder
17. Gardner Fox
18. Neil Gaiman
19. Don Rosa
20. Roy Thomas

Edited by adampasz

16 hours ago, catman76 said:

I couldn't care less about people that are just writers for comics and draw nothing so mine are artists who write their own work...

Kim Deitch

Robert Crumb

Chris Ware

and the last two aren't "comic book" artist/writers, but oh well...

Gary Larson

Kaz

Yeah, I have a tough time stacking up writer/artists against pure writers. It often seems like they are working in a different mediums. The writer/artist's work usually feels more visceral and immersive.
In addition to your list, here are a few other great writer/artists that didn't make my top 20 for whatever reason: Hergé, Terry Moore, Charles Schulz, Alex Raymond, Jaime Hernandez

4 hours ago, Bird said:

no love for Bendis? I considered him, for those do-it-all creator fans his early stuff that he draws & writes is wonderful.

I think his dialogue writing was/is groundbreaking. But I've never found his super-hero stories to be compelling.  Seems like his wheelhouse was crime fiction, and his best comics are the ones firmly in that genre (Powers, Alias, DD, etc.).

Al Feldstein

Jonathan Hickman 

Chris Claremont (with or without John Byrne, who’s written some great stuff by himself, of course)

Grant Morrison

Mark Waid

(just 5 is insufficient)

7 hours ago, Bird said:

no love for Bendis? I considered him, for those do-it-all creator fans his early stuff that he draws & writes is wonderful. 

I like his earlier indie crime comics, Powers, Ultimate Spider-Man, Daredevil, but after a while I began to feel that his decompression technique was becoming a bit too synonymous with ‘blatant padding out’.

Perhaps I just needed a break, as I thought his Miles Morales stories the following decade were consistently good.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 minute ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

No love for Byrne’s FF run?

Blasphemy

I decided to cover him by sneaking him in with a vote for Chris Claremont.

I like to play by rules but the guy who posted 20 had the right idea...it is so hard to stick with 5! Much harder than with artists I think/agree.

Matt Wagner anyone?

no Crumb on either list? Is that right?

Kyle Baker does slice of life as well as anyone and draws the heck out of it as well.

writers can craft a few comics and forever remain in our minds, and when we read for decades there are so many who were memorable

Gerber. Weezy. McGregor.

MacDuffie.

PRIEST! My gosh can Christopher Priest write some fine comics! And he had to drive a fuggin bus in New Brunswick NJ to get by!

anyway, gotta go eat.

4 minutes ago, Bird said:

Matt Wagner anyone?

Kyle Baker does slice of life as well as anyone and draws the heck out of it as well.

Great choices.

I predict we will NOT see the following name: Howard Mackie. He's dreadful. Absolutely miserable 'writer' that ruined so many books on the 90's. 

3 minutes ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I predict we will NOT see the following name: Howard Mackie. He's dreadful. Absolutely miserable 'writer' that ruined so many books on the 90's. 

Or Chuck Austen.

1 minute ago, Ken Aldred said:

Or Chuck Austen.

Mr 'Let's have Husk and Archangel have sex in front of the X-Men and Husk's mother. 

Mr ' the villain can't come to Earth you see, so his villainous plan is that he's been coming to Earth and impregnating women to bear him offspring and then they'll be able to' see the problem already, cos he didn't? 

Mr 'Let's just assume how Catholicism works for my pivotal story and hope I get the details right. Whoops I didn't. Oh well, no one will notice, right?'. 

Yeah, he didn't try too hard. 

No love here for Don McGregor? Back in the '70s, he was the writiest writer who ever wrote. He probably put too much effort in so didn't do as many titles as the others, but his Panther and War of the Worlds were great.

Hard to go without nominating Stan.

Jim Starlin

Steve Gerber

Bud Lewis.