• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, what have you heard over the years?

61 posts in this topic

moderns-decline as high grade copies increase

bronze-price will increase but will eventually stabilize at a lower price than what many are sold for today

silver-I think many will decline while the real key issues will remain strong

just my 2 cents, which, btw, ive already blown on my nice cold beer im drinking right now, so take it for what its worth.

I think many comics coming out now are good reads. Marvel and DC are gonna have to come up with something though to get kids reading them again or, as delekkerstate and joe say, we will see a bunch of fossils or investors being the only ones interested in books. And considering the few books out there worth investing in (liquidity), it will be tough in the next decades.

>>do you think 20? I always thought 25 (assuming your personal Golden Age was when you were 12). Maybe it is 20, that would explain all this 80s nostalgia.

20 years is the start-point and 25 years is usually the apex. CGC speculation has put this temporarily out of whack, but that's the true-collector/raw theory.

Anyone stating otherwise is a simpleton, and not a person I would look to for advice.

My GAWD you STILL don't get it, do you? Take you butt out of your wallet and your head out of your butt and actually UNDERDSTAND what is being ASKED here.

And Architect - I will not protest a strike for this post.

Thanks for the clarification POV, but rest assured that my reading comprehension is top-notch and it's actually you that is missing the blatant subtext.

If you need help understanding the nuances of the English language, you have but to ask.

Joe, fair statement.

I was recalling a conversation that took place years ago and it could have easily been something along the lines of "bronze age will never be worth a lot" or even "bronze age will never be worth a lot more than it is now" - something along those lines. I felt it was an interesting comment, 'cause it seems to me that Bronze age comics have definitley surpassed most everyone's expectations.

And it's interesting to know that not everyone was fooled. What this particular dealer was pushing at the time was Silver Age. He truly believed that the potential for gains was in that era and only in that era. Now, I'm not sure if he said it because he believed it, or if he said it to push Silver Age. But all I know is he said it. Funny thing is I ran into this individual about 3 years ago, before I stumbled onto that huge Silver/Bronze Age collection ' cause he wanted to look at my collection. (Which was a first - a dealer interested in what I've got?) At the time it was mostly one of those 80's/90's collections so common todaywith just a bit of Bronze Age stuff. And he told me that ya' see, ya' shoulda bought Silver Age. At the time, I knew what I had and he didn't come across with an" I told ya' so" attitude.

Now don't go off into another one of your tangents ok? (I'm getting a bit nervous everytime I respond to one of your posts.) grin.gif

rest assured that my reading comprehension is top-notch

I am sure it is. Wjat I am most unsure about is how you apply what you COMPREHEND with how you ultimately elect to pose your posts. And your posts almost always seem slanted one way - to a cold, uninspired, MBA, Get No Joy Out Of Comics Or Their History way. And it sucks.

He was definitely making more money on selling Silver Age and the guy is still in business. I never listened to his suggestion, mostly because at the time I just couldn't afford the high prices Silver Age was selling for at the time. That was about 20 years ago. Strangely enough, NOW I can afford them.

Umm, I've heard about this 20 year rule. Does it still work today? Just looking for an opinion. That would meant the 80's stuff is ready to explode, right? confused.gif

Instead of giving me a direct answer, tell me what you've heard.

After all, that' what this thread is all about, right? grin.gif

Here's a great analogy:

Hey Guys, I just wondered what you'd heard lately. Here's some of of the things I've heard and I want to hear more:

"CGC Comics are the DEVIL"

"The graded market will crash and burn, taking the foolish investor with it"

"Anyone who invests in CGC comics is a pure simpleton with peas for brains and oatmeal for a backbone"

"Investing in CGC comics is basically a tax on the stupid"

Now you all post yours and let's have some FUN!!

>>Umm, I've heard about this 20 year rule. Does it still work today? Just looking for an opinion. That would meant the 80's stuff is ready to explode, right?

Yep, but only to a degree. The percentage of kids vs. adult comic buys declined in the 80's, and really hit rock-bottom in the 1990's and continues to shrink today.

Basically, I'd be pegging 1986 as the cut-off point for the 20-year rule, which may hold some surprises come 2006. grin.gif

Here's a great analogy

You STILL don;t get it do you? There IS no damned ANALOGY here. It is a simple question polling people about what they have heard. Is the veractity of their comments put into quesiton? NO. Just a simple "What have you heard?"

And I think it is a GOOD question, a FUN question and an INTERESTING question. Look up especially the last two fully uppercase words in this post.

jeeze - THREE typos this time

>>You STILL don;t get it do you? There IS no damnded ANALOGY here. It is a simple question polling people abiout what they ave heard. Is the veractity of their comments put into quesiton? NO. Just a simple "What have you heard?"

Are you honestly saying that forum members would totally ignore the blatant subtext of the "things I heard" comments, and just my obvious agenda slide?

Are you honestly saying that forum members would totally ignore the blatant subtext

Are you honestly saying that after about 70 years of impact on our culture that a SUBTEXT does not have to be read into such a question and that a folklore - especially considering the rapid increases in communication that could LET a true folklore happen over a decade or so - that a folklore could NOT be founded - here and even earlier?

Do you have ANY romance left in your soul or is it all dollars, cents, projections, profits and loss?

Uh Joe, that response to my 20 twenty question was great and appreciated. My previous post was in response to the post you made just before that one. That one wasn't.

So, for the good post, thank you. It was actually quite informative. grin.gif