• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adrian Veidt was wrong
1 1

47 posts in this topic

On 7/17/2021 at 1:12 AM, kav said:

No need for veidt's elaborate plan.  At all. 

Narcissistic psychopathic control freaks love gameplay, on a worldwide scale you’d expect them to enjoy complexity and convolution rather than taking a simple path.

Makes them feel smarter and better and empowered by sowing confusion.

Need, or desperation?

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Who?

Ozymandias.  Watchmen. 

5170968-9728219935-ozyma.jpg

Edited by Ken Aldred

22 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Ozymandias.  Watchmen. 

5170968-9728219935-ozyma.jpg

Never read it. Thought it was an artist or writer or something. 

8 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Narcissistic psychopathic control freaks love gameplay, on a worldwide scale you’d expect them to enjoy complexity and convolution rather than taking a simple path.

Makes them feel smarter and better and empowered by sowing confusion.

Need, or desperation?

(worship)

6 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

WatchmenS1E7-11.thumb.gif.14c6e5859538354ebb28792f465117a2.gif

I feel at this point that Watchmen will not live up to the hype that so many have made it out to be so I am comfortable not making a point to watch it or read it.  If it is something that ever happens naturally then, sure, I guess... but it's not a priority for me to set time aside to do. 

On 7/18/2021 at 1:55 PM, Buzzetta said:

I feel at this point that Watchmen will not live up to the hype that so many have made it out to be so I am comfortable not making a point to watch it or read it.  If it is something that ever happens naturally then, sure, I guess... but it's not a priority for me to set time aside to do. 

Watchmen created an alternate timeline for Earth in 1986 where "recognizable, but not trademarked" superheroes battle an unknown enemy and their own paranoias.  The mastermind behind the bad guys was the mastermind behind the good guys, so it's like Batman was revealed to be the Joker, too.  Ground-breaking at the time, but so many things have copied from Watchmen, there's no way it will live up to the hype.  It's like playing Atari after Playstation.

On 7/19/2021 at 11:11 AM, valiantman said:

Watchmen created an alternate timeline for Earth in 1986 where "recognizable, but not trademarked" superheroes battle an unknown enemy and their own paranoias.  The mastermind behind the bad guys was the mastermind behind the good guys, so it's like Batman was revealed to be the Joker, too.  Ground-breaking at the time, but so many things have copied from Watchmen, there's no way it will live up to the hype.  It's like playing Atari after Playstation.

While I consider Watchmen a masterpiece graphic novel, it's simply overrated by way of even saying that. How many times can you be told the same thing before your expectations grow too high? Comic books can only impress in so many ways.

I think that the Atari/PS analogy doesn't really hit the nose quite square. More like listening to Stairway to Heaven after hearing Metropolis Part 1.

On 7/19/2021 at 10:20 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I think that the Atari/PS analogy doesn't really hit the nose quite square. More like listening to Stairway to Heaven after hearing Metropolis Part 1.

I was specifically matching the years.  Atari = Watchmen = 1986 (Copper Age), Playstation = Comics Since Watchmen = 1994 to present

On 7/19/2021 at 4:20 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

While I consider Watchmen a masterpiece graphic novel, it's simply overrated by way of even saying that. How many times can you be told the same thing before your expectations grow too high? Comic books can only impress in so many ways.

At the time I thought it was brilliant, but I’ve got older and much more critical and the final act, well, the space squid, doesn’t hold up for me, especially not as a way of keeping the world united in the long term against a common, persistent threat.

I was immediately impressed by the Dream Theater vs Led Zeppelin comparison. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

All I can say is reading watchmen as it came out, waiting for each issue and discussing with my dad theories and what not was an experience unlike any I have ever had before or since in a lifetime of reading comics.  Watchmen got me back into comics just in time for the 80s indy boom.

On 7/19/2021 at 6:54 PM, kav said:

All I can say is reading watchmen as it came out, waiting for each issue and discussing with my dad theories and what not was an experience unlike any I have ever had before or since in a lifetime of reading comics.  Watchmen got me back into comics just in time for the 80s indy boom.

I read it as the graphic novel. Blew me away at the time, but, as said, certain aspects of it don’t hold up well for me now.  Totally convinced that the change they made in the film, at the end of it, by losing the squid, worked far better than Veidt’s original strategy.

Similar limitation in that without the periodic reappearance of Dr Manhattan and further associated destruction, the mutual, instinctive huddling together for protection by humanity as a whole against a classic shared, Jungian, primal fear threat would dissipate and not stand the test of time.  I wasn’t quite as much into this kind of stuff as a kid or twenty something.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 7/19/2021 at 11:06 AM, Ken Aldred said:

I read it as the graphic novel. Blew me away at the time, but, as said, certain aspects of it don’t hold up well for me now.  Totally convinced that the change they made in the film, at the end of it, by losing the squid, worked far better than Veidt’s original strategy.

Similar limitation in that without the periodic reappearance of Dr Manhattan and further associated destruction, the mutual, instinctive huddling together for protection by humanity as a whole against a classic shared, Jungian, primal fear threat would dissipate and not stand the test of time.  I wasn’t quite as much into this kind of stuff as a kid or twenty something.

I think alan moore would not have done the movie ending because there is nothing humanity could have done to protect them from Dr Manhattan and they wouldnt have come together for a common threat like a giant squidy.

On 7/19/2021 at 11:31 AM, Ken Aldred said:

At the time I thought it was brilliant, but I’ve got older and much more critical and the final act, well, the space squid, doesn’t hold up for me, especially not as a way of keeping the world united in the long term against a common, persistent threat.

Yes, if we've learned anything since 1986, it's that common persistent threats - space squids, Skynet, pandemics, climate emergencies, zombie hordes, pruning the sacred timeline, whatever - don't appear to be quite as unifying as we once thought they would be.

On 7/19/2021 at 8:03 PM, Brock said:

Yes, if we've learned anything since 1986, it's that common persistent threats - space squids, Skynet, pandemics, climate emergencies, zombie hordes, pruning the sacred timeline, whatever - don't appear to be quite as unifying as we once thought they would be.

I was avoiding mentioning one of those, as it’s now banned here, as an extension of the argument.  You’ve seen both the best and worst of people there, unfortunately.  The space squid or Dr Manhattan’s one-off devastation wouldn’t be enough, which is a sad observation and emphasises the difficulty and scale required for unification, far beyond what Moore or Snyder tried to claim.

On 7/19/2021 at 12:31 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I was avoiding mentioning one of those, as it’s now banned here, as an extension of the argument.  You’ve seen both the best and worst of people there, unfortunately.  The space squid or Dr Manhattan’s one-off devastation wouldn’t be enough, which is a sad observation and emphasises the difficulty and scale required for unification, far beyond what Moore or Snyder tried to claim.

I am certain mankind would unify under some extraterrestrial threat, space squid or other.