• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A couple of newbie questions for submitting to CGC for first time..

16 posts in this topic

So I've finally decided to start the process of submitting to CGC first time. 

First questions although seem obvious I guess it can't help but to ask to be sure. 

1. Modern tier 1975 to present, the max vaule is $400. Is that max value of what you think is the raw book that you are submitting?

2. Each book will be boarded and bag. Here's the dumb question. Does it get slab up with the comic inside the bag with the board? lol

Edited by rpgdreamers

2. No

15 minutes ago, rpgdreamers said:

First questions although seem obvious I guess it can't help but to ask to be sure. 

1. Modern tier 1975 to present, the max vaule is $400. Is that max value of what you think is the raw book that you are submitting?

2. Each book will be boarded and bag. Here's the dumb question. Does it get slab up with the comic inside the bag with the board? lol

1. Yes, but more specifically, it is what you want back for the book in case CGC loses it. The value is mainly there for insurance purposes. If you have a 1975-present book that you'd rather get 1000$ for if it were lost, then you have to select another tier.

2.It does not, the comic is removed from the back and board.

thanks for the answer to the first question. 

If CGC remove the comic from the comic bag and board prior to slabbing it. What do they do with the bag and boards? I ask because most of my bags and boards are Mylites2 and Fullback and those aren't cheap..

18 minutes ago, rpgdreamers said:

thanks for the answer to the first question. 

If CGC remove the comic from the comic bag and board prior to slabbing it. What do they do with the bag and boards? I ask because most of my bags and boards are Mylites2 and Fullback and those aren't cheap..

I use regular bags and boards and they never come back, only the slabbed comics.

Ok thanks. that tells me that I have to switch out the bads and boards for the regular bags and boards. Mylites2 and Fullback aren't cheap to be throwing out where I am from. They are hard to get unless you order online.

9 hours ago, rpgdreamers said:

Ok thanks. that tells me that I have to switch out the bads and boards for the regular bags and boards. Mylites2 and Fullback aren't cheap to be throwing out where I am from. They are hard to get unless you order online.

It will protect them during shipping much better though. 

16 hours ago, Heronext said:

1. If the max value of your modern book is more than $400, you cannot submit it in the modern tier.  You must submit under Economy tier or Standard, or Walkthrough...

Actually, you can't submit it under the Economy tier either, as the maximum value of the Economy tier is also $400.

16 hours ago, rpgdreamers said:

Here's the rule of thumb that I follow. I usually have a rough idea of what the grade of the book will be; it may grade a 6.0 when I think it is a 5.0, or vice versa, but I'm rarely more wrong than that. I then use a site such as GoCollect, GPAnalysis, or sold values on Ebay to determine the value of the graded book. Whatever I determine that value to be, that's the value I type into the submission form.

Have I had to pay extra grading fees for some books? Yup! But as someone who has had GCG lose my books, I would rather pay a little extra money, as it's better to be safe than sorry.

This is what <I> do. I'm sure that there will be others that tell you differently.

1 hour ago, Math Teacher said:

Here's the rule of thumb that I follow. I usually have a rough idea of what the grade of the book will be; it may grade a 6.0 when I think it is a 5.0, or vice versa, but I'm rarely more wrong than that. I then use a site such as GoCollect, GPAnalysis, or sold values on Ebay to determine the value of the graded book. Whatever I determine that value to be, that's the value I type into the submission form.

Base on what you wrote, you are submitting to the teir base on what you think the value is for the book after it get's graded not before. Which is why I want to bring this question up. How does CGC decides whether to bump the book to another teir or not? Do they base it on the raw value when I submit it or after the book get graded? 

I know CGC will separate them if the value is different and charge the price of a different teir. 

1 hour ago, rpgdreamers said:

Which is why I want to bring this question up. How does CGC decides whether to bump the book to another tier or not? Do they base it on the raw value when I submit it or after the book get graded? 

I know CGC will separate them if the value is different and charge the price of a different tier. 

I honestly don't know the answer to this question, but I am sure that someone here will be able to answer your question.

6 hours ago, rpgdreamers said:

Base on what you wrote, you are submitting to the teir base on what you think the value is for the book after it get's graded not before. Which is why I want to bring this question up. How does CGC decides whether to bump the book to another teir or not? Do they base it on the raw value when I submit it or after the book get graded? 

I know CGC will separate them if the value is different and charge the price of a different teir. 

I answered it the first time, and it's really the only answer you need:

How much money do you want if CGC loses your book? That's it, there is really nothing else to it. Using that logic, you will understand how everything told to you makes sense.

So for instance, say you have a book that you think is a 9.8, would you be ok with CGC giving you back how much its worth as a 9.0? If yes, then put that amount. If no, then put whatever amount a 9.8 sells for.

Edited by William-James88