• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Surfer Splashes - where are they

31 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Justin Case said:

Wow a splash page with with the Surfer and Mephisto. I spoke to a friend a few years ago who owns the reprints and i think he said half of them dont actually have the surfer on it. How much did you sell it for?  

$6K, but that was over 15 years ago.  I'm thinking this would probably be around 40-50K now? 

2 minutes ago, Ted_L said:

$6K, but that was over 15 years ago.  I'm thinking this would probably be around 40-50K now? 

I’d pay north if that. 
book 4&5 were sold complete and I believe both are in tact. Not sure about the other 16 issues.  
issue 1 is probably the best splash , but I’ve never seen it offered or posted 

8 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

I’d pay north if that. 
book 4&5 were sold complete and I believe both are in tact. Not sure about the other 16 issues.  

There was i thinking Ted might be a bit high on his valuation and then you come along saying you would pay more. Are Surfer splash pages really that expensive?

23 minutes ago, Justin Case said:

There was i thinking Ted might be a bit high on his valuation and then you come along saying you would pay more. Are Surfer splash pages really that expensive?

Regular Buscema pages are fetching 20k+. A great splash is way more imo. 

30 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

RomitaMan had a splash for sell on his site several years ago.  Surfer standing on top of a building that had a perspective view.  It was $20k+ based on my poor memory.

:cry:

4 hours ago, Ted_L said:

I briefly owned this splash from #17 back in 2005, but resold it because I didn't care for the Chic Stone inking.  One of my many regrets :) 

Surfer17_1.jpg

Yeah, Chic Stone on John Buscema was...not good. Total deal breaker for me, but I have stupidly strong opinions on inks in general and inks on John Buscema in particular.

4 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

I’d pay north if that. 

It sold I believe about twenty years ago. Seemed like a lot then but peanuts compared to what it would fetch today. Seems like it was Joe from PIH that was selling it but I’ve bumped my head a lot in the last twenty years.

Ask was $20K ?

Edited by grapeape

Years ago I was at a collector's house and he had about 3-4 splashes and two covers by Buscema from the first series. I was at his house because I had won one of those splashes for $550 off ebay about 15 years ago. Amazing no one else bid on it, granted it was from issue #11 just a two army men on it. Still in my collection.

silversurfer11_1splash.thumb.jpg.6bf2c75f5d1817696ed3657413c5d8f7.jpg

35 minutes ago, Brian Peck said:

When I picked up the Silver Surfer #10 splash I also inquired about Silver Surfer #10. It wasn't for sale then but I asked if he did decided to sell it to let me know/ Six months later at Wonder Won he decided to sell it and we made a deal.

Of the 16 issues from the series, I think these are the one two not to feature the Silver Surfer. While I would love to own a slash with the Silver Surfer from the series. I am satisfied woth these.

1164529844_Silver-Surfer-10-splash.thumb.jpg.6f900e90a70d9b6f488573c82317c022.jpg

That 10 splash is sweet! Price aside, I'd MUCH rather have this 10 splash than the Chic Stone inked one with Mephisto. No contest (for me). Speaking purely about the art, the layout and Shalla Bal in particular.

9 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

That 10 splash is sweet! Price aside, I'd MUCH rather have this 10 splash than the Chic Stone inked one with Mephisto. No contest (for me). Speaking purely about the art, the layout and Shalla Bal in particular.

Reminds me of his romance work