• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Surfer Splashes - where are they

31 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

When I picked up the Silver Surfer #10 splash I also inquired about Silver Surfer #10. It wasn't for sale then but I asked if he did decided to sell it to let me know/ Six months later at Wonder Won he decided to sell it and we made a deal.

Of the 16 issues from the series, I think these are the one two not to feature the Silver Surfer. While I would love to own a slash with the Silver Surfer from the series. I am satisfied woth these.

1164529844_Silver-Surfer-10-splash.thumb.jpg.6f900e90a70d9b6f488573c82317c022.jpg

Nice splash but i do think there are more than 2 splashes that dont have the Surfer on them.

8 hours ago, grapeape said:

It sold I believe about twenty years ago. Seemed like a lot then but peanuts compared to what it would fetch today. Seems like it was Joe from PIH that was selling it but I’ve bumped my head a lot in the last twenty years.

Ask was $20K ?

I think you might be right. I also remember when the cover for the first issue sold years ago for $40K. A lot of people scoffed at the asking price thinking the buyer had paid too much. I dont think the buyer will be having any regrets today.

2 hours ago, Justin Case said:

I think you might be right. I also remember when the cover for the first issue sold years ago for $40K. A lot of people scoffed at the asking price thinking the buyer had paid too much. I dont think the buyer will be having any regrets today.

The owner of heritage won the surfer 1 cover (Jim Halperin). He still has it. 

Rick Loshiavo posted the Surfer 1 splash on CAF fifteen years ago. That’s why I have the memory of Joe originally possessing the page because it has four hole punches (not affecting the art) 

I sold a Buscema page to PIH for an unheard of $4,000 in 2002. I think it was because I saw a catalog online website for PIH with the SS 1 splash.

Sorry I really try not to put stuff out without 💯 but this is a strong memory so take it with grain of salt. That SS 1 sold early 2000’s and was listed at $20K.

As mentioned the SS 1 cover went for $38k to JH.

Big numbers at the time but not if you believed in the future of OA pricing as collectible. Well bought both:

To the OP Justin Case many Buscema SS pieces are also over seas and not posted. But I’m glad you put this out here. Sometimes it unintentionally uncovers Art we all thought out of the running.

Now even if what you’re looking for surfaces the sticker shock might throw cold water in your dreams. It’s worth the pursuit. This is a big part of collecting (the hunt).

On 7/19/2021 at 10:47 AM, grapeape said:

Rick Loshiavo posted the Surfer 1 splash on CAF fifteen years ago. That’s why I have the memory of Joe originally possessing the page because it has four hole punches (not affecting the art) 

I sold a Buscema page to PIH for an unheard of $4,000 in 2002. I think it was because I saw a catalog online website for PIH with the SS 1 splash.

Sorry I really try not to put stuff out without 💯 but this is a strong memory so take it with grain of salt. That SS 1 sold early 2000’s and was listed at $20K.

As mentioned the SS 1 cover went for $38k to JH.

Big numbers at the time but not if you believed in the future of OA pricing as collectible. Well bought both:

To the OP Justin Case many Buscema SS pieces are also over seas and not posted. But I’m glad you put this out here. Sometimes it unintentionally uncovers Art we all thought out of the running.

Now even if what you’re looking for surfaces the sticker shock might throw cold water in your dreams. It’s worth the pursuit. This is a big part of collecting (the hunt).

I’ve heard a certain French collector has many great surfer pages. 

On 7/19/2021 at 3:56 PM, G.A.tor said:

I’ve heard a certain French collector has many great surfer pages. 

But does he have any splash pages. If so maybe we could convince him that the Euro is going to crash and he needs to sell all his stuff now. :insane:

On 7/19/2021 at 12:27 PM, Justin Case said:

But does he have any splash pages. If so maybe we could convince him that the Euro is going to crash and he needs to sell all his stuff now. :insane:

I think he has many great pages. Ss4 cover. Ff77 cover I heard  he outbid me on a few years ago etc etc